Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 09:47 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
Of course, but the majority of the languages in China are not unique to China. They are spoken primarily in other countries as well.

I can walk through the streets in Ueno and hear dozens of languages spoken, just the same walking down the streets of Shanghai or NYC. If the population is diverse the languages are diverse. Go into Jiangsu you hear Mandarin and Wu. You go to Okinawa City you hear Okinawan and Japanese, and go to middle of nowhere Ohio you hear English and nothing else. It all depends on where you go in each country.

Let me put this another way, if someone not from the U.S. wants to come to America, is one of the deciding factors based on how many languages are spoken here? I doubt it, because the country is so large and diverse the chances of running into a specific language will depend on where you visit. The same with these three countries. When you visit China, you will here Mandarin primarily, and if you hear one of the other many languages, it is probably because you are in a area it is heavily spoken, but I doubt you hear the other 50+. You go to Japan, you will hear Japanese, until you visit a specific providence except in the off chance you run into someone else who speaks one of the other languages.

As I am typing this, I forgot the intent of this thread.
You mean there are people outside of China who speak Mandarin, Zhuang, Manchu, Qiang, etc. in the rest of the world like somewhere in a neighborhood of Queens or the like? Yea, that's true but then that would hold for pretty much any language of East Asia. I don't understand at one hand arguing about the diversity of languages in Japan and then on the other hand saying it doesn't matter if there's a diversity in languages in China if you can find speakers of that language abroad. What's your point with that because no one's claiming that the broader idea of a speaker of a language can travel or emigrate elsewhere. I'm not sure what your point is supposed to be. All I was saying is that China has a lot greater diversity of languages indigenous or long established within its borders than Korea or Japan does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:48 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The whole point is: almost all Japanese residents are ethnic Japanese, no matter where you go. However, a huge chunk of China is dominated by non-Chinese, ethnically. Tibet+Xinjiang is already like 1/3 of China.
Dominated is probably the wrong word to use since the domination is going exactly the other way. Ha.

Old 02-02-2013, 10:52 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
I don't get why there needs to be an argument about language diversity. China clearly has more language diversity, but the OP stated to compare the national language only. For best sounding, for me, it's Standard Chinese, Standard Japanese, Standard Korean, based on how it sounds from a TV newscast or other formal settings. For the colloquial counterparts, I would rank it Tokyo Japanese, Seoul Korean, then Beijing Mandarin Chinese. Sorry, but the Beijing dialect, with the numerous er's, grates on my ears.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:00 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,201,644 times
Best advanced entertainment: Japan, Korea, China
National language: China, Japan, Korea (formal language) or Japan, Korea, China (colloquial)
Cuisine: China, Japan, Korea
Best weather and tourist attraction: China, Japan, Korea
Best fashion: Japan, Korea, China
Best looking people: pretty much the same
Best education: Japan, Korea, China
Interesting culture: China, Japan, Korea
Best personality: Japan, Korea, China
Best overall: Japan, China, Korea

*My rating for China does not include Hong Kong, Taiwan or Singapore as they are all very different from each other.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:34 AM

210 posts, read 275,225 times
Best advanced entertainment: Japan. Anime, Manga, Video Game, Character Goods(Hello Kitty), Literature(Haruki Murakami) etc.

National language: Definitely Japanese. Chinese and Korean sound kind of harsh. Plus, Japanese is MUCH easier for non-Japanese to pronounce.

Cuisine: Chinese. It has a great variety range of foods.

Best weather and tourist attraction: China. Their country is so huge and they still have a lot of ancient architectures.

Best fashion: Japan. Gwen Stefani, Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Frank Ocean..There are a lot of famous artists that have been inspired by Japan for style and image and it looks set to continue.

Best looking people: I'm not sure because easy plastic surgery is rampant nowadays.

Best education: Japan. Japan has produced 20 Nobel Prize winners—the highest number for any Asian country.

Interesting culture: Japan. Japan has produced a lot of unique products that have become popular world wide.

Best personality: Japan. IMO, Japanese are more civilized and sophisticated than Korean and Chinese.

Best overall: Japan

Old 02-03-2013, 12:37 PM

138 posts, read 818,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
IN MY OPINION:

2.Which national language do you think has the best sounding ?
Um? Well, if you want to be specific, I think Japanese is. I just don't care for tonal languages.
Korean isn't tonal, just so you know.

Old 02-03-2013, 12:49 PM

138 posts, read 818,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great_Jack View Post
List from best to worst

1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ?
3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ?
4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ?
5.Which country has the best fashioning ?
6.Which country has the best looking people ?
7.Which country people has the best educaton ?
8.Which country has most interested culture ?
9.Which country people has the best personality ?
10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ?

Note : For China also including Chinese's city-state like Singapore,Hong Kong and Taiwan too.
1.Which country has the most advanced enterainment ?
Japan,Korea,China

Korean,Japanese,Chinese

3.Which cuisine you found to be the best in overall ?
Chinese,Japanese,Korean

4.Which country has the best weather and tourist attraction ?
China,Japan,Korea

5.Which country has the best fashioning ?
Japan,Korea,China

6.Which country has the best looking people ?
Korea,Japan,China

7.Which country people has the best educaton ?
Japan,Korea,China

8.Which country has most interested culture ?
China,Japan,Korea

9.Which country people has the best personality ?
Japanese,Chinese,Korean

10. Which country to you think you is the best in overall ?
Japan,China,Korea

Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
I think nowadays China has a less prominent social hierarchy than Korea and Japan.

It's much easier to deal with a Chinese supervisor/boss.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:04 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm not sure what your point is supposed to be. All I was saying is that China has a lot greater diversity of languages indigenous or long established within its borders than Korea or Japan does.
Honestly, I do not remember my point anymore either.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 36,620 times
Hi,
Here is my taught
-> Advanced Environment - Japan
-> Language sound - China
-> cuisine - Korea
-> Tourist Attraction - China
-> best looking people - Singapore
-> best personality - Korea
-> Over all -> China

Regards,
Roger
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia