Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 10:23 PM

681 posts, read 1,670,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I doubt that as the Thai people I knew were friendly in some way but still when I tried to get to know them I figured out they were quite reserved.
I agree.... It depends on who you run into. As a Thai American, I can say that a lot of the reservedness is due partially to their upbringing and culture. At the same time, there probably is some sort of language barrier which on their part makes them shy away from engaging in deeper conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 10:34 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,357,750 times
Well, from pictures I've seen, Bangkok looks like a royal mess. I would become emaciated from not eating for the duration of the trip. And I'm not interested in seeing these geeky comb-over types chasing young Thai chicks. This westerner is not interested. No one I know wants to go to Thailand. Everyone I know wants to keep going back to Europe.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Thailand is a popular family destination in some countries, e.g. Sweden.

For some reason, it seems to be the traditional lovechild of the backpacking crowd, with the backpacker ghetto on Khao San Road, although in the last decade more attention has been given to countries in its periphery, e.g. Laos.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:51 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well, from pictures I've seen, Bangkok looks like a royal mess. I would become emaciated from not eating for the duration of the trip. And I'm not interested in seeing these geeky comb-over types chasing young Thai chicks. This westerner is not interested. No one I know wants to go to Thailand. Everyone I know wants to keep going back to Europe.
I guess it because you are a American. Yet here in Australia it is different and all my friendship circles I had in Australia I have known people that have visit Thailand or have a desire to visit there. It because Thailand is closer to Australia than America. In addition many Australians go to Thailand as a stop over destination as they are heading to Europe. It is the same with European backpackers I have met in Australia and a majority I met have admitted have visited Thailand.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:44 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I guess it because you are a American. Yet here in Australia it is different and all my friendship circles I had in Australia I have known people that have visit Thailand or have a desire to visit there. It because Thailand is closer to Australia than America. In addition many Australians go to Thailand as a stop over destination as they are heading to Europe. It is the same with European backpackers I have met in Australia and a majority I met have admitted have visited Thailand.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:49 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,736,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
I know a few Americans who have gone to Thailand and really liked it, however one problem is that it plane fare alone to get there is so expensive not to mention time consuming, that many will just decide to stay closer to home (such as Mexico or the Carribean).

I actually hope to visit Thailand in the future.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:22 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,927,362 times
I really wish Westerners that go to poor countries to prey on their children for sex would die slow horrible deaths. It's absolutely sickening what some of the Thai children have been put through before they turn 13 years old. Some Western countries should be ashamed of what their citizens are doing.

BKK is a great city. Dirty, crowded, busy, full of great food and great people. BKK is dirty, but it has everything, although I much prefer more laid back Chiang Mai. Absolutely beautiful city.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I really wish Westerners that go to poor countries to prey on their children for sex would die slow horrible deaths. It's absolutely sickening what some of the Thai children have been put through before they turn 13 years old. Some Western countries should be ashamed of what their citizens are doing.

BKK is a great city. Dirty, crowded, busy, full of great food and great people. BKK is dirty, but it has everything, although I much prefer more laid back Chiang Mai. Absolutely beautiful city.
Unfortunately, I also blame Thai society for letting this happen. The children that are being sold into sex are often from poor, uneducated families out in the provinces. Imagine a mother and father so poor that they tell their daughter to go into town I.e. Bangkok to sell herself so that she can send money home to support the family? It's a sad situation... And when you're so poor and desperate these kids, instead of being told to go to school to get an education, are being sent out to sell their bodies to horny 50+ year old European men who don't get enough sex at home from their wives.

Other than that I do think that bangkok is a great, busy and bustling, exotic city. I can only stay there and hang out so long, but prefer life out in the provinces where everything and everyone is more laid back.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo234 View Post
I know a few Americans who have gone to Thailand and really liked it, however one problem is that it plane fare alone to get there is so expensive not to mention time consuming, that many will just decide to stay closer to home (such as Mexico or the Carribean).

I actually hope to visit Thailand in the future.
I totally agree with this post. A lot of Americans probably won't be traveling to Thailand due to the fact that it is so far away. also the cost of the airfare is the most expensive part of the vacation in most cases. I would recommend that for an American to visit and enjoy Thailand in it's entirety .... A minimum of 3 weeks must be spent there.

I personally think that you have to be a savvy and experienced traveller to be able to enjoy Thailand on the cheap. Most inexperienced travelers would probably insist on staying in 4 or 5 star hotels for the duration of their entire stay and yet miss out on the essence of really experiencing Thailand....this is where I believe the backpackers have the advantage.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,025,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
I totally agree with this post. A lot of Americans probably won't be traveling to Thailand due to the fact that it is so far away. also the cost of the airfare is the most expensive part of the vacation in most cases. I would recommend that for an American to visit and enjoy Thailand in it's entirety .... A minimum of 3 weeks must be spent there.

I personally think that you have to be a savvy and experienced traveller to be able to enjoy Thailand on the cheap. Most inexperienced travelers would probably insist on staying in 4 or 5 star hotels for the duration of their entire stay and yet miss out on the essence of really experiencing Thailand....this is where I believe the backpackers have the advantage.
If you're not careful the backpacking way of life can be just as oblivious to the real culture of a country, that includes Thailand. Many so-called 'backpackers' are really people who want to party it up as cheaply and possible and hang around tourist haunts frequenting businesses aimed squarely at westerners. 'Serious' travellers can be found at any budget level, as can 'non-serious travellers' or casual sight-seers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia