Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 05:56 PM

3,332 posts, read 3,692,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Thanks for not wasting the next few days doing that. It would be annoying to just have you searching all day for all the negatives, while ignoring all my positives of Korea.
Ive read some.. its usually a positive comment finishing off with a but or a negative finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:46 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Ive read some.. its usually a positive comment finishing off with a but or a negative finish.

Ya no...

I have a lot of time in both countries as well and I can relate to Tiger Beer. Both countries are awesome and I would live in either one. I do like Pump over DDR.

Also, Hyundai is lower quality then Toyota, KPop is still not near JPop, Sony is still larger then Samsung outside of Washing Machines and Cell Phones (which their phones are just pure awesome). Incheon, may be voted best, but is a bore compared to Narita.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,531,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Thanks JL, I like the first one. I actually wished they'd sung the whole song in Korean, though, to distinguish themselves.
Here is another KPop group 2NE1...with Lonely and Ugly

LIVE | 110609 | 2NE1 | LONELY | HD | YG ON AIR EP 6 - YouTube

2NE1 - Ugly (Acoustic Version) - YouTube

Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Ya no...

I have a lot of time in both countries as well and I can relate to Tiger Beer. Both countries are awesome and I would live in either one. I do like Pump over DDR.

Also, Hyundai is lower quality then Toyota, KPop is still not near JPop, Sony is still larger then Samsung outside of Washing Machines and Cell Phones (which their phones are just pure awesome). Incheon, may be voted best, but is a bore compared to Narita.
Samsungs revenue is higher then Sony.
Read KBB reviews for hyundais
kpop is much bigger internationally
No comment on the airport topic

Either way Japan is more advanced in numerous ways, and it only makes sense. Japan has been an advanced nation for much longer.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Samsungs revenue is higher then Sony.
Read KBB reviews for hyundais
kpop is much bigger internationally
No comment on the airport topic

Either way Japan is more advanced in numerous ways, and it only makes sense. Japan has been an advanced nation for much longer.
I read consumer reports (ranked #1 in reliability), edmunds and what not to back up my data on Toyota.
Samsungs, revenue is higher because of their cell phones and washing machines. Really because of their awesome phones. Sony still makes much better Televisions, car radios and recorded media devices.
You are probably right on Kpop, I forgot how much I saw them on TV when I am in Japan, speaking of Korean music I do love some Novasonic and Seo Taiji when in the mood.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Ya no...

Thanks, Momotaro!

I think it's only natural. I lived in South Korea for 8 years, and I think anyone who has, sees good and bad, and reports both good and bad.

In my general observation, it's only a person who has only read about a place, or only spent a short holiday in a place, who'll see 100% all positives with no downsides whatsoever to a place.

Quote:
It's interesting you keep wanting to compare Korea and Japan.

I think I've stated many times throughout these threads about what I like more about Korea. By the way, the Sony vs. Hyundai are things I never think about.

But, since you seem to really only want to hear the great things about Korea and the bad things about Japan. I'll state here on the thread, so you don't have to search many other of my posts where I'm sure I've stated them.

I think the nightlife in South Korea significantly more fun. I think that Korea as a much better drinking culture, the bars are more interesting, the students are more active with English, etc. Korea uses more English in public on signs, subway maps, etc. I loved all the neon lights in Korea at night (they have them in Japan too, but they have more character in Korea). I love Korean food about 100 times more than Japanese food. I regularly eat Korean food in Japan. When I go back to the U.S. to visit, I regularly seek out Korean restaurants, whereas I almost never seek out Japanese food. I definitely prefer the Korean written language to the Japanese written language by a LONG shot!

I could probably write at least 20 things I like more about Korea. I could also easily write 20 things I like more about Japan. But, I'll avoid doing that on this post, so I don't look like a Korea hater.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Momotaro!

I think it's only natural. I lived in South Korea for 8 years, and I think anyone who has, sees good and bad, and reports both good and bad.

In my general observation, it's only a person who has only read about a place, or only spent a short holiday in a place, who'll see 100% all positives with no downsides whatsoever to a place.

I think the nightlife in South Korea significantly more fun. I think that Korea as a much better drinking culture, the bars are more interesting, the students are more active with English, etc. Korea uses more English in public on signs, subway maps, etc. I loved all the neon lights in Korea at night (they have them in Japan too, but they have more character in Korea). I love Korean food about 100 times more than Japanese food. I regularly eat Korean food in Japan. When I go back to the U.S. to visit, I regularly seek out Korean restaurants, whereas I almost never seek out Japanese food. I definitely prefer the Korean written language to the Japanese written language by a LONG shot!
Nothing better then sitting down at a Korean BBQ with Soju or Hite in hand. I also enjoy the nightlife significantly more in Korea then Japan. You are right about the signs, so much more character. Anytime I went out in my 2 years there, I was never treated bad and often received free food to go with my drinks. I never went to the soldier areas or tourist areas, so I think they liked having the random foreigner come to their place, which soon became a regular foreigner.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:17 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,991,722 times
Nothing wrong with Korea becoming cool. The more "cool" nations there are, the better! It's logically impossible to only have just America being the cool one!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Momotaro!

It's interesting you keep wanting to compare Korea and Japan.

I think I've stated many times throughout these threads about what I like more about Korea. By the way, the Sony vs. Hyundai are things I never think about.

But, since you seem to really only want to hear the great things about Korea and the bad things about Japan. I'll state here on the thread, so you don't have to search many other of my posts where I'm sure I've stated them.

I could probably write at least 20 things I like more about Korea. I could also easily write 20 things I like more about Japan. But, I'll avoid doing that on this post, so I don't look like a Korea hater.
How nice of you
I enjoy both Japan and Korea and have been to both on numerous occasions.
However when you say comments ike "Koreans are too Korean" within a negative comment, sort of dumbfounds me a bit. You love the Japanese people and its culture yet who the heck would say they are too Japanese? I would assume the Koreans would be the most "too Korean" like the Japanese being too Japanese. Its a very generic comment while being condescending.

I super excited for trip coming up which includes a 4day stop to Hokkaido to see a college buddy! Shes too Japanese for me though!

Old 11-03-2012, 12:59 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Nothing better then sitting down at a Korean BBQ with Soju or Hite in hand. I also enjoy the nightlife significantly more in Korea then Japan. You are right about the signs, so much more character. Anytime I went out in my 2 years there, I was never treated bad and often received free food to go with my drinks. I never went to the soldier areas or tourist areas, so I think they liked having the random foreigner come to their place, which soon became a regular foreigner.
Koreans seem to let lose a bit more than the reserved Japanese, although if you've seen Japanese businessmen on the sake. Both nations have their fair share of eccentrics (despite being known for their conformism). You can find all kinds of eclectic subcultures in the underbellies of Seoul, Tokyo and Osaka.

My fascination for Japan has been more long-standing and deep so I'll visit first, but Korea will be worth a stop-over. Architecturally, neither rate that highly compared to Europe IMO (mostly Chinese derived), but their whole way of life seems very distinct, even within Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia