Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:15 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Central Asia is a place for 'adventurer travellers' - it's not exactly the place the typical family or package holiday traveller visits. For scenery, Bishkek in Kyrgyzstan seems the best.

I think Western China is probably more accessible than Central Asia itself, but I'm sure it's doable with the right travel agency and guide. Let me know how it goes though if you ever make it over there!
I would like some adventure travelling. But I would still like a decent place to stay. Can you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I would like some adventure travelling. But I would still like a decent place to stay. Can you recommend?
The internet, as always, is your friend. I can't give any specific recommendations, but as a first timer I would recommend a tour/private guide. Tourist infrastructure in most of Central Asia is basically non-existent.

Old 08-19-2012, 12:33 PM

207 posts, read 707,223 times
You know what's underrated? Armenia, Georgia & Azerbaijan.

Old 08-20-2012, 02:20 AM

5 posts, read 19,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkSam View Post
You know what's underrated? Armenia, Georgia & Azerbaijan.
I was about to make a thread about Azerbaijan. Definitely underrated.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:42 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
I've been to Uzbekistan as an individual tourist without any guided tour and it was awesome!

People writing that is is not a beautiful place may not have been there, have you?

http://www.aeroweb.de/sven/TR/usb/013.jpg

http://www.aeroweb.de/sven/TR/usb/037.jpg

http://www.aeroweb.de/sven/TR/usb/038.jpg

http://www.aeroweb.de/sven/TR/usb/042.jpg

http://www.aeroweb.de/sven/TR/usb/043.jpg

http://www.aeroweb.de/sven/TR/usb/054.jpg

Quote:
Central Asia is easily accessible, you will need a sponsor (a travel agency) for going to Uzbekistan
Hm I just got my visa from the local embassy.

However tourism is just on its way to be developed. I prefer places off the beaten track, and I would love to go there again.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:26 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Hm I just got my visa from the local embassy.
From the Uzbek embassy web site: Consular Section / Visa Information

"Private and tourist visasFor private visits an invitation letter issued by the Immigration Department of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Uzbekistan is required.

Invitation of travel agency in Uzbekistan is required (except for citizens of Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland) for the issuance of tourist visas.

Citizens of Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Spain and Switzerland requested to present travel itinerary only and can request issuance of 1 (one) month multiple entry tourist visa. Processing time - 2 business days after application accepted. Visa Fee - US $ 60.00

In all cases, additional "processing fee" in the amount of US $20 will be collected from the applicant.

Citizens of Japan pay US $20 administrative fee only."

Of course if you are a citizen of one of the countries stated, you do not need a travel agency. I have been to Uzbekistan five times, I am familiar with the visa application steps.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:36 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
Quote:
Of course if you are a citizen of one of the countries stated,..
Yep
Sorry, didn't know that this was a special procedure.

However, it should not be that difficult to get such a permit? I guess more or less every travel agency will issue it for some dollars.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Yep
Sorry, didn't know that this was a special procedure.

However, it should not be that difficult to get such a permit? I guess more or less every travel agency will issue it for some dollars.
I always got mine in Kyrgyzstan, it was straight forward, just wanted the dollars of course.

I know of one person who got it in the states, he had to fly to NYC to be in person at the travel agency as it was the only place issuing the invitation, this was a few years ago so things might have changed. Most people travelling to Uzbekistan I have met generally got the visa in Kazakhstan or Kyrgyzstan.

Old 08-20-2012, 11:38 PM

250 posts, read 661,547 times
Central Asia is remote and curious

Land of the Turks and Persians (the latter applies to Tajikstan)

Inhabited by Caucasian Middle Easterners but not part of the Middle East

A wannabe ocean called the Caspian Sea

A dictator in Turkmenistan who built a theme park about himself

Even the Uyghurs look Caucasian

But some Kazakhs have Mongolian blood and thus look Asian.

It's a wonder how Mongolians and Turks are blood related yet one is Asian and the other is Caucasian.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:53 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Mongols and Turks aren't really related (well no more than any other two peoples), no more than Hungarians and Chinese are related. They do share some somewhat distant cultural similarities though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia