Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Indonesia 55 47.41%
Philippines 61 52.59%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:41 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,790,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Well with the population of Chinese, they are really every where, but Filipinos are next to them in the US.
I think there are really many foreigners who do not like the taste of Jollibee's burger. My husband and daughter do not like it either, my sister's Iranian boyfriend doesn't like it too.
I think some Filipinos also look kinda Chinese, some I've met too, at least S.Chinese, but obviously a lot have that Filipino look. Here sometimes it's hard to tell Filipinos from Indonesians or Malaysians unless you hear them speak.

Yes, the burger mayo was very salty, and the beef patty was not very nice. The boba tea was okay I guess.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:53 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I think some Filipinos also look kinda Chinese, some I've met too, at least S.Chinese, but obviously a lot have that Filipino look. Here sometimes it's hard to tell Filipinos from Indonesians or Malaysians unless you hear them speak.

Yes, the burger mayo was very salty, and the beef patty was not very nice. The boba tea was okay I guess.
Yes there are some that have small eyes but usually because of having Chinese ancestry. Majority look more similar to Malaysians and Indonesians although sometimes, the Indonesians have more distinct features.

My husband doesn't like the mayo either but not because it's salty but he just thinks it tastes weird.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Yes there are some that have small eyes but usually because of having Chinese ancestry. Majority look more similar to Malaysians and Indonesians although sometimes, the Indonesians have more distinct features.

My husband doesn't like the mayo either but not because it's salty but he just thinks it tastes weird.
We get a lot of Malaysians and Indonesians, a lot of them are of Chinese ancestry, in the case of the Indonesians there are more with more mixed features. Apparently there are quite a few Filipinos in Australia but I don't know why I don't see to see them as much. I think the lack of Filipino restaurants might be a reason, I've only had Filipino food a couple of times in my life, while there are more Malaysian, Indonesian restaurants.

Filipino maids tend to be shorter, darker, more Austronesian looking than the wealthier ones, who have paler skin, are taller. In fact many are not even 5 feet.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
We get a lot of Malaysians and Indonesians, a lot of them are of Chinese ancestry, in the case of the Indonesians there are more with more mixed features. Apparently there are quite a few Filipinos in Australia but I don't know why I don't see to see them as much. I think the lack of Filipino restaurants might be a reason, I've only had Filipino food a couple of times in my life, while there are more Malaysian, Indonesian restaurants.

Filipino maids tend to be shorter, darker, more Austronesian looking than the wealthier ones, who have paler skin, are taller. In fact many are not even 5 feet.

Well, filipinos still prefer more to go to the States and recently Canada than Australia though it is much nearer. It is still not as popular as the US.

Yes I agree Filipinas working as maids are usually very short. When I was in Portugal some years ago, a Portuguese boss of a Filipino friend of mine was surprised to know I was a Filipina and said " She's a Filipina too ? But she's not short and straight and she's very fair " ? I am not tall, I am only 5'4 feet but he was used to seeing Filipinas who are mostly 4 ' 9 - 5 feet tall.
I don't know why they are mostly very short, maybe they stopped drinking milk at an early age.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Well, filipinos still prefer more to go to the States and recently Canada than Australia though it is much nearer. It is still not as popular as the US.

Yes I agree Filipinas working as maids are usually very short. When I was in Portugal some years ago, a Portuguese boss of a Filipino friend of mine was surprised to know I was a Filipina and said " She's a Filipina too ? But she's not short and straight and she's very fair " ? I am not tall, I am only 5'4 feet but he was used to seeing Filipinas who are mostly 4 ' 9 - 5 feet tall.
I don't know why they are mostly very short, maybe they stopped drinking milk at an early age.
Actually as a percentage Filipinos are slightly better represented in Australia than the States.

Overseas Filipino - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3.1 million/340 million = 0.9%

340,000/23 million = 1.47%

As a comparison, there are about 1 million Chinese Australian compared to 3.7 million Chinese Americans.

I've met quite a few Filipinos, though, there's quite a few at the church we go to here (I'm back in Perth for awhile). I'd say the average height for a Filipino male here is more like 5'5" to 5'6", and they're the wealthier ones (who can afford to come here, I mean still poor by Australian standards, in general, although there are some plain wealthy ones), for women maybe 5'1" or 5'2". One of the Filipino maids who works for my dad's friend is literally probably only 4'8", she's like the size of a child. Maybe it is just malnutrition. I heard about restaurants in the slums of Manila where they get left-over food that is not eaten and re-cook it or re-use it or something .

You're of mostly Austronesian ancestry, right? They're probably the shortest Asians, a long with some Austroasiatic speakers like Vietnamese, particularly Southern Vietnamese. Vietnamese Australians are a bit taller but still on the short side. It's common to see Chinese and Koreans over 6 feet here nowadays, it's ironic because they're often Chinese from China, from other provinces, the young generation is also a lot taller than the older one.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:02 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,112,511 times
Quote:

In our family we have mix height. Grandpa is 5'10" then grandma is short 5'0" so my uncles and aunties are mix in height some are taller like 5'10 or 5'7" and some are 5'0 or 5'2". There are also below 5'0 from my mom side and some of my uncle and auntie 5'4" up to 5'7", I am in Australia right now I see some Caucasian who are shorter too do you think they are Also malnourished?

Old 01-28-2014, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
In our family we have mix height. Grandpa is 5'10" then grandma is short 5'0" so my uncles and aunties are mix in height some are taller like 5'10 or 5'7" and some are 5'0 or 5'2". There are also below 5'0 from my mom side and some of my uncle and auntie 5'4" up to 5'7", I am in Australia right now I see some Caucasian who are shorter too do you think they are Also malnourished?
Pinai you are on holiday or you moved there ?

Old 01-28-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
My mum's dad was 5'11" or so, tall for that era in Singapore, and my aunties range from my mum at 5'3" to one auntie who is 5'7-5'8". My uncles are pretty tall, the tallest 6 feet, while one cousin is 6'3".

Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,159 times
No they dont, the half european lady there is Rianty Cartwright, half brits. Our media used to not have so many half caucassian, until recently, the community booms seriously in the late 70s. Rich Indonesians dont necesarily have ropean feature, but i notice quiet some arabs mixture in the rich community but not alot.

The Dutch mixture in indonesia is heavily harrased during independence war, half fled Indonesia and the other stays.

The chinese always happened to be the richest, some are poor too, but with recent economic explosion the native is getting very rich as well.

Old 01-28-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshio22 View Post
No they dont, the half european lady there is Rianty Cartwright, half brits. Our media used to not have so many half caucassian, until recently, the community booms seriously in the late 70s. Rich Indonesians dont necesarily have ropean feature, but i notice quiet some arabs mixture in the rich community but not alot.

The Dutch mixture in indonesia is heavily harrased during independence war, half fled Indonesia and the other stays.

The chinese always happened to be the richest, some are poor too, but with recent economic explosion the native is getting very rich as well.
Also Chinese. I think Sukarno was part Chinese, as was Marcos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia