Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 07:48 PM

55 posts, read 130,431 times

Advertisements

I like Jollibee. The two piece special at Jollibee is my fav!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 06:19 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,012,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
as for me...I like kare-kare....especially when its cooked using coconut milk
Coconut milk? I thought you made it from a mix...thats how I did it (once). LOL.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM

530 posts, read 820,596 times
Filipino food can seem unappetizing especially when compared to some of the more popular SE Asian cuisines. Compared to other SEA cuisines it's very bland, well it's pretty bland period, but it's usually served w/mixture of soy sauce, vinegar and chili for you to add to your test. Here in the US I think one reason it hasn't caught on is because Filipino restaurants cater to Filipinos and don't seem to make any effort to appeal to other people.
A couple of years ago in Dumaugete City at a restaurant on the boulevard. I forgot the name of the restaurant, the chef there showed that Filipino food can be delicious and appeal to anybody in the right hands. If there were chefs in the US (are anywhere else I suppose) interested in drawing attention to Filipino food and attracting non-Filipinos they could build a good market for it.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:32 PM

1,946 posts, read 2,563,054 times
It is important to deliver to the world the Philippine culture & Tagalog.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:24 AM

37,126 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
I think the only Filipino food that has Indian Influence is Chicken Curry
but our curry is different to the Indian Chicken Curry though.

http://pinoyrecipe.pinoyrecipenet.ne...ino-recipe.jpg

- It's not too colorful and not too much spicy.

Camaron Rebosado (similar to Japanese Tempura)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3556/...64d2fa1e0e.jpg

Rellenong Bangus (Stuffed Milkfish)
Thanks for the post! What is the milkfish stuffed with?

Some of the dishes posted so far seem kind of promising though I think I might have experienced their close relatives earlier from other southeast asian cuisines. I'll probably head out somewhere in Queens looking for this (large Filipino population there) sometime soon. It's been a good long while since I've had some sinigang.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:17 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Some of the dishes posted so far seem kind of promising though I think I might have experienced their close relatives earlier from other southeast asian cuisines. I'll probably head out somewhere in Queens looking for this (large Filipino population there) sometime soon. It's been a good long while since I've had some sinigang.
The Rellenong Bangus (Stuffed Milkfish) is actually not easy to cook lol.

- Inside it has onion, carrots, potato, green peas, raisins, egg, and flour to coat the fish

you have to remove all the fish bones and remove the fish meat carefully without destroying the fish skin because you'll put those stuffed inside. then fry it

We also do this to Rellenong Pusit (Stuffed Squid) & Rellenong Manok (Stuffed Chicken)

Old 01-29-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

69th and Fisk, Woodside, number 7 train

Old 01-29-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
Filipino food can seem unappetizing especially when compared to some of the more popular SE Asian cuisines. Compared to other SEA cuisines it's very bland, well it's pretty bland period, but it's usually served w/mixture of soy sauce, vinegar and chili for you to add to your test. Here in the US I think one reason it hasn't caught on is because Filipino restaurants cater to Filipinos and don't seem to make any effort to appeal to other people.
A couple of years ago in Dumaugete City at a restaurant on the boulevard. I forgot the name of the restaurant, the chef there showed that Filipino food can be delicious and appeal to anybody in the right hands. If there were chefs in the US (are anywhere else I suppose) interested in drawing attention to Filipino food and attracting non-Filipinos they could build a good market for it.
I've been to every SE Asian country, except Myanmar. I did not find food look much different. The Thai food in the states differs from the real Thai food I had in Bangkok

Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,956,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's in the wrong continent. If Filipino food was being compared to Latin American food, it might have a chance, maybe.

But Asia has some of the tastiest cuisines in the world. Filipino food just doesn't compare with its neighbors at all.
I haven't had Filipino food so I can't comment, but I do agree that Asia is the "World Cup" of food.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
What I've had was awesome.

The main problem I run into is that I'm a strict vegetarian, bordering on vegan. I'm sure that there is *plenty* of Filipino food that doesn't use meat, but meat-centric dishes are the centerpiece of any Filipino restaurant I've been to.

Interestingly, the first dish I learned to cook from someone outside my family was lumpia, from a teacher in third grade - she was making them for the class and I proudly told her I knew how to cook and wanted to help. She showed me how to fill, roll, and deep-fry them (she brought one of those little coutertop deep fryers in). The filling was beef, carrots, and peas with some sort of sauce mixed in... don't know for the life of me what it was. I've made a few different vegetarian lumpia recipes over the years since I quit eating meat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia