Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

How do people, especially European Russians, in Vladivostok, Khabarovsk.etc view China, Korea, Japan and Mongolia?

I mean do they sort of consider themselves being in that region, or more Asian than other Russians, and do they feel a sense of regional unity with those in Northern China, Korea and to a lesser extent even Japan?

I hear there's more exchange happening, some good some bad, mostly Chinese going up north but also some Russians going into China, like girls working in KTV's or Russian tourists. Sometimes the trade can be beneficial but it seems there are some who fear a Chinese invasion. Can anyone give a picture of the situation? It seems an interesting region, Vladivostok is so close to the Korean peninsula I wonder if it will become significantly influenced by Korea.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
I have read news articles about this. Chinese merchants and entrepreneurs are rapidly moving into eastern Siberia, and trading goods back and forth. The native Russian population has been declining for years, due to factors such as rampant alcoholism, drug abuse, and abortions.

Along parts of the Chinese - Siberian border, the Chinese side is intensely farmed, while the Siberian side right next to it, is unused, or else forested. Russians are seen as lackadaisical and apathetic.

Overall Chinese influence, including food and popular culture, is seen increasingly in parts of Siberia. Russia may eventually lose control of the region -- in the same way that the American pioneers moved into Texas and established a strong presence, enabling them after a few years to wrest Texas from the Spanish.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I have read news articles about this. Chinese merchants and entrepreneurs are rapidly moving into eastern Siberia, and trading goods back and forth. The native Russian population has been declining for years, due to factors such as rampant alcoholism, drug abuse, and abortions.

Along parts of the Chinese - Siberian border, the Chinese side is intensely farmed, while the Siberian side right next to it, is unused, or else forested. Russians are seen as lackadaisical and apathetic.

Overall Chinese influence, including food and popular culture, is seen increasingly in parts of Siberia. Russia may eventually lose control of the region -- in the same way that the American pioneers moved into Texas and established a strong presence, enabling them after a few years to wrest Texas from the Spanish.
By native Russian I assume you mean mostly European Russian. The European Russians haven't really been in the region that long.

Old 12-08-2012, 11:13 PM

360 posts, read 982,750 times
The Russians have sort of a love-hate relationship with China due to their shared ideology of Communism in the past and the potential threat posed by growing Chinese economic and military might.

I couldn't think of how they view Korea though (except that North Korea seems to be a real threat to them due to its nuclear rearmament policy).

But the Russians did not have proper diplomatic relations with Japan as they refused to sign the 1952 San Francisco Treaty. Also, occasionally disputes over the Kurile Islands would erupt between the Russians and Japanese.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Many Russians in Asia, look very favorably to both South Korea and Japan. Especially economically.

I don't think they look very favorably towards China though. I think there is a fear that way too many Chinese can just 'take over' that part of Russia, way too easily.

Old 12-13-2012, 01:23 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,710,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I hear there's more exchange happening, some good some bad, mostly Chinese going up north but also some Russians going into China, like girls working in KTV's or Russian tourists.
Not many people know this, but Russians are an officially recognized ethnic group in China. There were Russian settlers since the early Qing dynasty.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Not many people know this, but Russians are an officially recognized ethnic group in China. There were Russian settlers since the early Qing dynasty.
True. The city of Harbin used to be heavily populated by Russians and alot of its institutions used to be Russian-speaking.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:42 PM

It's a shame that the Russians were kicked out of China (and vice versa), or they fled, they would have added a bit of multiculturalism to China. I feel China's ethnic minorities are sort of tokenistic, many of these minorities were only given this status for political reasons and many are basically Han. Most of the most prominent minorities live in Yunnan, Sichuan, Xinjiang, Inner Mongolia, but Han settlers and culture are increasingly taking over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia