Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,765,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
My daughter is very excited about all of this ... she's been wanting to go overseas since she graduated from college 2 years ago, and decided now is the time to do it with almost 2 years of teaching under her belt. We just didn't know where she would end up until recruitment weekend (2 weeks ago). Her former professor from college is hooking her with some people she knows in Jakarta so that will help ... and be reassuring for mom

Good to know about the allergies ... she does have a problem with that.

Thanks everyone.
Good luck for her!
I know you are worried about her as a concerned parent - she will be fine. I promise!
Keep us posted!

And yes, if you want to send her care package make sure to add those allergy meds!

Any questions, you can always send me a msg in city data! I am addicted to this site. I am here daily! :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 08:57 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,731,918 times
One more thing about allergies, and air condition in Jakarta.. she should stock up on allergy meds and start taking it about 1 month before she goes and continues to take it daily while she's there. I take over the counter 180mg Allegra daily due to my own allergies and I swear that's what saves me everytime I travel, and I've visited some really polluted places (Jakarta, Calcutta, New Delhi - to name a few).

Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 AM

44 posts, read 70,091 times
There are many of us American's in Jakarta. I have been here almost 2 years never had a physical problem. Granted I do not travel to the slums of Jakarta. They protest the US embassy often. Tell her to keep a low profile and she will be fine. The traffic and the air quality is very bad here. In fact Jakarta is in the top 3 or 4 with the worst traffic in the world. She will get used to it but I promise you it will take months.

You will get sick here also. It just happens. In the US I was never sick outside the occasional cold. In Jakarta I have had typhoid fever, parasites, nasty colds you name it. As much as I like Indonesia they have no health procedures. No rules, no nothing. I would not eat street food ever. Stay away from salads and drink bottled water only. If she gets sick go to a private hospital only or SOS in Kuningan or Kamung. Make sure she resisters with the US embassy once she gets here. I find XL to be the best cell phone provider. They have really good strong coverage in Jakarta. Overall Jakarta is a major city that has it's good and bad things about it. The Indonesian people are very friendly and I am sure she will be just fine. However come open minded and like another post said learn Bahasa.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,665 times
Hi, im living in Jakarta, ur daughter will be fine, westerners are kindly loved in Indonesia
But the air here is not really good.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
I haven't had time yet to go through this forum for info on Jakarta, so please excuse if it's already posted on here. My daughter just accepted a teaching position in Jakarta, beginning this summer. She will be living with other Americans and teaching English at one of the international schools there. I'm wondering about the attitude toward Americans in the region and any other info about lifestyle, etc., that might be useful for a newcomer. Thanks in advance.
She will fine. Indonesia is great nation

Old 01-12-2016, 11:44 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,190,652 times
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. My daughter is currently going on her third year living in Jakarta (actually a suburb of Jakarta since August). She loves the people and has had tremendous experiences. I don't have time to write right now, but just wanted to say she has no plans to move back to the US anytime soon. Made many Indonesian friends and finds the people friendly, engaging her in conversation on the streets just to practice a little English ... and she is learning Indonesian also. She agrees ... Indonesia is a wonderful place ... she has also travelled to many other SE Asian countries and yet finds Indonesia to be her home for now.

Last edited by smpliving; 01-12-2016 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-16-2016, 08:22 AM

115 posts, read 130,321 times
Neat place and pretty exotic for an American. It's another world. I would love to go back. They really appreciate foreign tourists too.

Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 AM

25 posts, read 29,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
Neat place and pretty exotic for an American. It's another world. I would love to go back. They really appreciate foreign tourists too.
Neat? did you mean Indonesia beyond Jakarta?

I find the city pretty barren for tourists, there aren't that much point of interest. Plus the traffic is just not worth it, unless you go with motorbike or Gojek/Grabike. There are some pretty nice colonial era buildings and neighborhood. Unfortunately they have torned down most of the old buildings. The national monument and mosque are meh, the museums are substandard. Unless of course you do food hunting, business or shopping, its worth visiting Jakarta.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:49 PM

162 posts, read 270,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zie92mg9z View Post
I think because Indonesia really hardly sees white foreiners compared to the other countries. They are rare so they are appreciated when they do go there. When I have my next vacation, I might consider Indonesia instead of Philippines or Thailand because Indonesia has an even lower ratio of westerners to Asians.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:40 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,151,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigizug View Post
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all your suggestions and advice. My daughter is currently going on her third year living in Jakarta (actually a suburb of Jakarta since August). She loves the people and has had tremendous experiences. I don't have time to write right now, but just wanted to say she has no plans to move back to the US anytime soon. Made many Indonesian friends and finds the people friendly, engaging her in conversation on the streets just to practice a little English ... and she is learning Indonesian also. She agrees ... Indonesia is a wonderful place ... she has also travelled to many other SE Asian countries and yet finds Indonesia to be her home for now.
Nice of you to update the thread! And glad to hear she's doing so well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia