Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:25 AM

317 posts, read 412,541 times

Advertisements

My first time ever in Korea was in the 1980s, and at that time everybody pretty much dressed the same and had the same haircut. But even then I was hooked on Korean culture, food and music.

After several decades I've seen Hallyu and Korean pop culture become a world phenomenon.

So what happened? What made the world realize that Korea is as cool as I knew it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 01:49 AM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
My first time ever in Korea was in the 1980s, and at that time everybody pretty much dressed the same and had the same haircut. But even then I was hooked on Korean culture, food and music.

After several decades I've seen Hallyu and Korean pop culture become a world phenomenon.

So what happened? What made the world realize that Korea is as cool as I knew it was?
Korean Immigrants taking there culture with them? Quality products from household names such as Samsung and Hyundai? Excellent films and TV programs also come out of Korea, K Pop I will give a miss for the most part these days, I dont like the modern boy and girl bands which seem to dominate it.

Still i dont think Korea is considerd that cool - yet! Its still hard to find any western tourists in the country. I went to the world expo in Yeosu a couple of months ago, and was pretty much the only white person among a crowd of a hundred thousand pepole.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-16-2012 at 02:06 AM..

Old 10-16-2012, 04:49 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
I lived in South Korea for around 8 years total. It never seemed 'cool' to me, especially not the music. I always wished that the Korean audience would appreciate any music that wasn't Korean K-Pop.

That being said, I did quite like Korean Films. However, I never lived korean soap operas (which seem to be super popular). I did like some of their comedy on TV. Lots of 'professional full-time entertainers' who just do ridiculous things and overuse the slow-mo cameras to some very comedic effects.

I also absolutely love Korean food. That's probably the one thing I miss the most. The Korean BBQ (as they call it outside of Korea) could certainly be labeled 'cool'. You cook the meat at your table, and you get to cut it up with scissors.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:17 AM

376 posts, read 652,725 times
Default Korea not so cool IMO

Quote:

I worked in Seoul for 8 months last year and I don't think it's that cool. They are highly motivated and work hard at perfecting everything they do. But I agree they are also very stylish and the food is healthy and delicious (except for Kimshee...yuck). They are great marketers and copiers of technology and have matched Apple with the Galaxy & Hyundai cars are basically equivalent to Japanese.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:

KPOP is gaining quite a bit of popularity around the world...and that beef along with the awesome Kimchi!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:02 AM

100 posts, read 242,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Tiger View Post
I worked in Seoul for 8 months last year and I don't think it's that cool. They are highly motivated and work hard at perfecting everything they do. But I agree they are also very stylish and the food is healthy and delicious (except for Kimshee...yuck). They are great marketers and copiers of technology and have matched Apple with the Galaxy & Hyundai cars are basically equivalent to Japanese.
You're right about Samsung; I do love my Android.. However, they have matched the Japanese with Hyundai?? Excuse me, have you ever driven a Hyundai and then right after driven a Toyota? There is hardly a comparison. I will take my Toyota anyday over a Hyundai, unless a bumpy, rough ride with almost completely inferior parts through and through seems what you call "equivalent". I would put my Toyota up against any luxury car as far as smooth ride, handling and reliability. The Japanese, win here, IMO.

I use to think Koreans were not that cool, until I started watching Lost.. Yeah, it is a bit Hollywood and fantasy, but isn't it Hollywood and fantasies that make Americans so cool? I always liked the Character Jin and just thought he was a bad a$$ and rather cool. I had a whole new appreciation for South Indian actors as well though with the obvious Dravidian South Indian actor (Naveen Andrews) who was excellent, yet hardly could pass himself as an Iraqi arab he played in the same show, Saeed. I felt Jin's character was rather authentic and it gave me a whole new feel of Korean culture and mindset. Obviously, through the Hollywood perspective, but some of it must have been authentic.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I too have noticed a surge in the popularity of Korean culture, including the music and, dare I say it, kitsch. It doesn't seem all that unique/different to Japanese culture to be honest, I only really started hearing a lot about Korea fairly recently. Don't care for 'K-Pop' (Gangnam style is annoyingly catchy lol) and it seems tons of Korean grocery shops have just sprouted here out of nowhere. I love their snacks and desserts, though, like mochi ice cream (I know it's Japanese but the ones we get tend to be made in Korea). Korean food in general is quite tasty, beef bulgogi and kimchi pancakes FTW lol.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest7 View Post
I use to think Koreans were not that cool, until I started watching Lost.. Yeah, it is a bit Hollywood and fantasy, but isn't it Hollywood and fantasies that make Americans so cool? I always liked the Character Jin and just thought he was a bad a$$ and rather cool. I had a whole new appreciation for South Indian actors as well though with the obvious Dravidian South Indian actor (Naveen Andrews) who was excellent, yet hardly could pass himself as an Iraqi arab he played in the same show, Saeed. I felt Jin's character was rather authentic and it gave me a whole new feel of Korean culture and mindset. Obviously, through the Hollywood perspective, but some of it must have been authentic.
'Jin' was actually born and raised in Hawaii. He has a bit more muscle to him than most Koreans. But most Koreans still have that attitude, presense, way of dealing with people though.

His facial structure, the bones, jawline, etc. is very CLASSIC Korean.

Personally, I've always really got on really well with Koreans I've known outside of Korea. Inside Korea, they can be a bit 'too Korean', which doesn't make much sense until a person actually spends a lot of time there.

But, yeah, he's a cool looking guy. Interesting about 'Saeed', as I've met so few Iraqis in my life, I had no idea that he didn't actually look like one. If he's South Asian, that puts a whole new respect for South Asians for me.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:32 AM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Aside from that song Gungnam style, what is so cool about Korea right now? That will fade soon.

Having grown up in northern NJ, where there were many koreans, they seem to be the only people who think their culture is so cool.

As for those corporations, they are global companies correct? They have lots of owners on wall street, who happen to own much of the other competitors. Maybe that is how they have good products. Those mutual owners are taking research spreading it amongst their assets.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:02 AM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastMeetsWest7 View Post
Excuse me, have you ever driven a Hyundai and then right after driven a Toyota? There is hardly a comparison. I will take my Toyota anyday over a Hyundai, unless a bumpy, rough ride with almost completely inferior parts through and through seems what you call "equivalent". I would put my Toyota up against any luxury car as far as smooth ride, handling and reliability. The Japanese, win here, IMO.
I've driven a Hyundai and a Lexus back-to-back and I was pleasantly surprised by the performance and quality of the Hyundai. For the price, I'll take a Hyundai Genesis sedan over a Toyota Avalon, Lexus IS, Lexus ES, and Lexus GS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia