U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 09:18 AM

987 posts, read 235,948 times

Advertisements

The younger the person, or the more international contact a city has, the more foreign cuisines.

Places which were colonies of other countries may still have some foreign food commonly eaten in them.

Some foreign cuisines bars and restaurants have mainly foreign customers. Some others are full of mostly citizens of the country.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-19-2020, 09:25 AM

13,575 posts, read 8,703,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Figured this article might be pertinent: Yoshoku

Yoshoku means western food and is the category of Japanicized (real word?) Western food, but have been in the mainstream so long and are so drastically altered in many cases that they are still considered Japanese food. I'm pretty much way into all of it, especially hayashi rice.

There's also a much less codified bit of it (and wikipedia doesn't seem to have much on it) for China and Taiwan--especially with old-style Shanghainese cuisine, including what old Shanghai believed was western cuisine though very much different. Unfortunately, that seems to be more and more lost with each passing year and much of that was already forgotten it seems especially as it was western and often eaten by the middle class or well-to-do. I should probably try to spruce up the wikipedia articles on that because it's barely scratching the surface.
Yes, good points.

As for old-style Shanghainese cuisine, one Westernized dish that has become localized is borscht - beet soup. You can also find it in Hong Kong, at the localized Western cafes called tea cafes (cha caan ting).

Old 07-19-2020, 01:36 PM

36,850 posts, read 15,672,204 times
In all my years of visiting and then living in Thailand, never once did Thai friends accept one of my suggestions to try another cuisine for dinner. Never. Not once. The closest they would get would be a few Chinese dishes.

Old 07-19-2020, 03:56 PM

7,570 posts, read 8,511,720 times
The large international cities usually have pretty much everything you'd want. Ie, Tokyo, HK, Singapore, Bangkok, etc. In most cases the food is way more expensive than local fare.

To me (admittedly biased) HK is probably the best. I can tell you they pride themselves in (well trying to) doing all other cuisines better in HK lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
Funny that Trimac should mention French food in Vietnam. Here in Seattle there's a particular French pastry place that used to be run by a French woman, but handed it down to a Vietnamese guy. Wretched pastries, but still funny to see the parallel.
It's really not strange at all. Vietnamese cuisine is hugely influenced by France, particularly the bakery items. I know Anthony Bourdain said the best French baguettes in the world are in Vietnam.

Old 07-19-2020, 05:26 PM

23,552 posts, read 11,473,084 times
I can't answer how often locals in Asian countries eat foreign food, but will note that when I was in Okinawa, Japan I had some excellent Mexican and Indian food, which was a relief as I wasn't able to find that back home in Honolulu.

Apart from this, some Americanized fast food options tend to be pretty common in many Asian countries (McDonalds, KFC, etc.). There are some Asian twists to some of the menu items, but I'd still call it foreign food in these countries.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:03 PM

7,124 posts, read 4,926,188 times
In Pattaya you’ll find just about every foreign cuisine, Asian and European, imaginable catering to the thousands of international tourist visiting the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.