Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 03:30 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,995,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Huh? How can you tell her nationality right away? Aren't filipinas mostly dark skinned?
She looks either Malaysian or Singaporean to me.

thats a stereotype(an overused one at that....I take it you only know about Philippines from the images of the slums you see on the news).....she is a filipina from the rural central islands...racially different from the negrid types you probably see

filipinos who arent dark skinned
(nurses convention in visayas region)

in her youtube video where I took that image from....she said she was filipina...and she spoke waray in one of her videos(that is a language endogenous within the eastern portion of the Visayas)

Last edited by ejay1; 11-28-2012 at 03:50 AM..

Old 11-28-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
'Interracial' seems to imply black, white, asian.

However, they would be international or multinational.

Interesting that the photo is of a Korean man and a Southeast Asian woman. Due to the huge shortage of women in Korea, plus the higher education/status of Korean women in Korea, more and more middle-aged Koreans are looking to southeast asian for wives.
that is true...in the Philippines it is usually from visayas region where these wives come from....as its more likely to find a east asian phenotype wife from that region

most popular foreign wives in korea are chinese, vietnamese, and filipinas from visayas region

Old 11-30-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
'Interracial' seems to imply black, white, asian.

However, they would be international or multinational.

Interesting that the photo is of a Korean man and a Southeast Asian woman. Due to the huge shortage of women in Korea, plus the higher education/status of Korean women in Korea, more and more middle-aged Koreans are looking to southeast asian for wives.
its quite tricky....because you have some individuals who may not be asian by race...but live in Asia

sometimes you have non-asians grouped together with asians....and are collectively called an non-asian group due to being in the same country....but they are obviously different from each other

people can make a argument that filipinos are not asian due to the non-asians living within the major capital region of the Philippines...but you can also make a claim that filipinos are asian there are locals who are racially asians living everywhere else in the Philippines

the same can be said in some european countries...if you go to a major capital/city in some european countries...it feels like your in Ghana or Somalia....but if you look at the countryside its mostly europeans

so a frenchmen marrying a swedish would not be a interracial patnership...but if it was a french national of african descent marrying a swedish person then it would be interracial

Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Khan View Post
Race is a very tricky subject. Biologists will tell you that there is often greater genetic diversity within a "race" than there is between different "races."

Race, imo, is a man made construct. If someone asked me what race I was, I would say "human."
This. The concept of 'race' and by extension 'interracial' is a human categorisation of groups of people that look 'somewhat similar' but ignores the fact physical phenotypes are a spectrum, and tend to cluster. That's why it would be hard to force groups such as Uzbeks/Uyghars or Yemenis under the white/black/asian American dichotomy.

It should just be called a family. Why the need to mention it's interracial or intercultural? Culture is far more important than 'race', IMO, a white American and an Asian American will have more in common than to people from Europe or Asia.

Old 12-01-2012, 08:36 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Huh? How can you tell her nationality right away? Aren't filipinas mostly dark skinned?
She looks either Malaysian or Singaporean to me.
Malaysia and Singapore are both multicultural and 'multiracial' country, but I assume she looks like a typical Malaysian/Singaporean of Chinese ancestry.

If someone said they're Filipino and Korean I'd actually have guessed the man was Filipino. The Philippines itself is quite a mix of different people.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Khan View Post
Race is a very tricky subject. Biologists will tell you that there is often greater genetic diversity within a "race" than there is between different "races."
The greatest diversity is within one socio-linguistic group. Then comes the diversity within a single "race." On average, only about 5% of diversity between any two randomly selected individuals can be explained by "race." And even then, there are no clear dividing lines as "race" is a spectrum, not categories.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:56 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,528,733 times
Korean men are increasingly marrying Vietnamese women....

Old 12-01-2012, 01:38 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,027 times
The woman probably has East Asian ancestry. Native (indigenous) Filipinos are of the Austronesian stock (which is the same as the natives of Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia) and they will mostly exhibit an olive-tanned skin and double-lid eyes, and no denying that the Philippines have a significant Chinese and Korean population - which I assume her to have possibly hailed from one of these communities.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
The woman probably has East Asian ancestry. Native (indigenous) Filipinos are of the Austronesian stock (which is the same as the natives of Malaysia, Brunei, Indonesia) and they will mostly exhibit an olive-tanned skin and double-lid eyes, and no denying that the Philippines have a significant Chinese and Korean population - which I assume her to have possibly hailed from one of these communities.
from my understanding she has no chinese ancestry...she just happens to look east asian
the koreans in the Philippines are just students studying english, tourists, retirees, and missionaries trying to convert christians into christianity....lol
The Philippines chinese population is situated in Manila and sometimes Cebu...she is from a provincial area in eastern visayas...which is populated by farmers/locals..hence why she married a korean man

which is why I asked the question if you would consider them an interracial family...given that she is a filipina native married to a korean native...if she was chinese ethnic I wouldnt have never bothered to ask this question...because nobody doubts that chinese are racially asian.....though people do doubt if you are a local from the Philippines...even if you look stereotypically east asian

Indonesia also has non-chinese ethnics who look east asian as well

ethnic Palembang girl from Indonesia

btw when talking about the olive skinned double eyelid types...they are no different from the local east asian phenotype ones in terms of race...they would both be austronesian

the only ones I would consider to be a different race would be the tagalogs(negrito hybrids)

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 02:32 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,027 times
Most people in Palembang are ethnic Malays, and I would say the majority are probably as tanned as their counterparts in Malaysia. That girl might be a rare exception.

I'm from Malaysia and am of Chinese descent - here, if a Chinese marries a Malay or Indian, we would deem either way an interracial marriage - and yes, we're all Asians but we're obviously different from each other in appearance, generally speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia