Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 06:00 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well almost half of Singaporeans still speak Mandarin as their first language, so the Mandarin ability is actually pretty good. Many can speak both English and Mandarin quite well.
Pretty good, maybe, but that depends on your criteria for that. To me, it seemed like the Mandarin speaking/reading/writing ability of most Chinese Singaporeans I met was a bit above passable but not really good. I did think the people who spoke Hokkien had a fun accent (though they probably felt the same with me speaking American-tinged Taiwanese).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 06:23 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Pretty good, maybe, but that depends on your criteria for that. To me, it seemed like the Mandarin speaking/reading/writing ability of most Chinese Singaporeans I met was a bit above passable but not really good. I did think the people who spoke Hokkien had a fun accent (though they probably felt the same with me speaking American-tinged Taiwanese).
Probably yeah, they're not immersed in an environment where everything is totally Chinese like in Taiwan or China.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:46 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,014,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't know how people would quantify it. But, I've regularly heard that residents of Hong Kong/Macau are losing their English abilities since the handover. Don't know if its more a result of more mainlanders moving to Hong Kong/Macau, who don't know English, or other factors.

What are your thoughts, perceptions, direct experiences (if you have them), things you've read, etc.

Did they speak a lot of English in Macao before the Portuguese handed the territory back to China?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Did they speak a lot of English in Macao before the Portuguese handed the territory back to China?
English ability seemed noticeably lower in Macau than HK, as you'd expect. Few spoke any Portuguese. There was a small Portuguese and Macanese (mixed Portuguese and Chinese) community at the time of the handover and a smaller one today.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:19 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,202,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Really depends on what you compare it to. We all agree that Singlish also sounds funny although that is the lingua franca and one can definitely get by with just English in Singapore. I did hear considerably fewer lahs in my last visit there compared to earlier visits.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Really depends on what you compare it to. We all agree that Singlish also sounds funny although that is the lingua franca and one can definitely get by with just English in Singapore. I did hear considerably fewer lahs in my last visit there compared to earlier visits.
Ah, got so many foreigners don't know how to talk the local lingo, lah!

Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Seems like there are still many in Hongkong who can't speak English.
I never knew that people from Macau can really speak English, they can't even speak Portuguese when it used to be a Portuguese colony.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:12 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
I never knew that people from Macau can really speak English, they can't even speak Portuguese when it used to be a Portuguese colony.
Hong Kong and Macau were not like other colonies. China was still there and local people considered themselves Chinese.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:11 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
I'm curious what percentage of people in both Hong Kong and Macau, were born in mainland China.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:40 AM

844 posts, read 1,656,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
How do Philipino servants communicate with their masters in Hong Kong? in English I suppose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia