Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I prefer...
Jakarta 50 43.48%
Manila 65 56.52%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 09:24 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,505 times

Advertisements

Coach, there is no point to showcase those ground pictures of Metro Manila. Certainly Jakarta have them all as well. Let's view the comparison from above. Statistic comparison is more appropriate.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:26 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,263 times
Does Manilla have better traffic conditions? I couldn't stand Jakarta for that very reason, well that and the punishing heat and I was born there!

Old 07-09-2014, 10:15 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Coach, there is no point to showcase those ground pictures of Metro Manila. Certainly Jakarta have them all as well. Let's view the comparison from above. Statistic comparison is more appropriate.
I've posted the statistic figure before about respective countries, but it was long buried under all the pic lol. Jakarta is ahead in GDP and global status wise as well infrastructure.

Although Manila do have improvement in its global competitiveness as a financial center according to this index: Global Financial Centres Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also this Legatum Prosperity Index Phil at 66th, Indo at 69th after jumping 19 place; http://www.prosperity.com/#!/?aspxer.../theindex.aspx

There is also this competitiveness index, Indo 38th and phil 59th: http://www3.weforum.org/docs/WEF_Glo...rt_2013-14.pdf

Asian Green city index: http://www.thecrystal.org/assets/dow...City-Index.pdf

Global Green city performance, Jakarta perform average while Manila below average: http://www.macaomiecf.com/MIECF2013/...an%20Denig.pdf

Global Peace Index: Indo 54th, Phil 134th
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...JvA/edit#gid=0

GINI index (wealth gap): Indo:36.8, while Phil: 44.6 showing wider gap in income (partially due to dynastic ruling families)
List of countries by income equality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Failed state index: Indo 82th, Phil 53th
List of countries by Fragile States Index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
Does Manilla have better traffic conditions? I couldn't stand Jakarta for that very reason, well that and the punishing heat and I was born there!
Yes the traffic is worse in Jakarta, lol, everyday the city receives extra 4 million population from the satelite cities.

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-09-2014 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-09-2014, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Both cities lagged the needed infrastructure. Good thing, both cities are now venturing into massive infrastructure projects which made the traffic condition even worst. Jakarta with their mass transit and Manila with several roads, railways and airports.

Some infrastructures in Manila:
1. LRT Cavite Extension (finally, mass transit will now reach the outskirt)
2. NAIA Expressway (easy access to NAIA)
3. CALA Expressway (interconnects biggest eco zones in Southern NCR)
4. Skyway Stage 3 (skyway will be extended up to Northern Manila so people travelling from North to South Luzon will virtually skip Manila)
5. NLEX-SLEX link (easy access to Manila port)

Other Proposals:
1. Laguna Lake Expressway (serves as flood control *** expressway)
2. Bulacan to Dasmarinas Subway
3. LRT Extension from Bacoor to Dasmarinas (further extension down South)
4. Manila coastal highway
5. Sangley Point airport (to replace NAIA)

Old 07-10-2014, 12:09 AM

Why the hell cum word is censored?

cum 1 (k m, k m) prep. Together with; plus. Often used in combination: our attic-cum-studio

Old 07-10-2014, 12:43 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
Hmm apart from mass transit here are the following project in Jakarta that currently is undergoing:
1) MRT (the mass transit mentioned)
2) New Priok Port
3) Tanjung Priok access tollroad (16.67km)
4) Terminal 3 airport ultimate
5) Railink airport-city
6) Lebak Lulus Stadium
7) 2nd outer ringroad project (110,4 Km)
8) Railway double tracking (finished)
9) flood canal dikes
10) non toll Elevated roads (finished)

Others
1) National capital integrated coastal development (the giant sea dam)

2) Old Town revitalization

3) Multi Purpose deep tunnel (siimilar to smart tunnel in KL, but nothing much has happened yet)

source: here

Last edited by Goshio22; 07-10-2014 at 01:05 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 07:04 AM

282 posts, read 708,013 times
Quote:
Okay I get you there kapatid. Apologize as well. But somebody must set the scope or parameters of comparison as the title says "Versus", and this is not as simple as apple and orange, it involves my /your homeland... otherwise this thread is useless, this is not a walk in the park task for every pinoys here.

just my two cents.

Old 07-18-2014, 05:23 AM

732 posts, read 779,791 times
Quote:
Well at least Manila has 3 operating LRT/MRT to date with one railway system. Jakarta has BRT but still is on the verge of completing its first MRT. But I guess both have traffic problems.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 11,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62914 View Post
According to the article cited, Jakarta, Indonesia has the most number of malls in the world at over 170 malls.

Based on this list: List of shopping malls in Metro Manila - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Metro Manila has around 200 malls excluding those under construction. hmmmm

Note: Jakarta has a bigger population and land area than what Metro Manila has. What if I consider the Malls located within the so called Mega Manila? The number of malls will surely exceed the 250 plus mark. Plus the fact that malls in the Philippines are usually bigger.
^^
those jakarta malls are only department store-sized ones in manila.. though luxury is the game in jakarta, manila is more of the sprawling type..you'll go crazy just wandering around..the one stop places for everyone..and why are PH malls so sprawling?malls are an escape and respite from the humid and hot tropical environment outside..and also the rise of the middle class..

yes, jakarta has a bigger population and land area than metro manila, but you can't go wrong with malls sprouting around each corner in metro manila and mega manila..

but architecture wise, i love jakarta's..

Old 07-19-2014, 07:57 AM

5 posts, read 11,133 times
Quote:
true..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia