Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 07:43 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Bitter much.
Lol I don't even care. You love HK, fine, I just don't like it.

So are we done here? I hope so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:12 AM

64 posts, read 74,856 times
Quote:
Hong Kongers move to Taipei in the same way people move out of Manhattan to Buffalo. To "slow down".
Except Manhattan isn't being colonized. Current immigration to Taiwan is to a large degree the spiritual successor of that happened before '97, which motivation is more than obvious.

Quote:
HK has far more expats than Taipei and when I was there, all the expats loved it.
Because expats don't have to buy house, or rest with $12k HKD to make a living, or live with smuggler with crowded the neighbourhood and buy most daily necessities, or involve in politics, or pay tax to government who spend rather recklessly, or to deal with low upward mobility, or with social resources gradually taken by mainlanders.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:21 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Lol I don't even care. You love HK, fine, I just don't like it.

So are we done here? I hope so.
If you don't care, why do you keep replying?

I've been to both and go to HK on business a lot. I only responded because you sounded very bitter.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:24 AM

647 posts, read 1,216,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wowu5 View Post
Because expats don't have to buy house, or rest with $12k HKD to make a living, or live with smuggler with crowded the neighbourhood and buy most daily necessities, or involve in politics, or pay tax to government who spend rather recklessly, or to deal with low upward mobility, or with social resources gradually taken by mainlanders.
Migrating to Taiwan is just delaying the inevitable. You know Taiwan doesnt even dare to inform the PRC that it's indepdendent? It's just a matter of time. Might as well come to the US.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:48 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
If you don't care, why do you keep replying?

I've been to both and go to HK on business a lot. I only responded because you sounded very bitter.
You obviously just can't accept the fact that somebody doesn't like Hong Kong as much as you do and keep shoving things which are simply untrue down people's throat, then claim how 'bitter' they are because they disagree with you. How pathetic.

Quote:
Migrating to Taiwan is just delaying the inevitable. You know Taiwan doesnt even dare to inform the PRC that it's indepdendent? It's just a matter of time. Might as well come to the US.
Why do we have to inform the PRC that we're independent? Everybody knows that Taiwan is independent in reality, even the PRC itself.
As for the 'inevitable', you think those HK immigrants didn't take that into account when they decided to leave their home? They know better than you, apparently.

Pennyone 2.0 tbh.

Old 04-06-2015, 06:04 PM

440 posts, read 661,822 times
The country area of Hong Kong are vastly different from the urban areas.
Some residents of Hong Kong prefer living in the built-up areas, some prefer more country areas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
Crowds, Tiny apartments, skyscrapers, steep hills, neon lights...

Old 04-06-2015, 06:10 PM

Even college fees in Taiwan is way cheaper than Hong Kong for a HK student..
However, a Taiwanese education is not preferred by employers in HK because most courses are not taught in English, in contrast to colleges in HK and the Anglosphere.

Quality of life in different places is different for different persons depending on a number of actors. For purchasing power, HK people are not too bad, a large number can afford holidaying in other places such as SE Asia, Mainland China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan. Many can afford studying overseas including England and the US , considered expensive among Asians. HK people just are not very into expensive brands nowadays unlike the Mainland Chinese who came to HK to shop for the expensive brands.

Last edited by lokeung); 04-06-2015 at 06:19 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 06:25 PM

It is more or less the same in NYC, London, Tokyo, Singapore, Shanghai and even Shenzhen.

If you cannot work under stress in the global cities, you lose. Many job recruitment ads have the words "able to under stress" as a requirement.

Usually it is the people originating from smaller cities and towns or rural areas who complain the most about stress in big cities. Big cities people are well used to stress, they talk less about them and continue working.

Almost all cities in the Southern Hemisphere are less stressful than those in the Northern Hemisphere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag77845 View Post
Living and working in HK is very stressful, which hurts the quality of life.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
The country area of Hong Kong are vastly different from the urban areas.
Some residents of Hong Kong prefer living in the built-up areas, some prefer more country areas.
I think there's no real 'rural area' for Hong Kong. It's either the urban center at Northern Hong Kong Island and Kowloon, or the series of new towns in the New Territories and outlaying islands. Both of which would be considered as 'urban' without doubt.

Real country resident is very rare beside of old traditional villages (most existed before the colonial era) or rich people's safe house above various mountains. It's unfeasible for normal citizen without car to live anyway far away from the primary transport network.

Old 04-06-2015, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Hong Kongers move to Taipei in the same way people move out of Manhattan to Buffalo. To "slow down".
A point to add, there's no such thing as 'metropolis retreat' in the case of Hong Kong because we're a bloody city state. There's not a 'countryside Hong Kong' that we could relocate from 'city Hong Kong'. It's more like if New Yorkers don't like Manhattan then the only option is to move to Morocco or Nigeria, with all those difference in culture and way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia