Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times

Advertisements

I've been in Taiwan for the past two weeks and will be leaving in a couple of days. I can say I've had a great time so far, the people have been great and the place has exceeded my expectations. Taipei is a dynamic city with tons to see, do, eat and shop, there's lots to do at almost all hours, in some ways it rivals Hong Kong or Singapore as a vibrant modern city. If it has a weakness (to some people) it might be it's lack of skyline. In terms of day trips near the city it has tons of nature and old quaint villages and seaports, probably rivals Hong Kong in this category.

The rest of Taiwan has some pretty awesome natural scenery, the mountains especially and gorges like Taroko gorge on the east coast. I learned a little about the Taiwanese aborigines, whom I knew little of before my trip, and they were really friendly. I think Taiwan is a nation still not too 'ruined' by tourism, although some of the 'natural' sights are a bit overrun with hotels etc for mostly Asian tourists, especially Sun Moon Lake. I guess the Taiwanese people themselves have surprised me, very orderly, well-mannered, and seemingly genuinely friendly, a contrast to say Hong Kong. I will probably return someday. I'll do a longer blog/write-up, but for now have to say it's well worth coming here. In many ways a more pleasant, less stressful experience than the PRC or indeed many other Asian countries (lack of touts for one). Not to say one shouldn't go to those other countries. If Taiwan lacks one thing, it's a long history - but that's sort of incorrect, as it has the aboriginal history.

If you are interested in coming to Taiwan or want to ask any questions feel free to ask, and I will give my best non-expert opinion lol.

Old 10-30-2012, 01:05 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Glad you had a good time! I knew you would. I'd say your review is exactly right.

Fun fact; most of those asian tourists you saw were probably mainlanders. Taiwan's tourism industry used to be pretty sleepy, but now it's going gangbusters with thousands upon thousands of mainlanders flying over every day to see the place.

In 2009 when we were touring the PRC, Ma formally opened up direct flights between the mainland and Taiwan. It was so nice to be able to fly direct from Beijing to Taipei.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:49 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
I think Taiwan gets dismissed often because of how interesting Southeast Asia can be.

I also like Taiwan, but it's low on the list, when thinking of all the other options in Asia. Actually even if I compare Taiwan with Southeast Asia or Northeast Asia, many other countries would get higher positioned on the list to see.

But, yeah, Taiwan itself is fairly interesting. I also thought it packed a good solid punch of mountains, beaches, city, countryside. Yet, at the same time, as much as I liked that, it's been difficult for me to buy a second ticket to visit a second time, when so many other places in the region beckon louder.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think Taiwan gets dismissed often because of how interesting Southeast Asia can be.

I also like Taiwan, but it's low on the list, when thinking of all the other options in Asia. Actually even if I compare Taiwan with Southeast Asia or Northeast Asia, many other countries would get higher positioned on the list to see.

But, yeah, Taiwan itself is fairly interesting. I also thought it packed a good solid punch of mountains, beaches, city, countryside. Yet, at the same time, as much as I liked that, it's been difficult for me to buy a second ticket to visit a second time, when so many other places in the region beckon louder.
That's true. SE Asia is pretty packed with tourist hot-spots. Many people travelling to that region want a tropical vacation including a lot of time at a beach resort, not something Taiwan is known for. Taiwan has some nice beaches, but the cloudy weather is a bit of a turn-off.

What Taiwan DOES have, though, is often unique. It's scenery is more spectacular than say Thailand or Vietnam, indeed Yushan or Jade Mountain is higher than Mt. Fuji. Taroko Gorge really should be a World Heritage site.

Taipei definitely gets overshadowed by China, Japan, even Korea, even though it's got it's own style. Urban Taiwan is a chance to see a lot of Chinese culture that's gone from the mainland. The aboriginal native culture is actually being promoted more than before, it's quite unique among the Austronesian cultures.

Thailand is great but I think it's sort of overrated. I didn't spend that much time there but aside from the food and maybe cheap massages, it didn't thrill me. Vietnam got a bit boring but I think I prefer it. I think I'd prefer Myanmar too. The Philippines is also way off the radar for many people when it should be more visited.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:33 AM

7,034 posts, read 14,474,847 times
I've always thought of Taiwanese culture as a mix of Chinese (mainland, minus the politics) and Japanese more so than their own.. Guess I'll have to visit some day (only been in their airport so far.)

Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I've always thought of Taiwanese culture as a mix of Chinese (mainland, minus the politics) and Japanese more so than their own.. Guess I'll have to visit some day (only been in their airport so far.)
There's also the indigenous. Bamboo sticky rice, for instance. Genetically one study suggested 88% of Taiwanese have some aboriginal ancestry.

Japanese influence is pervasive. Japanese food is just as common as Chinese/Taiwanese food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia