Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 12:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,069,986 times

Advertisements

This book provoked a great public outcry and condemnation of the author, last year

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 05:05 PM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd say the same could be said for American culture. They're so obsessed with winning and losing and being a 'winner' and a 'loser.'
True about American culture but I find Chinese culture is more harsh and critical of failure in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfwitwanderer View Post
My opinion (also as a Chinese) is that we are more risk-averse than Western (American society). It's difficult to generalize either side, but the Chinese mindset is that any kind of failure is frowned upon, and so it is often swept under the rug, so to speak, whereas with the Western mindset, failure is more of an open possibility and something to overcome. I think it has to do largely with the Chinese emphasis on the "face" value of things, where one must look appealing and successful on the outside, no matter how much of a mess you are behind the scenes. As a consequence of this, no right-minded Chinese would ever consider failure as an ordinary part of life, since a failure would cause one to significantly "lose face." And the ultimate consequence to this, as I'm finding, is that we are less encouraged (sometimes even advised against) taking risks that have a good possibility of failure (and of course, with that, great reward).
I found that disregarding any artificial need to appease to "face" has made it more straight forward to achieve success, no matter how bumpy the path is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
This book provoked a great public outcry and condemnation of the author, last year

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Not to digress but it seems pretty straight forward that a child raised in such a strict and demanding household will be more prone to experience failure in their childhood learning.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM

54 posts, read 61,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
From what I've experienced, failure is looked upon more pessimistically in my own culture (Chinese) than in Western culture where it's sometimes looked upon as a legitimate learning experience.

Is there any deeper cultural origins to this fear of failure (if any)? I'm a big fan of Tomas Watson's quote: "Want great success? Double your rate of failure!" but it doesn't seem like this sort of ideal would fly well in Chinese culture...
Probably not

Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 AM

16 posts, read 26,285 times
Everyone fears that one would fail. This fear drives individuals to take action against failing.

If fear of failure prevents one fom trying to succeed in what is worthwhile, then the fear is too great.

If fear of failure prevents one from failing, then it is a very good thing.

How to deal with failure is very important, for when a failure/imperfection occurs, it should be examined to learn lessons to do better. Honesty is vital to benefit from this activity.

I still don't see fear of failure as particularly asian.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwinaLee-UK View Post
Everyone fears that one would fail. This fear drives individuals to take action against failing.

If fear of failure prevents one fom trying to succeed in what is worthwhile, then the fear is too great.

If fear of failure prevents one from failing, then it is a very good thing.

How to deal with failure is very important, for when a failure/imperfection occurs, it should be examined to learn lessons to do better. Honesty is vital to benefit from this activity.

I still don't see fear of failure as particularly asian.
Me either. I think it's ingrained in human culture/society in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia