U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2013, 01:13 AM

1,953 posts, read 2,345,710 times

Advertisements

【Men】Marriage Patterns for Six Largest
Asian American Ethnic Groups (2010)

Asian Indians
Asian Indian 92.5
Other Asian 1.5
White 4.3
Black 0.3
Hispanic/Latino 0.8
Multiracial & All Others 0.6

Chinese
Chinese 88.8
Other Asian 4.8
White 5.2
Black 0.1
Hispanic/Latino 0.7
Multiracial & All Others 0.5

Filipinos
Filipino 85.1
Other Asian 2.6
White 7.9
Black 0.2
Hispanic/Latino 2.8
Multiracial & All Others 1.4

Japanese
Japanese 62.8
Other Asian 11.5
White 18.8
Blacks 0.2
Hispanic/Latino 3.3
Multiracial & All Others 3.5
Population Size (x1000) 151.1

Koreans
Korean 90.4
Other Asian 2.9
White 5.3
Black 0.2
Hispanic/Latino 0.9
Multiracial & All Others 0.4

Vietnamese
Vietnamese 92.6
Other Asian 3.4
White 2.8
Black 0.0
Hispanic/Latino 0.5
Multiracial & All Others 0.6
Rate this post positively

Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 AM

32 posts, read 97,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I know people are people are some are more ignorant than others, but how do you think Westerners are viewed overall in Asia by country?

In Thailand I think a lot of people are on one hand grateful that the 'farangs' help the economy, but i'm sure there is resentment or even derision about how they come just to sex it up. I think because a lot of the sex tourists are fat middle aged men there seems less of a worship of white men there. I'm sure Thai men, like a lot of Asian men, think European women are the bees knees though.

Japan and Korea are homogeneous societies and 'gaijin' are treated either as a novelty or in some cases with suspicion or even xenophobia. I've heard some are a bit wary of blacks, for instance.

Singapore and Malaysians are more exposed to Western culture, and some of them aspire to be as Western as possible and look up to Europeans, but since they're as well off as the West, and are indeed a semi-Western culture IMO, there's less of a fascination.

The Chinese - hard to say, there are some young Chinese people who really look up to the West, and they actually seem to really admire a lot of American culture. Same goes for Vietnam despite the War.

India seems to look more to Britain than the US, and Indian men almost treat white women as goddesses. India seems the least touched by Western culture in some ways though, maintaining a traditional society. They get far less tourists than SE Asia, but many of these tourists are more interested in the culture.

The Middle East - i'm not sure, but it might depend on your nationality...I think there are a lot of people in countries like Iran and Jordan who do not 'hate Americans', and just want to get along. We're all humans after all.

No mention of the Phillipines?
I believe them to be the most western Asian country.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 AM

2,384 posts, read 6,580,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd!83 View Post
No mention of the Phillipines?
I believe them to be the most western Asian country.
It is ... And the friendliest

Old 04-09-2013, 03:16 AM

9,335 posts, read 8,633,433 times
In East Asia, people are all very nationalist. No matter it is Chinese, Koreans or Japanese, they are all proud of their nation and demand respect from others too.

However, Filipinos seem to be too "soft" to say the least. They often brag about how similar they are to Europeans. (In fact, Spanish and Portuguese are somehow discriminated by northern Europeans too.)
Chinese, Korean and Japanese people do not really bother to please the westerners in many cases.

Old 04-09-2013, 03:54 AM

2,384 posts, read 6,580,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In East Asia, people are all very nationalist. No matter it is Chinese, Koreans or Japanese, they are all proud of their nation and demand respect from others too.

However, Filipinos seem to be too "soft" to say the least. They often brag about how similar they are to Europeans. (In fact, Spanish and Portuguese are somehow discriminated by northern Europeans too.)
Chinese, Korean and Japanese people do not really bother to please the westerners in many cases.
Discriminated ? Well, they are just probably jealous because these 2 were the biggest and ruled the whole world before and they have a richer and more interesting culture than the Northern Europeans and their personalities are more warm. They know more how to live their lives unlike the other ones in Europe who spends most of their time at home reading and playing board games.

Funny, they are discriminated when there are so many from other parts of Europe migrating to Spain and Portugal because of their weather, especially the English they have been flocking Spain for many years now.

We are just more adjusted to the Western people and it is normal as Filipinos were with the Spanish people for 4 centuries and Americans for 40 years.

If we brag about similarities with the West , it's normal ( 4 centuries and 40 years ) . That at least makes us different than the other Asians.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 04-09-2013 at 04:48 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 AM

1,761 posts, read 7,611,027 times
Quote:

Speaking of Nationalism. I kept on bragging our Filipino culture here. My national identity.
Food, People, Clothes, Language, Music, Religion, Tradition, etc. even loving and posting my own people who are Filipino Nationals. It's just some of the western find some similarities when it comes to our culture. Asians can easily adjust too, because we were also exposed from other Asian culture. but still far from what you see in other Asia specially in East Asia, Europe, or United States etc. because Philippines is like when East meets West type of place.

Last edited by pinai; 04-09-2013 at 05:55 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 05:27 AM

24,682 posts, read 51,961,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Speaking of Nationalism. I kept on bragging our Filipino culture here. My national identity.
Food, Clothes, Language, Music, Religion, Tradition, etc. even loving and posting my own people who are Filipino Nationals.
There's no lack of that here, lol. Lot of Filipinos for some reason.

Old 04-09-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There's no lack of that here, lol. Lot of Filipinos for some reason.
lol.. actually it's too much already haha.. for posting a lot.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:10 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,679,063 times
Quote:

while Im sure you will find filipinos who love being rugs to step on for westerners "ehem some members here"
though you will also find some filipinos with pride who would not bother to please westerners

Old 04-09-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
while Im sure you will find filipinos who love being rugs to step on for westerners "ehem some members here"
though you will also find some filipinos with pride who would not bother to please westerners
lol Ejay, do you understand what is nationalism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia