Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 08:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

I'm going to write a bit about my recent travels to old Ceylon. First entry is Colombo, where I spent a full day:

Colombo - Colombo, Sri Lanka Travel Blog

Let me know your impressions.etc and also comment on my blog. Feel free to ask me anything about my trip, Sri Lanka or Colombo, even if you have no plans to visit. To be honest not the most fascinating cities, and one of the duller parts of Lanka, but still worth at least a day to explore.

When I have time I will write blogs of the many other places I visited.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,173 times
I see you!

Nice writeup... Colombo is not my favourite city - I find it too chaotic and haphazardly laid out. But there some charming aspects to it though, and the train ride that took us along the seaside was awesome!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:48 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,937,370 times
Colombo was not my favorite city either, although I was charmed by Sri Lanka on the whole. I much preferred Kandy ... the home of the Temple Of The Tooth!

Old 12-23-2012, 01:10 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Colombo was not my favorite city either, although I was charmed by Sri Lanka on the whole. I much preferred Kandy ... the home of the Temple Of The Tooth!
Kandy was very pleasant. I love it too!

Old 12-23-2012, 01:14 AM

Yes Kandy is a nice place, pretty town, but aside from the Tooth Temple lacking in history IMO.

I'll try to write an entry for my trip to the 'Cultural Triangle' tomorrow. The Lion Rock fortress at Sigiriya was my favourite, it's an awesome place!

Old 12-23-2012, 07:41 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'm going to write a bit about my recent travels to old Ceylon. First entry is Colombo, where I spent a full day:

Let me know your impressions.etc and also comment on my blog. Feel free to ask me anything about my trip, Sri Lanka or Colombo, even if you have no plans to visit. To be honest not the most fascinating cities, and one of the duller parts of Lanka, but still worth at least a day to explore.

Awesome blog mate! I bookmarked it. I'm very jelaous..always wanted to go to SR.
And yes you got in on a "tour scam"... I can't think of anyone that hasn't either been approached for a tour or been suckered in for a tour in SE Asia. I remember I was at the Royal Palace in Bangkok and this perspon walks up to me and says its closed and behind him you could see people, including tourists, lined up to enter. HA.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Awesome blog mate! I bookmarked it. I'm very jelaous..always wanted to go to SR.
And yes you got in on a "tour scam"... I can't think of anyone that hasn't either been approached for a tour or been suckered in for a tour in SE Asia. I remember I was at the Royal Palace in Bangkok and this perspon walks up to me and says its closed and behind him you could see people, including tourists, lined up to enter. HA.
Thanks mate, expect more entries and photos.

Haha, in Bangkok a tuk tuk driver took me to a 'government approved' tour agency. I said no thanks, but he insisted that he needed some sort of coupon or something. Anyway I go in, the guy talks to me about a tour package, sounds exxy. I say, can I use your internet to check my bank account, to see if I have enough? While I'm doing that I sneakily type in the name of the tour company and find it's been scamming people, right down to the special tea they offer you (which I did not take). When I return, I tell him I will think about it and maybe get back to him. He looks visibly annoyed, lol.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 PM

Part 1 of the Cultural Triangle, Anuradhapura is up!

The Cultural Triangle: Anuradhapura - Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka Travel Blog

Old 12-23-2012, 09:30 PM

520 posts, read 596,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Enjoyed the first quick read - I'll bookmark it for later. Nice pictures too.

On a side note, I got my hand slapped by the moderators for trying to let people know about my travel blog; guess the policy must have changed.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
Enjoyed the first quick read - I'll bookmark it for later. Nice pictures too.

On a side note, I got my hand slapped by the moderators for trying to let people know about my travel blog; guess the policy must have changed.
Unless you were advertising I don't see anything wrong with it. As long as it's in the appropriate sub-forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia