Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2012, 04:56 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,914,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think that has more to do with the K-pop phenomena in Asia right now.

My experience in Shanghai during a business trip last month - went to several expat bars (with the obligatory Philipino rock band playing). The mix was obvious - some upwardly mobile chinese couples, but lots of white american or european xpats with younger chinese womean. The working girls are getting even more agressive in Shanghai towards western men - got groped by one leaving the bar. Putting her arms around me, grabbing my junk, whispering promises of "f*ckee, s*ckee". My coworkers got a laught out of it. If my company gives me an extended tour of duty in Asia I'll probably end up divorced in a month.
I see China is turning into another Thailand.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:21 PM

11,048 posts, read 16,812,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
age range of women in asia who still see caucasians as attractive would be around 26-30ish and are mostly paid professionals....cough hookers cough

younger generation asian women do find the korean men more attractive...and korean men are more likely to find a non-working girl/attractive young asian woman then a western expat would...this is just based on my experiences
I think that it's fair to say that traditionally, one of the main reasons that women in Asia would (allegedly) flock to Western men was because of the indisuputable economic advantages that the West had over the East. As that gap closes, so does the (supposedly) great advantage that Western men (may have) had over Eastern men, in the East. Two wildly unpopular wars, one of which was totally unjustified and uncalled for and which involved the major English-speaking nations (US, UK, CAN, AU) as well as profound economic missteps and increased media focus on social ills and discrimination towards Asian residents (which is often blown grossly out of proportion) have made the West a less attractive option for many women who may have dreamed of marrying into it in previous decades.

In any case, there's no single, solid answer to a question like the original one.

Also, once upon a time, bands like Van Halen, Journey, Cheap Trick, etc. were the absolute hottest draws in Japan; before them were The Beatles and The Stones, and after them were Blur and Radiohead. I remember seeing a photo of a bunch of guys wearing Guns N Roses shirts in secret in Burma in an issue of National Geographic back in the early 90's. Nowadays? Justin Bieber, Katy Perry, and Ke$ha have failed to take off in Asia to anywhere near the degree that their domestic and regional acts now do. In the 80's, American bands were getting paid absurd sums of cash to relocate to Japan, because even if they couldn't gain a foothold in the US, they would blow up in Japan because they were American; in the 60's and 70's, that was how it was with bands from the UK. Alyssa Milano had a successful singing career over there for the simple reason that she was a cute American girl. The paradigm has shifted massively.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:23 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,855,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I think that it's fair to say that traditionally, one of the main reasons that women in Asia would (allegedly) flock to Western men was because of the indisputable economic advantages that the West had over the East. As that gap closes, so does the (supposedly) great advantage that Western men (may have) had over Eastern men, in the East. Two wildly unpopular wars, one of which was totally unjustified and uncalled for and which involved the major English-speaking nations (US, UK, CAN, AU) as well as profound economic missteps and increased media focus on social ills and discrimination towards Asian residents (which is often blown grossly out of proportion) have made the West a less attractive option for many women who may have dreamed of marrying into it in previous decades.

In any case, there's no single, solid answer to a question like the original one.
I have read only a couple of posts here. But the recent incident in India had me thinking. Despite the situation there, mixed marriages are not the norm. In fact where I am, I have seen only two such nuptial reunions; in one, she was born and brought up in Tanzania (can't pinpoint what's so "Asian about her); the other is the wife of our city councillor (both 2nd marriage).

You have a point there. However, girls (say from China/Asia) nowadays tend to go for Asian men in western countries (say Canada). After one year, they split up and take half the assets. These men who go to Asia to bring back a bride is known as "movers" (搬运工).

Old 12-30-2012, 04:15 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,989,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougie86 View Post
I have read only a couple of posts here. But the recent incident in India had me thinking. Despite the situation there, mixed marriages are not the norm. In fact where I am, I have seen only two such nuptial reunions; in one, she was born and brought up in Tanzania (can't pinpoint what's so "Asian about her); the other is the wife of our city councillor (both 2nd marriage).

You have a point there. However, girls (say from China/Asia) nowadays tend to go for Asian men in western countries (say Canada). After one year, they split up and take half the assets. These men who go to Asia to bring back a bride is known as "movers" (搬运工).
interracial marriage in Asia is not the norm either...its just that westerners love to blow it out of proportion

Old 12-30-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
interracial marriage in Asia is not the norm either...its just that westerners love to blow it out of proportion
Maybe it's not that they "love" to blow it out of proportion, could be because in many parts of the west, it is indeed fairly normal and common.

Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 AM

1,486 posts, read 2,380,121 times
I seek out womem who where the cheongsam with elegance, the same with the kimono, and to a lesser degree the Han bok.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:36 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,272,609 times
unlike Asian men, whites are more open minded and usually don't go for the looks especially if there is age or wealth difference.

so if you are a disadvantage Asian woman, whom do you prefer? you compatriot who is choosy or the foreigner who doesn't care about your looks or background?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami0311 View Post
There is no denying a large percentage of Asian women actively seek white men. White men in this society are often put on a pedestal and praised in our society even if they do not deserve it. The white man has achieved this status in society by acts of murder, rape, theft, loot, pillage, and colonialism. These Asian women that date white men clearly have no dignity or self respect.
You're clearly ignorant and bigoted neither of which will ever help you gain a foothold in "this" society.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:18 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,870,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swami0311 View Post
There is no denying a large percentage of Asian women actively seek white men. White men in this society are often put on a pedestal and praised in our society even if they do not deserve it. The white man has achieved this status in society by acts of murder, rape, theft, loot, pillage, and colonialism. These Asian women that date white men clearly have no dignity or self respect.
Not all Asian women that date whites are damaged goods. While most date for dubious reasons, most doesn't mean all. We can try to be a little objective and reasonable here. Now, the Asian women who really have white fever like mad are those born and/or raised in a white majority country, not back in Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
unlike Asian men, whites are more open minded and usually don't go for the looks especially if there is age or wealth difference.

so if you are a disadvantage Asian woman, whom do you prefer? you compatriot who is choosy or the foreigner who doesn't care about your looks or background?
Depends on the country. So far, it's mostly only Filipinos and Vietnamese that choose the foreigner with Korea and Japan at the bottom. The rest overwhelmingly marry someone from their own country who is poor like them. Even then, it's not like half the poor of the Philippines and Vietnam are rushing to get married to a foreigner, even one who is Japanese or Korean.

Old 12-01-2015, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Not all Asian women that date whites are damaged goods. While most date for dubious reasons, most doesn't mean all. We can try to be a little objective and reasonable here. Now, the Asian women who really have white fever like mad are those born and/or raised in a white majority country, not back in Asia.
Insecure men from any race, ethnicity, or nationality often like to fall back on this argument if seeing a woman from their background makes them feel uncomfortable... "only the ugly ones date white guys," "only the fat ones go for black guys," you can basically change the adjective to any other negative slam and the race to anything else and find a bunch of losers who can't get dates who will agree.

I certainly do know some women here in China who are single moms, divorced, come from "bad" families, etc, who go for foreigners specifically because lots of westerners - though not all, of course - aren't judgmental about these things, while most Chinese men would never consider it, at all, ever. But, the majority of Chinese women I see who go after Western men are actually younger, average-to-pretty, educated, and come from an at least middle class background. Some of them have a serious attraction, and others have fetishized it... but again, it's the same stuff you see anywhere else in the world, between any other groups.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 12-01-2015 at 01:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.