Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

The once great Mongols are now largely confined to Inner and Outer Mongolia, and seem on the very periphery of Asian civilisation. I believe most Mongolians live within Inner Mongolia, which is part of China, and many are losing their culture and being assimilated into the dominant Han culture. In Mongolia itself they've maintained more of a separate identity, and many live a more traditional lifestyle, some as nomads.etc. They also use the Cyrillic alphabet. They seem a distinct and proud people, one of the few northeast nations left.

They seem to have some similarities with Koreans (Genetics? shamanism). It'd also be interesting to see an Altaic republic, like Yakutia or something. How do Chinese, Russians, Koreans, and Kazakhs tend to view Mongolians? If they give them much thought of all? How are they viewed historically within China, as conquerors and ultimately, the conquered (by Chinese culture).

Anyone visited or have any interest in visiting? Mongolian cuisine seems very interesting. Very heavy on the dairy and meat and hardly any vegetables.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I haven't heard much about Mongolia while in Japan.

But, when I was in Korea, there seemed to be a huge respect for Mongolians. Probably the ONLY other nationality that I've heard Koreans respect. Koreans have the Mongolian birthmark like Mangolians, and have similar features - i.e. strong cheekbones, tall, thick hair, the birthmark by the tailbone which is a blue spot, etc. Mongolians also drink alchol like water, which is the same way Koreans do it. Plus Mongolians love their meat, as do Koreans.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:41 PM

Yes of all the other Asian nations it seems Korea and Kazakhstan are the closest to the Mongolians. It's kind of interesting how sparsely populated Mongolia it, it has a lower population density than Australia!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,574 times
Kazakhs are Turkic people, like the other 'stans', with a Turko-Persianized culture, but am sure they have some Mongol genes somewhere in their ancestry.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 PM

Kazakhs look about 30-40% Caucasoid, and 60-70% Mongoloid.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,574 times
Many Central Asians have that Pan-Asian/Eurasian look, with a mix of European and Asian features.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Many Central Asians have that Pan-Asian/Eurasian look, with a mix of European and Asian features.
Definitely. I'm very interested in Central Asian and Central Asians. Kazakhs, Uyghurs, Uzbeks.etc. Such a fusion of cultures. Middle Eastern, Indian, European, and Far Eastern cultures collide, along with their own local customs.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The once great Mongols are now largely confined to Inner and Outer Mongolia, and seem on the very periphery of Asian civilisation. I believe most Mongolians live within Inner Mongolia, which is part of China, and many are losing their culture and being assimilated into the dominant Han culture. In Mongolia itself they've maintained more of a separate identity, and many live a more traditional lifestyle, some as nomads.etc. They also use the Cyrillic alphabet. They seem a distinct and proud people, one of the few northeast nations left.

They seem to have some similarities with Koreans (Genetics? shamanism). It'd also be interesting to see an Altaic republic, like Yakutia or something. How do Chinese, Russians, Koreans, and Kazakhs tend to view Mongolians? If they give them much thought of all? How are they viewed historically within China, as conquerors and ultimately, the conquered (by Chinese culture).

Anyone visited or have any interest in visiting? Mongolian cuisine seems very interesting. Very heavy on the dairy and meat and hardly any vegetables.
Can't explain why but I've always been fascinated with traditional Mongolian, (nomads), and their culture. Would love to go and visit one day. Seems in ways a harsh life but seems in ways, much more peaceful than what I know now. I hope they never lose their traditional ways.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Mongols in (outer) Mongolia hate China. Everyone of them considers China their enemy.

People in China don't really care so much about Mongolia. You only hear the name frequently in weather forecasts: "A cold front from Mongolia is approaching...A sandstorm is forming in Mongolia...Wildfire in Mongolia is spreading..."

Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 AM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,534,042 times
interesting segment...looks like Mongolia is becoming more westernized as it grows and people starting to have more disposable income...you can see the development...are major companies starting to invest there more nowdays?

Fresh Off The Boat With Eddie Huang: Mongolia (Part 3) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.