Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 09:59 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Couple whose plight was revealed after images showing road built around property went viral, agree compensation deal.

A Chinese house that became an internet sensation after being left in the middle of new highway because its elderly owners refused to move out has been demolished.

Chinese 'highway house' is demolished after owners agree to move | World news | guardian.co.uk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 10:02 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Nothing like this could ever happen in America. In the US, armed police will go in immediately and force people to leave if they refuse to get out of the way of a road construction. The US Supreme court has even ruled that rich corporations can force people to leave their homes in order to build their corporate empire.

It would be nice to live in a free country like China, where ordinary people have the right to pursue their lives without being steamrolled by the rich and powerful. In America, like in "The Godfather", when they make an offer, you don't have the option of refusing.

Old 12-03-2012, 04:25 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
I can't even think of a coherent response to someone who thinks that China is a free country.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:23 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
Speaking purely in terms of lifestyle, I find mainland China much freer than the US.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I can't even think of a coherent response to someone who thinks that China is a free country.
The guy in the article owned his own home, and when China tried to seize it and force him out, he had the freedom to say no, and won his case. No Swat Team surrounded his house. Cite me one single instance in the entire history of the USA where a person had the freedom to remain in his own home when there were eminent domain proceedings against him. And the US Supreme Court even ruled in the past decade that a private buyer can force you to sell to him, just because he can use your property to make more money than you can and pay more taxes.
(See Kelo v. New London, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelo_v._City_of_New_London

Please try harder to think of a coherent response. We're all looking forward to it.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-03-2012 at 06:08 PM..

Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Yeah, I think the government can force eminent domain for a lot of issues in the US. But besides that, I thought the story was interesting. But those poor old people. It was a little sad to see how the place used to look before it was turned into a highway. Maybe Confucianism made it really unseemly to try to bulldoze the house of two elderly people.

I bet they got tired of the noise and all the dangerous fumes from the cars. Plus, I was imagining the guys trying to totter to the front door fast enough to avoid being hit by traffic. It looks like he only got a teeny bit of money for his house, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia