Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 04:02 PM

681 posts, read 1,671,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks very much Mr. Chad I will take close notes of your suggestions. Besides not eating street food is there any other precautions I can take to make sure I don't get sick from the food? I'm a vegetarian so I do not eat any meat or seafood. How do I know if a restaurant is safe? I guess I could choose the ones recommended in Lonely Planet as a safe bet.
Honestly, even if you take all the precautions in the world you can still get food poisoning even at the best restaurants no matter if you're eating at a good restaurant in the USA/Europe or on Thailand. I would recommend that you go to the drug store and buy some of those pills for "travellers upset stomach" I forgot what they call them...

I would probably stick to eating at restaurants where there are a lot of locals mixed in with expats, mall restaurants and food courts are generally safe. I guarantee you that when you're out and about you are bound to run into Americans/Europeans and other English speaking folk so you'll be ok... and yes you're right, refer to the restaurant recommendations from lonely planet and other tourist guides.

As for other touristy sites, I've pretty much seen them all. but recently in the past few years my trips to Thailand have been for the purpose of visiting friends and relatives, and I've been doing more just to eat where the locals eat, travel how the locals travel and stay in guest houses, or local room rentals vs the 4-5 star hotel with a view of the Chao Pra ya river just to save $$$$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Don't forget the river taxis. There's a new one from the MRT to the Khao San/Wat Phra Keo area.
I'd take the tourist one for an extra 15-20 baht, it's just more comfortable.

On the 5th floor of MBK you can get copy DVDs and eat very cheap at the wonderful food court.

Old 10-23-2012, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Don't forget the river taxis. There's a new one from the MRT to the Khao San/Wat Phra Keo area.
I'd take the tourist one for an extra 15-20 baht, it's just more comfortable.

On the 5th floor of MBK you can get copy DVDs and eat very cheap at the wonderful food court.
I miss the MBK mall and the surrounding areas!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Chad View Post
Honestly, even if you take all the precautions in the world you can still get food poisoning even at the best restaurants no matter if you're eating at a good restaurant in the USA/Europe or on Thailand. I would recommend that you go to the drug store and buy some of those pills for "travellers upset stomach" I forgot what they call them...

I would probably stick to eating at restaurants where there are a lot of locals mixed in with expats, mall restaurants and food courts are generally safe. I guarantee you that when you're out and about you are bound to run into Americans/Europeans and other English speaking folk so you'll be ok... and yes you're right, refer to the restaurant recommendations from lonely planet and other tourist guides.

As for other touristy sites, I've pretty much seen them all. but recently in the past few years my trips to Thailand have been for the purpose of visiting friends and relatives, and I've been doing more just to eat where the locals eat, travel how the locals travel and stay in guest houses, or local room rentals vs the 4-5 star hotel with a view of the Chao Pra ya river just to save $$$$.
I wanted to add that staying with relatives is the best way to save money....but recently I've been biting the bullet and staying in local motels in the sois just so that I can come and go whenever I please without disturbing anyone.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 PM

In the north, I stay for no more than $10/night, with TV and wireless internet and refrigerator.

I prefer staying in my bro's condo when in BKK, right off of the MBT.
I'm getting hungry for my favorite restaurants.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
In the north, I stay for no more than $10/night, with TV and wireless internet and refrigerator.

I prefer staying in my bro's condo when in BKK, right off of the MBT.
I'm getting hungry for my favorite restaurants.
Mall Food Court and Street Food (at trustworthy spots) is the best....now I'm getting hungry!

The only place I dread eating Thai food at is at the airport food court at Suvarnabhumi airport lol

Old 10-23-2012, 11:23 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,407,769 times
Hi chielgirl, do have an recommendations for guest houses in Chiang Mail to stay and base myself when I'm there? I know there is a lot to do...but any highlights you wouldn't miss? I hear a few hours outside the city is nice.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 AM

Oh yes, but let me get back with you more on that.

Are you a quiet guy? What do you like to do?
When will you be there?
First trip, a trek is always good; do you like music, historic sites, massage (you must get massage); etc.

Get a Lonely Planet from the library or spend an hour or two at a B&N.

You can dm me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia