Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:58 AM

15 posts, read 19,320 times

Advertisements

The OP was talking about East Asians. In the strict sense, East Asia and Southeast Asia are 2 different regions with no overlap. This is the viewed of most East Asians. South China Sea is located in Southeast Asia with some islands being ruled by PRC and ROC, East Asian regimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Europeans are given to national/ethnic stereotyping (rude French, lazy Italians, stuck-up Brits, humorless Germans, etc.) so I was wondering to what extent this also exists in east Asia.

For example, do the Japanese think the Chinese are rude?

Are Koreans viewed as pushy?

Are there difference in societal attitudes within China -- for example, do northerners look down on Southerners or vice versa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:22 AM

40 posts, read 56,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fellowjoe View Post
My point being is that Kpop owes its popularity to its aggressive advertising campaign which Japan did not resort to, not because Kpop music genuinely appeals more to the music lovers out there.

And back to the main topic, this aggressive advertising on the part of the Korean music industry and the government is partly a move to overtake Japan as the next biggest cultural exporter of Asia. Korea has always wanted to overtake Japan, be it pop culture or in economic dominance in East Asia.

The main issue binding them together, though, is the existence of a common adversary (North Korea).
Most of the popularity and fame comes from the entertainment companies such as SM, YG. They became famous, and the government is supporting in someway. After the fame --> as you wrote aggressive advertising (mostly by big music companies)
But besides music- animation or cultures and stuff, japan goverment does a lot of advertising/marketing.

Last edited by Iphoneneedsbattery; 09-04-2014 at 10:48 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 10:34 AM

15 posts, read 19,320 times
I think the Mainland Chinese government is not discouraging South Korean culture to flourish in her country. Most of the tv channels in China broadcast something made in ROK everyday. The result can be the drop in popularity of local productions among the Chinese.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 AM

40 posts, read 56,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capsuleneo View Post
I don't give a crap about South Korea's so-called media influence in Asia. Most people in the world don't give a crap about Hallyu. South Korea is not seen as an influental country. According to the BBC World Service poll, Japan is the country most widely viewed as having a positive influence in the world.

Japan can support their own country. Japan has 1121 billion dollar US Treasury bonds. Net external assets is 260 trillion yen(world’s best). Deposit and saving of citizens is 800 trillion yen(world’s best). Japan’s collective assets is 8553 trillion yen. Japan is a G8 member. Japan is the largest contributor to the IMF and Asia's financial crises over the last decade have been saved by Japan
Yea, Japan is the best country in the world
Rock belongs to Japan, the almighty X-japan *who cant sing live*
And Jpop owns the cuteness so no one elso who makes cute videos
are copycat of Japan.
Japan didnt harm other asian countries in WW1-WW2. They tried to help, they were savior- but how dare koreans hate the japan annex?
Japan DA BEST! *sarcasm*

You should just go back to nichan (:

Old 09-04-2014, 12:02 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Some of my thoughts as a Taiwanese:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantonese_mtporr View Post
South Korean popular culture has some fans in Japan. But I will say K-pop is currently more popular in China than Japan. The Japanse understand well the causes of tensions between their country and Korea & China. Taiwan is not as fussy as PRC and Korea over the islands dispute with Japan. Taiwanese are very into Japanese culture. Speak Japanese to youths in Taiwan, high chance they will reply back in good Japanese. The percentage is probably 5% only for the youths in HK and Singapore, who value English much over the Japanese language.
I agree with you except for the balded parts.This is an overstatement,a few of the youths here speak really excellent Japanese,but most don't.Many of us know some Japanese phrases because of the frequency of coming across Japanese on tv or on the internet,and Japanese is definitely the most popular foreign language after English here,but we still value English much over the Japanese language.English is mandatory in schools while Japanese has never been one since 1945.

As for the tensions between Japan and South Korea,it's kind of like how former Eastern block countries and Finland are usually more concerned about Russia's actions imo.Korea was part of the Chinese tribute system,but it was still a country of its own.They had emperor,empress,and on top of those,a strong sense of nationalism.Consequently the Korean people wouldn't agree with Japan's rule,then Japan was extremely brutal to Korean resistance,the bloody repression of March 1st Movement was just one of the millions of cases.Japan has always been considered by the Koreans to be the major threat to their country,so whenever Japan does any political decision such as lifting their military restrictions and modifying their constitution,South Korea would always get angry even though it's really obvious that the aims here are North Korea and China.

However,in Taiwan,we were part of China by all levels back in 1895,so there was little nationalism.There were some anti-Japan movements when we were ceded to the Japanese(Republic of Formosa and stuff) but those ended up to be complete failure.Taiwanese people didn't care about who's ruling them in general,we were(and still are) ignorant,short-visioned,and easily-manipulated.Japan was not nice to Taiwanese in those 50 years,of course they only cared about Japan,but compare that to what they did to the Koreans and what KMT did to Taiwanese from 1945 to the 80s,they were like angels most of the time.
When they were acting like Satan,revolts happened,but none of those occurred because of the sense of nationalism to my knowledge.
Ironically,as a poster previously pointed out the fact that in quite a few ways Taiwan feels more Japan than China,the Japanese ruling era ended up to be one of the main sources of Taiwanese nationalism now.50 years are quite a long time for an island with a short history of merely a few centuries,it's not something that could be easily wiped out.
As for the admiration of Japan in Taiwan nowadays,as I mentioned it elsewhere it's more pragmatic than sentimental.All KMT has been doing is bashing Japan whenever they get a chance,while most Taiwanese people just don't give a ****.The friendliness is more based on a shared interest(the threat from China) and shared value(more liberal than most Asian countries,even though still extremely conservative and outdated imo),and the fact that Japan is like an idealization of Taiwan's society from many Taiwanese people's pov.

Speaking of popular culture,generally I don't care about Kpop at all but indeed,it's all over the place in Taiwan since like 6 years ago,however it's an overstatement to say that Japanese pop culture has died imo.In terms of music,Korea is at its golden age right now while Japan has already passed that phase,but as far as the rest of the aspects of "pop culture" is concerned,animation,modern novels,or video games,Japan is still a superpower.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:35 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantonese_mtporr View Post
Of course Chinese in China do not hate Singaporeans, most know little about Singapore and HK actually. People in Mainland China do not know much about the world like the Singaporeans. Singaporeans are very global.
of course Singapore is global. Drive 3 hours in any direction they are in a different country. Every flight is international flight.

Plus, it is one of the world's financial centres, for decades. No Chinese city is there yet but it is changing fast. 20 years ago you hardly see any Chinese tourists in Paris or Rome, now they are all over the world.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:55 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
The friendliness is more based on a shared interest (the threat from China)
since when China threatened Japan? I know you like Japan, but to say Japan is the peaceful nice guy and China is the aggressive one is so disingenuous.

Even at its halcyon days, China never outright invaded Japan, not to mention march into its cities, murder hundreds of thousands of civilians and do all sorts of inhuman experiments on innocent people even the Nazis Germans wouldn't do. I just don't see how China is "threatening" Japan.

And Taiwan faces no threat from China whatsoever unless it intends to declare full independence. That's another topic for another day. But to say China is hostile toward Taiwan or intends to annex it is just pure fallacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Japan is still a superpower.
I am sorry, Japan is a major wealthy country but it is not superpower. Its population is declining, economy stagnating for ages. Plus what kind of superpower has military stationed on this land from another country? Can Japan develop its military power freely like US, China and Russia?

Japan is a great country. But it is no superpower.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:04 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,287,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
For example, do the Japanese think the Chinese are rude?

Are Koreans viewed as pushy?

Are there difference in societal attitudes within China -- for example, do northerners look down on Southerners or vice versa?
Japanese are concerned about China and a bit jealous of their current political power. Japan sees itself as the big brother of Asia vis-a-vis the West.

China can be worked into a lather rather quickly about Japan.

Most of SE Asia appreciates the role played by Japan in the post-WW2 era, but will never fully trust them again beyond a certain point.

SEA views the China as the giant it must deal with and China as the hub of the Asian wheel.

Singapore thinks each SE Asian country is inferior to them, but holds its tongue with China and Japan.

Japan does not think well of Korea and the feeling is mutual, but feels Koreans are part psycho. Some Koreans have these same POV, esp about the Korean education system! LOL.

Japan sees the rest of SE Asia as their historical charge and often invoke opinions that go back to 1940 and the Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere and before then to views that helped initiate the Meiji Restoration.

Chinese and Korean tourists are seen as the worst. Japanese as the best.

Coastal Chinese thing the Chinese hinterland is backwards.

Hong Kong Chinese and Singapore Chinese are embarassed by Mainland Chinese.

Taiwan: opinions on China depend if you are talking to someone around Taibei or someone South of Tainan.

Most young pre-professional students know next to nothing about their neighboring countries save for propaganda.

Educational propaganda is quite glaring. Ministries of Education often skew views of other Asian countries to "highlight" the superiority of their policies.

All of SE and NE Asia (excepting perhaps Myanmar), do not see India as part of their Asia.

Old 09-04-2014, 10:32 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
since when China threatened Japan? I know you like Japan, but to say Japan is the peaceful nice guy and China is the aggressive one is so disingenuous.

Even at its halcyon days, China never outright invaded Japan, not to mention march into its cities, murder hundreds of thousands of civilians and do all sorts of inhuman experiments on innocent people even the Nazis Germans wouldn't do. I just don't see how China is "threatening" Japan.

And Taiwan faces no threat from China whatsoever unless it intends to declare full independence. That's another topic for another day. But to say China is hostile toward Taiwan or intends to annex it is just pure fallacy.

I am sorry, Japan is a major wealthy country but it is not superpower. Its population is declining, economy stagnating for ages. Plus what kind of superpower has military stationed on this land from another country? Can Japan develop its military power freely like US, China and Russia?

Japan is a great country. But it is no superpower.
I meant nowadays,Japan and Taiwan(at least Taiwanese people) view China as a threat.Of course China views Japan as a threat as well,and Japan WAS most definitely a threat to China in the past.No,actually Japan was not just a threat to China,more like a rapist.

As for China's hostility toward Taiwan,there's no doubt about it,there are currently thousands of missiles aiming here in China,I don't think anyone would consider it to be "peaceful".

And I meant Japan is a superpower in terms of animation,video games etc,not military.Overall it's a great power,not superpower.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:09 AM

1,136 posts, read 525,982 times
Pop music from Taiwan never attracted widespread interest outside of Asia.
Agree k pop won't last forever outside of Asia.
Asians are still being discriminated in other continents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
K-Pop is just the flavour of the month, it's not gonna last forever. I think before J-Pop and pop music from Taiwan was in vogue, now it's Korea. Korean food, too, as well as Korean products like Samsung etc competing more with the Japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia