Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Both among the fastest-growing mega-cities in the world, boasting metro areas of over 20 million each (comparable to Delhi or Mumbai), yet it seems we rarely hear about them. Pakistan and Bangladesh have scary population growth, and these cities have grown tremendously over the last decade. I know Dhaka is largely slums, and Karachi probably the same. Anyone have any experience/knowing anything much about these cities?

They're obviously totally off the tourist map, is there anything interesting at all about them?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:11 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
They're obviously totally off the tourist map, is there anything interesting at all about them?
From first glance no.

I'm sure there must be something but they don't have the drawing power to lure me there to find out. If I was offered a free or inexpensive trip to either I would take it for the sake of seeing a new place but not much more than that.

By the way in the United States, Dhaka is relatively known but for all the wrong reasons.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
From first glance no.

I'm sure there must be something but they don't have the drawing power to lure me there to find out. If I was offered a free or inexpensive trip to either I would take it for the sake of seeing a new place but not much more than that.

By the way in the United States, Dhaka is relatively known but for all the wrong reasons.
Oh yeah, what is Dhaka well known for in the States?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Oh yeah, what is Dhaka well known for in the States?
It's created a reputation for itself as the de facto poster boy for "third world" here in the United States. Every time someone says third world here, it's almost promised to be followed by Dhaka as a leading example.

It's sort of sad, I hope they can fix their image because it's definitely needed.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
It's created a reputation for itself as the de facto poster boy for "third world" here in the United States. Every time someone says third world here, it's almost promised to be followed by Dhaka as a leading example.

It's sort of sad, I hope they can fix their image because it's definitely needed.
Oh yeah, I guess like 'Bangladesh' or 'Ethiopia' are by-words for third world poverty.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:42 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Both among the fastest-growing mega-cities in the world, boasting metro areas of over 20 million each (comparable to Delhi or Mumbai), yet it seems we rarely hear about them. Pakistan and Bangladesh have scary population growth, and these cities have grown tremendously over the last decade. I know Dhaka is largely slums, and Karachi probably the same. Anyone have any experience/knowing anything much about these cities?

I've definitely thought about them.

Dhaka: Unfortunately they charge a ton of money for Americans to visit their country of Bangadesh. I'd like to go, but I don't think I'd want to stay long enough to make the visa costs worth it. I've heard its a crushing density of humanity. Those I've known who've gone, say they really liked Bangladeshi people quite a bit. That being said, it is a Muslim country, and drinking is very limited. So, that's another thing. Just dealing with the insanity of a South Indian country with nearly non-existant drinking opportunities to let off some steam at the end of the day doesn't sound as appealing. I don't mind that, but the cost of the visa combined with that, always makes me put other countries into a higher priority to see.

Karachi: Kind of similar. Another muslim India. On top of that, it's way too close to Afghanistan and all of the instability of that region. It would be interesting, but would have the same negatives of Bangladesh, with that other added negative. Would love to see it, but would love to see other places a whole lot more.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:43 PM

Bangladesh is more around NE India.

Pakistan interests me almost solely for the remnants of the Indus Valley civilisation, the most prominent site being Mohenjo-daro, dated to 2500 BC.

I don't see any compelling reason to visit Bangladesh, though. I don't think it can offer anything that India can't.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:

I don't see any compelling reason to visit Bangladesh, though. I don't think it can offer anything that India can't.
Yeahhh, even the large Bengali culture you can get in Calcutta (West Bengal, India), right down to the exact same culture just less Muslim and more Hindu but both groups having massive populations there. The two cities are built similarly too, delta river places and from the pictures I've seen Dhaka looks like a splitting image of Calcutta except slummier without as many nice parts.

The city in Pakistan that interests me the most is Lahore, it's like their Los Angeles, the entertainment center.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:24 PM

632 posts, read 1,180,060 times
I was born in Karachi and lived there for a few years before moving to the US. I visited the city back in 2009 after 14 years and all I can say is that...it has regressed instead of progressing and made me realize how grateful I should be to live in America.

Poverty combined with an increase in extremist Muslims walking up and down the streets I grew up on harassing you every step of the way, who could possibly want to travel to place like that? Plus, in all honesty, there isn't anything worth touring in Karachi. Unless you have relatives there, you're much bettr off avoiding the place.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:36 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,016,628 times
Quote:

Most Americans have never heard of Dhaka much less point where it is on a map or name the country of which it is a capital. I have thought of visiting the south coast of Bangladesh (not Dhaka) but its not high on the list. i've been to Islamabad which I found interesting but I was there for a wedding of a mate. My closest encounter with Bangladesh was after surviving a horrible (hygeine, dirty bathroom, smell) Pakistan Airlines flight.. we were arriving at the gate at JFK airport and I remember thinking "what a horrible experience" and I looked out and a dirty Bangladesh Airlines plane was next to us and I thought.. okay, it could have been worse. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia