Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2012, 09:08 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

I don't think any religion lasts long if it is forced upon the people...I met a man from Saudi Arabia in Colombo, Sri Lanka, recently, and we were talking for awhile. Let's just say, I think he has a lifestyle that isn't in strict accordance with Islam (sexuality, for instance, he likes both men and women, although I've heard clandestine homosexuality is common in the Muslim world among otherwise straight men). I think a lot of this is just kept secret, but I wonder if there are a lot of people in Saudi Arabia who secretly do not take Islam seriously, or are even atheist, secret Christians.etc or have most of the population been indoctrinated to such an extent they do not question?

Old 12-02-2012, 09:24 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
I have no idea.

But, a few years back when I lived in Seoul. I went to a bar with a female friend of mine. It was only us, and on a weekday, and a bit early as well, with no one else drinking in the bars, usually at that time.

Nontheless, went into a bar with her, and saw a hip-hop rapper looking guy with lots of gold and a hat on sideways, with hip-hop clothes. I thought he was a really young African-American at first, with a lot of money for his bling. Seemed out of place anyways.

Nontheless, I went to the bathroom, and this guy immediately went over to our table, and start buying my female friend hard liquor, and hitting on her. This was like 4pm on something like a Wednesday afternoon. It was just weird.

As I returned from the bathroom, and started talkiing to him, found out he was from Saudi Arabia. He wasn't African-American at all, as I hadn't really seen his actual face, just the clothing previously. Anyways, he just seemed....well...weird.

That is probably the only Saudi that I'm aware of having met. But, he struck me very strangely. Everything about him. The sleeziness, the attire, the drinking whiskey on a weekend afternoon, waiting for any girl to enter the bar (even an accompanied one, at such a sober hour), etc.

The Korean girl I was with, accepted his drinks, and than wanted to get out of there in the worst way. But since he was forcing liquor on her, she actually threw up just outside of the bar. As I mentioned, this occurred all within an hour, of like 4-5pm, on a weekday day. Just an odd encounter with a Saudi guy.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:05 PM

376 posts, read 652,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I don't think any religion lasts long if it is forced upon the people...I met a man from Saudi Arabia in Colombo, Sri Lanka, recently, and we were talking for awhile. Let's just say, I think he has a lifestyle that isn't in strict accordance with Islam (sexuality, for instance, he likes both men and women, although I've heard clandestine homosexuality is common in the Muslim world among otherwise straight men). I think a lot of this is just kept secret, but I wonder if there are a lot of people in Saudi Arabia who secretly do not take Islam seriously, or are even atheist, secret Christians.etc or have most of the population been indoctrinated to such an extent they do not question?
I'm managing a contract for a Saudi company and we worked in Seoul for 10 months as our Engineering contractor was a major Korean company. We had about 10 Saudi guys there and we moved to work in Saudi these last 11 months. So I have at least some pretty good information on this subject.

The Saudi guys do take their religion quite serious. They also will chase the girls and drink at times when they leave Saudi. So they're really like men everywhere in that we may have our religion but we have our human nature to deal with as well. Every weekend, thousands of Saudi men go over the causeway to Bahrain to drink and hit on the Asian and Russian girls there in Bahrain....it's a huge industry.

In Saudi itself, the religious fanatics run this country so they have to tow the line in Kingdom. I wouldn't anticipate any major changes to this being an Islamists paradise for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.