Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM

5,490 posts, read 13,861,856 times

Advertisements

The countries of China and Russia have a significant international geographic border with each other in Northeastern China’s Heilongjiang province/Jilin province with Siberia Southeastern Russia.

The history, connections, and relations between China and Russia can seem very mysterious/enigmatic/obscure/not so easy to figure out. Sometimes it can seem that China and Russia completely ignore each other and a lack of any relations with each other.

Both of these countries actually have some significant mixing and connections together, at least in the Northeastern regions of China and Siberia Russia because of close geographic proximity over there.

The Heilongjiang province, and Jilin provinces of China even have some noticeable Russian influence, especially the city of Harbin this article says: Russian Influence on Harbin

“Harbin today is still very much influenced by its Russian past. A city once under Russian rule, it is now a center of trade with that country. The local cuisine in Harbin is also Russian-influenced .The Harbin dialect retains some vocabulary items originating in the Russian language.”

Some European Russian looking architecture in the city of Harbin China:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:%E...6%E5%BA%97.jpg

http://www.china-tour.cn/images/Harb...hia-Church.jpg
http://www.nextjourney.org/China/China2.html

Last edited by *******; 02-07-2013 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 PM

36,885 posts, read 38,781,820 times
It's definitely a lot more apparent in the older parts of those cities whereas the newer parts not at all. The red sausage from Harbin is sometimes a really fantastic and I do enjoy it quite a bit.

I've often wondered how interesting it would be to have the Russian Far East to be far more populated than it is now and what an interesting synergy of Russian, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese cultures would form (especially if everyone stopped getting on each other's goats).

Old 02-08-2013, 12:46 PM

572 posts, read 1,310,897 times
Chinese from up North they have a reputation of being taller than average Chinese. Pre-WW2 articles and accounts of travelers, soldiers and businessmen in Beijing and North China often mention the "White Russians" and the fur trade that went through Beijing. One woman who's husband was a Sunoco executive discribed the influx of exiled Russians that came into North China on their way back into Russia immediatly after the Russian Revolution and later their fleeing back out of Russia through China as athey discovered the "worker' paradise" wasn't what it was cracked up to be with the Bolshivek terror.
Of course in late 1945, the Red army swept through North China back down to their 1905 areas. Post 1960 China and the USSR separated and Russian influence was surpressed.

Old 02-09-2013, 03:28 PM

5,490 posts, read 13,861,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's definitely a lot more apparent in the older parts of those cities whereas the newer parts not at all. The red sausage from Harbin is sometimes a really fantastic and I do enjoy it quite a bit.

I've often wondered how interesting it would be to have the Russian Far East to be far more populated than it is now and what an interesting synergy of Russian, Korean, Chinese, and Japanese cultures would form (especially if everyone stopped getting on each other's goats).
China has a lot of historic lower density architecture some people don’t realize outside of the modern high-rise buildings. Hopefully the Chinese government and related bureaucracy systems help preserve those historic architecture sites, continue to support the existence of those places, and not demolish them.

While I enjoy the Russian influence in Northeastern China for architecture, and for some extra cultural interest, that is probably not true for the food. I prefer Southern Chinese Cantonese cuisine compared to Northern Chinese cuisine.

Yeah, a more prominent synergy of Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, and Russian cultures together would be more easily possible if the Russian Far East regions had a higher population size and more people to intermingle and mix with the surrounding regions of those countries.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM

9,327 posts, read 21,932,389 times
Why would it be a surprise? Russia is next door?
There was Russian influence in Alaska, when it was owned by the Tsar, why not in that part of the world?

Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM

7,017 posts, read 14,404,591 times
Looks Russian to me: File:

Old 02-11-2013, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 18,157 times
Just went to Haerbin a couple weeks ago. Definitely not your typical Chinese city. Some parts definitely feel European. I highly recommend checking out the Ice Festival. It's phenomenal.

Old 02-11-2013, 05:37 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smog of Life View Post
Just went to Haerbin a couple weeks ago. Definitely not your typical Chinese city. Some parts definitely feel European. I highly recommend checking out the Ice Festival. It's phenomenal.
It's interesting that typically Chinese people in the south are not interested in going to Harbin in the winter, because they feel it would be unbearable.
However a lot of foreign expats have been there.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:27 PM

10 posts, read 18,157 times
Yeah, you're right, Betta. Most Chinese I've met seem to have the opinion that the south is always better than the north. My girlfriend is from Sichuan and I basically had to drag her to Haerbin with me kicking and screaming. Once we got there though she really liked it.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:50 PM

9,255 posts, read 9,679,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smog of Life View Post
Yeah, you're right, Betta. Most Chinese I've met seem to have the opinion that the south is always better than the north. My girlfriend is from Sichuan and I basically had to drag her to Haerbin with me kicking and screaming. Once we got there though she really liked it.
I was born in Sichuan too. Sichuanese always consider their food the best, their place the best, their women the best... so lucky you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia