Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 AM

645 posts, read 835,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanindonesia View Post
Yeah. But no thanks, I love being Asian and have no plan to become 'race white'. And also most of my friends too.
Well many Asians actually do admire some of white people's feature, like eyes. I think having other eye color than black is really cool and interesting. But does that mean I want to be white ? No, thanks ! Some stupid asian girls do wanna be white though ! Just the same as how some white weaboos wishing they were asian.
Also, I don't see people screaming white people want to be Asian just because they dye their hair black or white people want to be black just because they tan themselves hmmm........
remember, not everything revolves around white people lol. why can't some white people just understand that ? you're only special to some people who never saw any white people, the same special as some people who never saw giraffes or pandas. sorry for the analogy.
This great. Looks like you have a great friends circle! Which is hardly something i can say about most others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:44 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,049,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityguy0 View Post
Is it really a fad in China? In Japan, it's not a "fad", it's a millenniums-old tradition. Light skin means you are elite enough to not had to have worked outside, and it continues to this day (Korea is very similar from what I know).
Most people do consider women with light skin sexy. It is just a fact not just some "fashion", no matter what the reason is.

In China, you can find many famous male actors with relatively dark skin (Chen Kun, Liu Ye, Hu Jun...), but not a single famous actress is dark (except for some comedians maybe).

Old 08-17-2015, 10:59 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,563,388 times
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Albinism

Old 09-06-2015, 07:30 AM

17 posts, read 21,063 times
In Vietnam, whenever someone saw me (I'm a third-generation Vietnamese American) they'd either think that I was from Thailand or the Philippines. But when I spoke Vietnamese, someone would either be very surprised or worst, they would come up to me and recommend sunscreen brands. Yup, getting tanned is not a thing here.

I also noticed that my Vietnamese relatives (both male and female, but mostly female) would put on layers of sunscreen and would hide under the shades when we were at the beach. And the females kept urging me to get in the shades with them.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,099,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
however, it's the reverse in european and north american countries--the darker you are, the more it means that you have the finances to go to tanning beds/salons or be in sunny locations for vacations.
Where do people come up with this nonsense?

I am a middle-class professional in Canada have yet to hear anyone thinking someone is of lesser means because of the whiteness of their skin. I will say that there are many here who look at darker-skinned individuals as being worse off and needing of social assistance because they are perceived as just arriving from poor, socially-backwards countries where education is seen as a privilege, not a right. Comparatively, the whiter you are, the longer you have been here, the more educated you are and the more time your family has had to establish themselves and make their fortune.

I should add that "a healthy tan" is a desired trait in the midst of the short Canadian summer. However if you are sporting a dark complexion in the middle of January, no one here is fooled into thinking you got it simply from spending a week on a beach in Varadero.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:31 AM

On average, America has more sunshine than China (except Tibet, Xinjiang etc.).
Chinese Americans tend to be darker than their counterparts in China. This is particularly true for those in California.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:40 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Where do people come up with this nonsense?

I am a middle-class professional in Canada have yet to hear anyone thinking someone is of lesser means because of the whiteness of their skin. I will say that there are many here who look at darker-skinned individuals as being worse off and needing of social assistance because they are perceived as just arriving from poor, socially-backwards countries where education is seen as a privilege, not a right. Comparatively, the whiter you are, the longer you have been here, the more educated you are and the more time your family has had to establish themselves and make their fortune.

I should add that "a healthy tan" is a desired trait in the midst of the short Canadian summer. However if you are sporting a dark complexion in the middle of January, no one here is fooled into thinking you got it simply from spending a week on a beach in Varadero.
It's a corollary of the theory that lighter skin was traditionally preferred because darker skin is associated with people of lower economic status working in the fields all day. In countries where the majority of people have indoor jobs, where school is out in summer (and children from families with money don't have to work), and where there has been a tradition of the well-to-do "summering" at beaches and lakes, white people with summer tans are those that have the financial means to take time off during the summer. Whatever the merits of these theories, they are both really the same - skin color preference is associated with day to day activites that are driven by economic status.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
It's a corollary of the theory that lighter skin was traditionally preferred because darker skin is associated with people of lower economic status working in the fields all day. In countries where the majority of people have indoor jobs, where school is out in summer (and children from families with money don't have to work), and where there has been a tradition of the well-to-do "summering" at beaches and lakes, white people with summer tans are those that have the financial means to take time off during the summer. Whatever the merits of these theories, they are both really the same - skin color preference is associated with day to day activites that are driven by economic status.
How do you explain toddlers prefer white dolls too? Even black toddlers do so.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:38 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
How do you explain toddlers prefer white dolls too? Even black toddlers do so.
That's quite a broad statement. Links? It seems important to some who are defending the preference for light skin in Asia, to argue that this is natural and that all people share it (across cultures). But that simply is not true in the US. When I was a child (way back in the 1960s) the preference for tanned skin was widely established. Now, with the increased prevelance of Latina, black, and other non-Anglo actors and models, I suspect there is even more or a preference for brown skin then there was in the 60s. Certainly, you're not going to find that preference for the lightest skin tones among the average young American male. From a practical perspective, if you live in a part of the world with a dry, sunny, climate; a low latitude; and/or at a higher elevation, darker skin provides better protection from intense sunshine. For that reason alone, it is common for people who live where I live to wish that they had a base skin tone that was darker.

Last edited by xeric; 09-06-2015 at 10:50 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
That's quite a broad statement. Links? It seems important to the people that are defending the obsession with light skin in Asia, however, to make this seem like a natural preference that everybody shares. But that simply is not true in the US. When I was a child (way back in the 1960s) the preference for tanned skin was widely established. Now, with the increased prevelance of Latina, black, and other non-Anglo actors and models, I suspect there is even more or a preference for brown skin then there was in the 60s. Certainly, you're not going to find that preference for the lightest skin tones among the average young American male. From a practical perspective, if you live in a part of the world with a dry, sunny, climate; a low latitude; and/or at a higher elevation, darker skin provides better protection from intense sunshine. For that reason alone, it is common for people who live where I live to wish that they had a base skin tone that was darker.
No, no part in the world prefers dark skin (on women). Not a single place like that has been found.
Of course, too pale skin (albino) can be scary too, because it looks sick. But that is not what we talk about. We are talking about skin color in the normal range of a population.

Doll tests were popular a while ago but now (I heard) it is strictly constrained. The reason why children prefer dolls with light skin can be complex, including social influences. The bottom line is it occurs very early.

Evo and Proud: The use and abuse of doll tests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia