Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 05:28 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
I don't think tuk tuks usually have meters, just negotiate a price before you get in.
That used to be the case in Bangkok and everywhere else. Apparently, not any more, according to a buddy who lives near Lat Phrao Road (sort of the NE Bangkok area). I had to go back to reread his email (dated Aug 3). He was recalling most taxis in BKK didn't have meters and motorbike taxis didn't have fixed rates to designated destinations. There were some metered taxis, but you often bargained on the price. That's the way I've known it as well. Apparently (in BKK) that's changed now. He didn't specifically mention tuk-tuks, so I'm not really sure about that, but I would guess they may also be metered now or have some kind of set rates. Sounds like bargaining on prices with those kinds of transportation is becoming a thing of the past in the city. I think it's fair though in that it certainly makes fare rates more consistent.

Here's a couple of articles (from a couple of years ago) with regard to Phuket trying out metered tuk-tuks. The impression I got from my friend about BKK is that the change has been recent. I'll see if I can get a better clarification about that.
Phuket to Trial Metered Tuk-Tuks, says Governor - Phuket Wan

Phuket Governor Staying On To Meter Tuk-Tuks - Phuket Wan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 08:00 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
In BKK, take the sky train, take the busses (I'm not usually out at night in BKK except with my brother in law), take a meter taxi at night. Take a water taxi during the day. They now have a new service that's a little more expensive and touristy but not bad. Trains are great; long distance busses are fine if you don't mind the frigid aircon and loud videos.

Go to Wat Phra Keo, Wat Po, Chatuchak Market on the weekend.
Walk down the street of Khao San Road, but don't get stuck there. Many do.
Me or the OP? I've done Khao San, once was enough.
I guess I'm glad to have the memory though.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,688,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That used to be the case in Bangkok and everywhere else. Apparently, not any more, according to a buddy who lives near Lat Phrao Road (sort of the NE Bangkok area). I had to go back to reread his email (dated Aug 3). He was recalling most taxis in BKK didn't have meters and motorbike taxis didn't have fixed rates to designated destinations. There were some metered taxis, but you often bargained on the price. That's the way I've known it as well. Apparently (in BKK) that's changed now. He didn't specifically mention tuk-tuks, so I'm not really sure about that, but I would guess they may also be metered now or have some kind of set rates. Sounds like bargaining on prices with those kinds of transportation is becoming a thing of the past in the city. I think it's fair though in that it certainly makes fare rates more consistent.

Here's a couple of articles (from a couple of years ago) with regard to Phuket trying out metered tuk-tuks. The impression I got from my friend about BKK is that the change has been recent. I'll see if I can get a better clarification about that.
Phuket to Trial Metered Tuk-Tuks, says Governor - Phuket Wan

Phuket Governor Staying On To Meter Tuk-Tuks - Phuket Wan

In 2011 Bangkok the taxis had and used meters. Most of my tuk tuk experience is from Chiang Mai.

A meter could be rigged, with bargaining you have the option of walking away and finding another ride.
I agree with you about it being more fair in principle but I am skeptical about working in practice.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:11 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlyFeller View Post
In 2011 Bangkok the taxis had and used meters. Most of my tuk tuk experience is from Chiang Mai.

A meter could be rigged, with bargaining you have the option of walking away and finding another ride.
I agree with you about it being more fair in principle but I am skeptical about working in practice.
I just talked with my buddy in BKK, and he said tuk-tuks in the city are not metered. So that settles that question. I wasn't certain because of the metered tuk-tuks put to use in Phuket. They could be rigged up for meters in BKK, but evidently, that's not the case. At least not yet.

As usual, pricing between destinations via tuk-tuk is usually high. Haggling to bargain on a better price can be done, but that can be useless for anyone who has no idea what a fair prce would be. As such, locations frequented by tourists and foreigners are ripe for picking as usual. Tuk-tuks are often more expensive than a metered taxi. Although, in areas away from the international crowds and more in serving the local communities, or in other cities, tuk-tuks can be a bargain, but then the locals know when a price is fair or not.

Motorcycle taxis have fixed rates between known destinations. In general, tuk-tuks are not the cheapest means of transportation in BKK, but I'd recommend any first time visitor to at least ride one once while they're there. They're noisy, and there's plenty of exhaust fumes from the congested traffic, but they're still pretty cool. Maybe best to think of them as a tourist attraction, or for very short jaunts. In other areas, where the locals live, they can still be a reasonable form of transportation. For trips, say from Sukhumvit Road to the Grand Palace, it's cheaper and cooler traveling by air-con metered taxis. In the other hand, you have to watch out for them too. Even though they have meters, they can always take the longer and unnecessary routes to travel between destinations just to rack up a larger fare. I think most drivers will take the shortest route possible, but there are some who don't, the usual claim being that there's too much traffic jam on the short route, so longer route is quicker. That can be true, but not always.

Yeah, we love Chiang Mai as well. Sometimes we'll travel locally in CM by tuk-tuk (depends on the location and how far we're going) but metered taxis are just as convenient. Traffic can be busy in Chiang Mai, but it's nothing like BKK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia