Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:02 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Lee Kuan Yew knew what he was going. He wanted to separate Singapore from Malaya but do it in a way that made it look like Singapore was being kicked out. Take a look at some scholarly studies, not Wikipedia, aka "Encyclopedia Lite".

Let me guess: You also buy into the UMNO line that they rule for the betterment of Malaysia?
I doubt he would want to separate the island from the rest, seeing that Singapore at the time was not at all developed, with slums and rural villages and had zero natural resources. Even the basic supplies like water and stuff like that was gonna rely on imports, so separation would do the nation no good in the beginning. But hats off to him for rectifying each major issue in Singapore and led her to where she is now.

And do I sound like an UMNO-butt licker to you? If I'm one of the delusional masses, I would choose to believe Singapore pulled herself out of the country and cursed the hell out of LKY for doing that to Malaysia!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
I doubt he would want to separate the island from the rest, seeing that Singapore at the time was not at all developed, with slums and rural villages and had zero natural resources. Even the basic supplies like water and stuff like that was gonna rely on imports, so separation would do the nation no good in the beginning. But hats off to him for rectifying each major issue in Singapore and led her to where she is now.

And do I sound like an UMNO-butt licker to you? If I'm one of the delusional masses, I would choose to believe Singapore pulled herself out of the country and cursed the hell out of LKY for doing that to Malaysia!
Yeah I mean at the time, even though Singapore was a major port, it was a small island with no natural resources. If that was LKY's plan all along why lie about it?

Old 02-21-2013, 11:17 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So you think those were crocodile tears all for show?
Oh yeah.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:

Glad to know you're not one of those UMNOputras!

Old 02-21-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah I mean at the time, even though Singapore was a major port, it was a small island with no natural resources. If that was LKY's plan all along why lie about it?
Probably because he knew that most Singaporeans would have wanted to remain in the Malaya federation. He was afraid of being swallowed by the UMNO horde, and for good reason. The Chinese have not progressed as far under 56 years of UMNO like they have under the PAP in Singapore.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Probably because he knew that most Singaporeans would have wanted to remain in the Malaya federation. He was afraid of being swallowed by the UMNO horde, and for good reason. The Chinese have not progressed as far under 56 years of UMNO like they have under the PAP in Singapore.
It's a pity it's seen as such a racial/ethnic issue. Singapore was supposed to embrace all cultures and creeds, and that I think they've done successfully. All Singaporeans enjoy a better standard of living than they would in Malaysia.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:42 PM
kyh

Quote:
It's a pity it's seen as such a racial/ethnic issue. Singapore was supposed to embrace all cultures and creeds, and that I think they've done successfully. All Singaporeans enjoy a better standard of living than they would in Malaysia.
Yet Malaysian Malays (esp UMNO Malays) complain that Malays are marginalized and neglected by the Singaporean Government and policies, and that almost all of the senior posts are held by Chinese. Hence they always resort to this scaremongering tactic on their Malay brethren in Malaysia so as not to fall for the same trap and vote for the 'wrong' party (the opposition) where the ruling power could potentially be passed to the economically-dominant Chinese community and being rendered powerless in their own land.

Last edited by kyh; 02-22-2013 at 12:17 AM..

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 PM
kyh

I found this blog entry on the plight of Malays in Singapore written by an Indian Singaporean who later became an American and brands himself as a Singaporean dissident opposed to the policies and authoritarianism of the PAP-led Government:

Singapore Dissident: Singapore's unequal racial policies shoud ignite the Malays

Old 02-22-2013, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Yet Malaysian Malays (esp UMNO Malays) complain that Malays are marginalized and neglected by the Singaporean Government and policies, and that almost all of the senior posts are held by Chinese. Hence they always resort to this scaremongering tactic on their Malay brethren in Malaysia so as not to fall for the same trap and vote for the 'wrong' party (the opposition) where the ruling power could potentially be passed to the economically-dominant Chinese community and being rendered powerless in their own land.
Well maybe it's just because they form the majority. I'm not aware of the government putting in place any barriers to stop Malays and Indians rise in power. I hope there isn't any discrimination against them, or some 'old boys network' which favours the Chinese. Singaporeans should think of themselves as just Singaporeans first.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:43 AM

Quote:
I found this blog entry on the plight of Malays in Singapore written by an Indian Singaporean who later became an American and brands himself as a Singaporean dissident opposed to the policies and authoritarianism of the PAP-led Government:

Singapore Dissident: Singapore's unequal racial policies shoud ignite the Malays
Interesting blog post. I thought that they imported a lot of Indians and Bangladeshis for cheap labour? Or are those mostly locals? Because it seems most of the construction crews in Singapore are manned by South Asians. I have heard of the increase of Chinese from the PRC, and I wouldn't want to see China's population diluted, but maybe they target people they need economically, not because of their race? Many Singaporeans seem a bit ruffled about that, that they're taking their jobs.etc. I think the PAP needs to stop and really listen to Singaporeans, and stop being so obsessed with economic growth and begin to maintain more of a sense of national identity.

Malays should be given the same opportunity as anyone else, if they have the right qualifications of course, but I wonder if too many Malays might threaten Singapore's religious plurality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia