Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 07:22 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,995,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
lol Ejay, do you understand what is nationalism?
yes nationalism would be the latter
something many filipinos clearly lack

Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,111,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
yes nationalism would be the latter
something many filipinos clearly lack
and Filipino is Nationality, A Nationalist is someone who cares and love his/her own country and people, the National or Citizens. National flags, anthems and other symbols of national identity are commonly considered highly important symbols of the national community.

Here are some of the National Symbols
http://www.malapascua.de/PhilippineM...mbols_1024.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...he_Philippines

Last edited by pinai; 04-09-2013 at 08:42 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 08:21 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In East Asia, people are all very nationalist. No matter it is Chinese, Koreans or Japanese, they are all proud of their nation and demand respect from others too.

However, Filipinos seem to be too "soft" to say the least. They often brag about how similar they are to Europeans. (In fact, Spanish and Portuguese are somehow discriminated by northern Europeans too.)
Chinese, Korean and Japanese people do not really bother to please the westerners in many cases.
Maybe " soft " is not the right term. I think we are just " Amiable and Cultured " .

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
In East Asia, people are all very nationalist. No matter it is Chinese, Koreans or Japanese, they are all proud of their nation and demand respect from others too.

However, Filipinos seem to be too "soft" to say the least. They often brag about how similar they are to Europeans. (In fact, Spanish and Portuguese are somehow discriminated by northern Europeans too.)
Chinese, Korean and Japanese people do not really bother to please the westerners in many cases.
I have never heard about Spanish and Portuguese being discriminated in Europe. Why ? And why only the former 2 most powerful countries ?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:24 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I have never heard about Spanish and Portuguese being discriminated in Europe. Why ? And why only the former 2 most powerful countries ?
They aren't.

Any current ill will is a result of those boring and staid Northern European nations propping up those festive and exciting Southern European nations because their economies can't support their entitlements, but even that said, people in Sweden or Germany or the UK hardly have negative views of the people in Spain, Portugal, Italy, Greece, etc.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,343 times
If you are an American and a member of an ethnic and/or racial minority group in your home country when traveling to Asia you are still looked down upon as contrite, someone to fear and often the brunt of cruel stares. Conversely, if you are an American and a member of an ethnic and/or racial minority group, your ability to live and work in a country different than your own also sends a very strong message that you can afford to live and travel wherever one chooses to do. So, the latter truth overshadows the small mindedness that one may encounter. In closing, as an African-American who has been living and working in China for two years, the latter truth has given me the fortitude and resolve to hold my head high knowing that I am among the elite and so whatever form of racism or discrimination that I may encounter, I know that what brought to me China was my skills, talents and abilities and not the color of skin. So, "He who laughs last, last best." And, as such, I can command a premium salary . So, the joke is on others and not on me.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,485,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Japan - they treat foreigners very respectfully.

Vietnam - like you're a walking ATM machine.

Korea - kind, helpful, honest, give you the umbrella if it's raining.

Malaysia - very kind. Treat you like anybody else.

Thailand - income.
Much worse in Cambodia. The things I've seen there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia