Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM

3,341 posts, read 5,558,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Interesting article today....a bit extreme, but hey...

asiancorrespondent.com/88048/china-beachgoers-wear-ski-masks-as-sun-protection-for-a-fair-skinned-face

"In Chinese culture, fair skin is considered a sign of beauty.
Tan skin also indicates that the person is of a ‘lower class’ or a peasant who work on farms"

How ironic and hypocritical of a country that was built on the work of peasant farmers. That applies to all the Asian countries of course.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candle View Post
How ironic and hypocritical of a country that was built on the work of peasant farmers. That applies to all the Asian countries of course.
Of course it's the same is in the U.S.

Redneck farmer, etc.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:09 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,998,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
Not when people are bleaching their skin because of it. I agree with letting people be themselves, though.
my relatives who are light skin do not bleach

I think you westerners may be ignorant of this....but a typical family in SEAsia can be very diverse in skin tone....I have relatives who are pale skin....I also have an uncle who is dark as hell because he is outdoors fishing 24/7

Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,546,986 times
Tan skin is sexy. I think it has to do with colonialism and living in a "white" world. Time will change ppl's perceptions and show how idiotic some of us are.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:32 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,666 times
Because Asians value lighter skin as it meant that you had the luxury to stay inside and not work in the fields.

It also does not help that most Asian cosmetics and soaps have skin whitening in them which is why most East Asians appear lighter than what the natural skin is suppose to look like (yellow or light mediterrean undertone).

Although, in Japan....it is somewhat becoming acceptable for young men to sport a tan as it depicts manliness but in South Korea.....not so much.

I recall being mistreated much more in the latter in the summer due to my summer tan because I did not avoid the sun like it was the plague nor use skin whitening products religiously like the Koreans.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
Because Asians value lighter skin as it meant that you had the luxury to stay inside and not work in the fields.

It also does not help that most Asian cosmetics and soaps have skin whitening in them which is why most East Asians appear lighter than what the natural skin is suppose to look like (yellow or light mediterrean undertone).

Although, in Japan....it is somewhat becoming acceptable for young men to sport a tan as it depicts manliness but in South Korea.....not so much.

I recall being mistreated much more in the latter in the summer due to my summer tan because I did not avoid the sun like it was the plague nor use skin whitening products religiously like the Koreans.
Some Koreans have super white skin, especially middle aged ladies. I've seen some younger women here though who are quite tanned.

Old 02-27-2013, 06:59 PM
FBF

Notice that I said that "most" East Asians are not naturally very pale which is on par with Northern Europeans....there are always "some" who have naturally very pale skin, however.

The Korean Americans in my area are a shade or two darker than most of the native Koreans because they use only American hygenic products (except for the first generation or traditional Korean Americans) which do not have whitening chemicals in them and actually do not mind the sun.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Notice that I said that "most" East Asians are not naturally very pale which is on par with Northern Europeans....there are always "some" who have naturally very pale skin, however.

The Korean Americans in my area are a shade or two darker than most of the native Koreans because they use only American hygenic products (except for the first generation or traditional Korean Americans) which do not have whitening chemicals in them and actually do not mind the sun.
Yes. Naturally Koreans do seem somewhat pale, but many tan easily and can get pretty dark.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:20 PM
FBF

And yet, those Korean Americans I mentioned were still like that in winter in the Midwest.

They are suppose to look like that NATURALLY!

Most are NOT naturally super pale, especially once you take them away from the skin whitening products they use every day.

Most naturally have a yellow skin undertone, while lighter than most South or Southeastern Asians, they are still a shade or two darker than "pale" Europeans....if it were not for those whitening products.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
And yet, those Korean Americans I mentioned were still like that in winter in the Midwest.

Most are NOT naturally super pale, especially once you take them away from the skin whitening products they use every day.
Yes, I find some of them too pale myself. They should embrace their natural skin colour. I think a lot of Korean beauty is just too artificial in general with the surgery, skin-whitening etc. Also Korea is a cloudy country so not much sunlight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia