Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 08:01 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I think there are many Chinese who would love to move to Mexico too.
There are Canadians who moved to Mexico, so what? People move.

In reality, I have never encountered a Chinese who wants to move to Mexico. I am not sure how many Chinese would want to move to borderline first world countries such as Spain or Italy. On the other hand, I personally know 6 friends who moved back to China after securing 6 figure income jobs in various parts of the US. get real, I know living standard in the US is still far better than that in China, but the balance is shifting and the US in relative terms is becoming less attractive.

Do you know how many Chinese after obtaining Canadians citizenship actually moved back to China for better opportunities?

You talk as if every Chinese if given the chance would move to a western country in a heartbeat. This is simply not true because life is more complicated than that. Some want to, more have no such desire. Just as we speak, a friend of mine who teaches in upstate NY making $90k a year is moving back to China next month, ticket already booked.

Yes, according to "surveys", so many middle class and rich Chinese want to immigrate - guess what? even if 100% of them are able to, I bet the majority will move back. 1) grass is always greener on the other side 2) there are many practical reasons that will make their life not as pleasant as they think it will turn out.

I moved to Canada 8 years ago, and when asked whether it would recommended it someone else, my answer is always that depends on what's important to you and what you are willing to give up. It is really not a black and white thing. So please be rational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Is it polluted beyond the very large cities?
Yes, largely so, as long as those cities have heavy industry nearby. It is really not a matter of large vs small cities because most of the pollution isn't from personal cars.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:23 AM

440 posts, read 661,933 times
Chinese move to both developed and developing countries. Some Chinese have moved to Africa to do business.

Chinese moved back to China, for the rising economic opportunites, homesickness, do not like western food and cultures, or to avoid racial discrimination.

For local people born in the good developed countries, they are lucky and tend not to think living in China is better than their home countries. They have wealth equality, good governments, little pollution, no homesickness, do not dislike their own cuisines and cultures and face no racial discrimination for being the majority in their own country. Immigrants however, may like something and also dislike something when they moved to a new country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
There are Canadians who moved to Mexico, so what? People move.

In reality, I have never encountered a Chinese who wants to move to Mexico. I am not sure how many Chinese would want to move to borderline first world countries such as Spain or Italy. On the other hand, I personally know 6 friends who moved back to China after securing 6 figure income jobs in various parts of the US. get real, I know living standard in the US is still far better than that in China, but the balance is shifting and the US in relative terms is becoming less attractive.

Do you know how many Chinese after obtaining Canadians citizenship actually moved back to China for better opportunities?

You talk as if every Chinese if given the chance would move to a western country in a heartbeat. This is simply not true because life is more complicated than that. Some want to, more have no such desire. Just as we speak, a friend of mine who teaches in upstate NY making $90k a year is moving back to China next month, ticket already booked.

Yes, according to "surveys", so many middle class and rich Chinese want to immigrate - guess what? even if 100% of them are able to, I bet the majority will move back. 1) grass is always greener on the other side 2) there are many practical reasons that will make their life not as pleasant as they think it will turn out.

I moved to Canada 8 years ago, and when asked whether it would recommended it someone else, my answer is always that depends on what's important to you and what you are willing to give up. It is really not a black and white thing. So please be rational.

Old 04-08-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Chinese move to both developed and developing countries. Some Chinese have moved to Africa to do business.

Chinese moved back to China, for the rising economic opportunites, homesickness, do not like western food and cultures, or to avoid racial discrimination.

For local people born in the good developed countries, they are lucky and tend not to think living in China is better than their home countries. They have wealth equality, good governments, little pollution, no homesickness, do not dislike their own cuisines and cultures and face no racial discrimination for being the majority in their own country. Immigrants however, may like something and also dislike something when they moved to a new country.
I agree, although I don't think Asians in America or other western countries face no racial discrimination. For example, so far I don't see a single Asian face that's on the A list of Hollywood.

Old 04-08-2016, 11:47 PM

Immigrants or ethnic minorities in very rich countries may still want to leave due to discrimination and or cultural differences. The majority ethnic groups or citizens born there are the most lucky in the world.

For example, some negative stereotypes of Asians exist in the West but are never heard of in Asia.

Old 04-09-2016, 02:51 AM

130 posts, read 58,730 times
Quote:
For example, some negative stereotypes of Asians exist in the West but are never heard of in Asia.
Of course.....

Old 04-09-2016, 02:54 AM

130 posts, read 58,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
For example, so far I don't see a single Asian face that's on the A list of Hollywood.
Then you're living in another time......

Old 04-09-2016, 06:33 AM

China(including Hong Kong), South Korea and Japan have their own entertainment industries with a large amount of international fans within Asia, talented ethnic Asians of western countries can choose to have their career at the western side of the Pacific if they can speak fluent Asian languages.

I watch tv dramas and movies, listen to pop music of different East Asian countries much more than western ones. There are enough good East Asian modern entertainment, East Asians do not have to rely on western ones for entertainment.

Old 04-11-2016, 12:51 PM

Quote:
China(including Hong Kong), South Korea and Japan have their own entertainment industries with a large amount of international fans within Asia, talented ethnic Asians of western countries can choose to have their career at the western side of the Pacific if they can speak fluent Asian languages.

I watch tv dramas and movies, listen to pop music of different East Asian countries much more than western ones. There are enough good East Asian modern entertainment, East Asians do not have to rely on western ones for entertainment.

Of course not, most East Asian don't speak any foreign language. Entertainment in Asia is abundant. I myself for example rarely listen to American pop music (maybe 10% of the time you will catch me listening to English songs). I have friends living in Canada who almost never watch American TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia