Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 03:08 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times

Advertisements

There was an episode of Anthony Bourdain's food/travel show "Parts Unknown" on CNN Sunday night. He and friend traveled across Thailand. One thing I noticed was the way some women in Chiang Mai city appeared - dressed with few clothes and lots of makeup, as if they were trying to appeal to sex tourists - "dirty old men" from Europe and North America. I have long heard stories about sex tourism in Bangkok. Why is it like this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 03:59 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,435,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
There was an episode of Anthony Bourdain's food/travel show "Parts Unknown" on CNN Sunday night. He and friend traveled across Thailand. One thing I noticed was the way some women in Chiang Mai city appeared - dressed with few clothes and lots of makeup, as if they were trying to appeal to sex tourists - "dirty old men" from Europe and North America. I have long heard stories about sex tourism in Bangkok. Why is it like this?
Anyone who has been to Bangkok knows that sexual tourism is always in your face and there is no getting away from it. Almost everyone's part-time job there is being a pimp.

Sex tourism is big in Thailand because of the vast economic disparities between Thai locals and tourists. You can "rent a girlfriend" for a few dollars a day. There are very few jobs and most women from smaller towns find sex tourism to be their only option. Last I checked, Bangkok was the most visited city in the World. So .. it is big business.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:37 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post

You can "rent a girlfriend" for a few dollars a day.
Have you been to Thailand lately?

I didn't think so.

Thai ladies for hire want a LOT more than a few dollars a day.

Back in the day (my first of 5 trips to Thailand was in 1997) it was possible to get a nice, attractive air-conditioned hotel room for about $25 a night. A date with a pretty bar girl was about the same amount. In those days you got 45 Baht to the dollar.

Prices have quadrupled since then.

Lonely men looking for romance on a budget head to Cambodia or Laos these days.

Now in answer to your question, it is because I believe Siamese society going back hundreds of years always had a tolerant, liberal, and accepting attitude about human sexuality. There was no Victorian "morality" amongst the Siamese. The kings of Siam usually had many wives and scores of courtesans in their harems. Gay people and Transgendered "Kathoey" ("Ladyboys") were viewed with a degree of acceptance found in few places in the world until recently. Prostitution, although not seen as an admirable or desirable profession, was recognized as still being preferable to homelessness and destitution.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:01 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Quote:
Anyone who has been to Bangkok knows that sexual tourism is always in your face and there is no getting away from it. Almost everyone's part-time job there is being a pimp.

Sex tourism is big in Thailand because of the vast economic disparities between Thai locals and tourists. You can "rent a girlfriend" for a few dollars a day. There are very few jobs and most women from smaller towns find sex tourism to be their only option. Last I checked, Bangkok was the most visited city in the World. So .. it is big business.
Yeah and all Thai women are prostitutes ...That's not really an accurate thing to say at all. Maybe those you encountered who make money from tourism, but of course the vast majority of people aren't even involved in prostitution. Plus, the redlight districts are pretty concentration, so people get this idea that all of Thailand is like this when it's basically the few major cities/tourist destinations.

A few dollars? Maybe 20 years ago. Or perhaps an old or really desperate woman, or a middle aged ladyboy.

Old 06-02-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Have you been to Thailand lately?

I didn't think so.
Yeah. 3 years ago. Frankly, I never investigated the rate or used the services. What is the current rate?

Old 06-02-2014, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah and all Thai women are prostitutes ...That's not really an accurate thing to say at all. Maybe those you encountered who make money from tourism, but of course the vast majority of people aren't even involved in prostitution. Plus, the redlight districts are pretty concentration, so people get this idea that all of Thailand is like this when it's basically the few major cities/tourist destinations.

A few dollars? Maybe 20 years ago. Or perhaps an old or really desperate woman, or a middle aged ladyboy.
It was said in jest. I said nothing about women being prostitutes.

And it feels like everyone is a pimp when everyone, from the shopkeepers to the tuk-tuk drivers in Bangkok ask if you want a massage .....

Old 06-02-2014, 06:40 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,680,547 times
Quote:
Yeah. 3 years ago. Frankly, I never investigated the rate or used the services. What is the current rate?
The rate is not really the point, is it?

In any event, as other posters have said, the Victorians never quite made it all the way to Thailand. Consequently, they have a more healthy attitude about sexuality. It doesn't mean that everyone is involved in the sex trade. Quite the contrary. It just means that people in Thailand are normal and not uptight.

Old 06-02-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
It was said in jest. I said nothing about women being prostitutes.

And it feels like everyone is a pimp when everyone, from the shopkeepers to the tuk-tuk drivers in Bangkok ask if you want a massage .....
Yeah I see, but that's what I mean, it was the same when I was in Bangkok and Phuket, but I know it's hardly representative of Thailand as a whole, which is why I find this thread does nothing but perpetuate stereotypes of a country that are only applicable to a small minority of Thais.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yeah I see, but that's what I mean, it was the same when I was in Bangkok and Phuket, but I know it's hardly representative of Thailand as a whole, which is why I find this thread does nothing but perpetuate stereotypes of a country that are only applicable to a small minority of Thais.
That's partly true. But Thailand is not a very big country and Bangkok is it's largest city with 10% of the population.

Old 06-02-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
That's partly true. But Thailand is not a very big country and Bangkok is it's largest city with 10% of the population.
Yes, and Bangkok has a few redlight districts which cover less than 0.1% of the area of the city. Amstersdam has it's redlight districts, as does Berlin. Many Asian cities do too, Singapore, Manila including Angeles City, Taipei, Tokyo, Phnom Penh, Kolkata. It's just Thailand's are a lot more touristy and well-known.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia