Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:45 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyexpat View Post
The Chinese are notorious for hating other cultures and ethnic groups. So Racism is common there. But they will try to keep this part a secret. Just remember what you learned in US HISTORY class about the CHINESE, money don't change anyone for the better.

I know you eat their food and watch shows with oriental people on it and buy their chinese made products, but the reality is be prepared.

If the Chinese hate other neighboring Oriental countries, then just think about what they think of black people from America.

Orientals can be mean toward one another, so just think how they may treat you, expect for someone talk behind your back etc.
Most of the vitriolic hatred between nations is between neighbours, e.g. in Northern Ireland, Israel and Palestine, historically the UK and France, China and Japan, India and Pakistan.etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2013, 11:17 PM

13 posts, read 13,876 times
Once on East nanjin road of shanghai, I saw a group of blacks surrounded by many chinese,. The chinese were queuing to take pics with the group of blacks. The Blacks are very happy with that.

Old 12-11-2013, 03:21 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,102,477 times
"As for Beijing, it was more diverse than Chengdu but I still haven't seen many."...

Why would you expect the same "diversity" in China as you wont in the US or in Europe? The Chinese did not have a history of using slaves from the African mainland to work on plantations to produce cash crops. Hence they do not have the legacy or baggage of racial issues. To them, blacks, blonds etc are all curious foreigners.

The Uyghurs in Xinjiang all have green eyes, and they are technically also Chinese.

There are plenty of African merchants in Guangzhou. Go there if you want "diversity".

Old 12-11-2013, 05:52 AM

1,327 posts, read 2,605,095 times
When my sister visited Shanghai in 2011 with its class, during the visit to the zoo they were more the attraction than the animals.
People were taking pictures of them, not only in the zoo but in many other place as well. (My sister is mixed race and its class group was racially diverse with people of many different races)
She was really suprised by this, she expected Shanghai to be more cosmopolitan and more accustomed to different people.

We had visited Tokyo before, while the city is very homogenous with very few minorities, we were not a kind of attraction stared by people, neither in other smaller and less diverse japanese cities.

Old 12-13-2013, 01:33 AM

13 posts, read 13,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
When my sister visited Shanghai in 2011 with its class, during the visit to the zoo they were more the attraction than the animals.
People were taking pictures of them, not only in the zoo but in many other place as well. (My sister is mixed race and its class group was racially diverse with people of many different races)
She was really suprised by this, she expected Shanghai to be more cosmopolitan and more accustomed to different people.

We had visited Tokyo before, while the city is very homogenous with very few minorities, we were not a kind of attraction stared by people, neither in other smaller and less diverse japanese cities.
Yes ,
CHinese are very curious, and spontaneous。
That is the Chinese personality.

Maybe japanese r also curious, but they will not show their curious so directly as chinese

Old 12-24-2013, 11:04 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,203,482 times
People in East Asia are curious, from what I've heard from my Black cousins who traveled in China, Japan and Thailand. They want to take pictures with us because we are taller, feel our hair, look at our skin. It's just that they're unaccustomed to it. Often times, similar reactions to when they see White people, especially blonde and blue-eyed ones. Most of the time it isn't trying to be rude or prejudiced, just curiosity. Same happened to me when I went to Russia. People were staring because they had never seen a Black person in the flesh before.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:07 AM

33 posts, read 24,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladydlite View Post
I have been offered a teaching position in Shanghai and would like to hear from other people who have visited or lived (preferably) in the area about their experiences. I would like to learn about the weather, nightlife, cost of living and places that cater to ethnic hair care as I am a black woman. I am excited yet extremely nervous about the year abroad, but something tells me I will be fine.
i am chinese ,and i work and live in shanghai . some people in this forum said that chinese people would stare the foreigner with curious,and that make them uneasy. well ,i should say that is not the truth ,maybe that would happen ten years ago ,but it is another story today. there are a lot of foreigners in shanghai ,when i go out ,i can encouter several foreigners in less an hour, to me and to most of shanghai people ,foreigner is common ,nothing different from others, so it cannot cause any curious. as for ,some people here may invite some foreigner friends to take photo together, it is just out of hospitality

Old 12-25-2013, 06:53 PM

38 posts, read 86,069 times
I know Shanghai is an expensive place in China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia