Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, whatever.
We go to Hawaii pretty regularly, and the rudest bunch of people there are the Japanese tourists.
Ask the Hawaiians. They will say the same.
They also knocked over my 60+ year-old mother to get to a ticket window.
She was just standing there.
They always stand on the coral (despite signs everywhere saying not to).
They will kick you in the face regularly in crowded snorkel situations.
They have zero respect for the wildlife (that shouldn't be a surprise).

I used to spend a lot of time in Japan and Singapore. Being more orderly doesn't mean you're better mannered.
They sound like Koreans. Many people confuse them.

Having lived in both Korea and Japan for many years, I saw exactly that type of rude behavior every day all day long in South Korea, for approximately 8 years.

I have been in Japan for about 4 1/2 years, and I only saw that type of behavior exactly four times in Japan. Everytime I saw it, I walked near the individual(s), and they were always speaking Korean.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 AM

200 posts, read 482,694 times
Ya outta see the Vietnamese at the airport! First time I flew out was on Jetstar, Hanoi to HCMC. The closer I got to the ticket window, the uglier it got. When I was next and saw a guy trying to beat me to it, I remarked very loudly and gave him a look. He didn't move, but the airline attendant gave me service first (only because she could see I didn't like it). I thought it strange that in a place doing business with many int'l customers, such behavior would go on. But, if as others say here, the Chinese do it as well, then that kind of explains it as there's a very strong Chinese influence in Vietnam (food, language, culture).

Old 10-16-2012, 10:31 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,532 times
Unfortunately, pushing and shoving (and lack of the concept of forming a line) is prevalent in most poor/Third world countries all over the world (and it just happens that I am from one). Don't pass it off as a "culture" thing, it is rude, uncivilized and barbaric no matter how you look at it. In my opinion, the first sign of a civilized society is discipline, order and lines/queues. I don't care what color you are, what language you speak or how rich a history you have. If you can't even form/follow a line and show basic respect towards fellow citizens then you are uncivilized. Period! The West has got this one right and it is about time the rest of the world learn a little bit about it.

Chaos does not always equal "culture".

Last edited by ronyusa; 10-16-2012 at 10:56 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
When I was in Vietnam last year, I was lining up to use an ATM, the only one in the town that was still working. There were about 4 of us, all foreign tourists, behind a couple of Vietnamese people. Anyway, as soon as the Vietnamese people would finish, more Vietnamese people who weren't in the line who were just milling around waiting behind us would barge in. I think at least 3 or 4 did so before the first non-Vietnamese could use the ATM. I even tried to stop them and told them that the people in front were waiting, but they just went in quick. They others, to my annoyance, weren't doing anything but just complained.

Do some Asian countries have no concept of queuing or lining up? Or is it acceptable to just push in, anyone who can get in first gets first dibs? Or were they being rude even by their standards?
You need to be assertive and push back. Once they see that you're being timid or not aggressive, they will take advantage. They will take advantage knowing that you're a tourist too. If you have to use vulgar language, do so....preferably in Vietnamese. I once had an older lady do this to me once. I actually gave her the no-no finger wave and just pushed her out of the way.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:31 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,432 times
What about when you are nudged in other situations? I have gone to two asian supermarkets in two different cities. In one, I was standing by the frozen food section (not in the middle of the aisle) and this older couple came by and nudged me twice. I followed them around the store a bit and they got scared. The second time happened two weeks ago. I was looking at snacks and this guy came by and nudged me as he was walking by. I followed him too and he got scared and sped up to the next aisle. lol

Old 10-16-2012, 10:53 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
Unfortunately, pushing and shoving (and lack of the concept of forming a line) is prevalent in most poor/Third world countries all over the world (and it just happens that I am from one). Don't pass it off as a "culture" thing, it is rude, uncivilized and barbaric no matter how you look at it. In my opinion, the first sign of a civilized society is discipline, order and lines/queues. I don't care what color you are, what language you speak or how rich a history you have. If you can't even form/follow a line and show basic respect towards fellow citizens then you are uncivilized. Period! The West has got this one right and it is about time the rest of the world learn a little bit about it.

Chaos does not always equal "culture".
Since when are Korea and Japan third world countries??

In the Philippines (which is a third world country) pushing and shoving are seen as rude.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:52 AM

696 posts, read 1,301,532 times
From what I hear Japanese are very disciplined? Besides, there may always be some exceptions. That does not invalidate my original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Since when are Korea and Japan third world countries??

In the Philippines (which is a third world country) pushing and shoving are seen as rude.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:28 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
They sound like Koreans. Many people confuse them.
No, it's Japanese tourists across the Pacific rim (trust me, I know the language well enough), esp. in S. America. Polite enough at home, but "katy bar the door" on holiday, with the one general exception being when in the Cont. US. Odd.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:20 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
I'm in Taiwan right now and its probably the most well mannered, ordered Asian country I've been to, maybe the Japanese influence. Everyone stands in a neat line to board trains and the rule of standing on the right side of the escalator is always adhered to. People always offer their seats for old people, who often politely decline. People also seem to say please, thankyou and sorry more than the mainland.

Old 06-10-2014, 05:51 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times
7 Things I’ve Learned About Vietnam

Wow some pretty damning things about the Vietnamese...

I encountered some scammers, a few rather cold, reserved people (as one does at Asian restaurants.etc here), but also plenty of friendly people to balance things out. Maybe the rudeness/lack of etiquette is a cultural thing, to an extent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia