Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 02:58 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times

Advertisements

Are there nations that treat Overseas Filipinos badly - discriminating against them, committing crimes against them, etc.? Are there nations that do not want Filipinos?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
Why do you ask?

You wouldn't be implying anything about domestic workers, would you?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:11 PM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,381 times
With 9 million overseas Filipinos, yes, there are crimes committed against them. It will be surprising if there are no criminal victims among 9 million people. The Middle East, especially Saudi Arabia, seems to have a higher proportion with regards to the frequency and severity of the crimes being reported in the news. There was a temporary ban on new hires to Saudi Arabia because their government won't agree to a US$400 monthly minimum wage for domestic workers from the Philippines. It has now since been lifted though. It still seems a scary place to go as there are Filipinos in jail there accused of proselytizing. I have also heard of a story wherein an Arab driver clearly bumped a car driven by a Filipino. But the Arab judge ruled that the Filipino driver has to pay the Arab driver for damages because if he did not go to Saudi Arabia, then the accident couldn't have happened!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Why do you ask?

You wouldn't be implying anything about domestic workers, would you?

The Filipinos I know are health care professionals!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
With 9 million overseas Filipinos, yes, there are crimes committed against them. It will be surprising if there are no criminal victims among 9 million people. The Middle East, especially Saudi Arabia, seems to have a higher proportion with regards to the frequency and severity of the crimes being reported in the news. There was a temporary ban on new hires to Saudi Arabia because their government won't agree to a US$400 monthly minimum wage for domestic workers from the Philippines. It has now since been lifted though. It still seems a scary place to go as there are Filipinos in jail there accused of proselytizing. I have also heard of a story wherein an Arab driver clearly bumped a car driven by a Filipino. But the Arab judge ruled that the Filipino driver has to pay the Arab driver for damages because if he did not go to Saudi Arabia, then the accident couldn't have happened!

If I were a Christian Filipino, the only Middle Eastern nation I would work in is Israel. On the other hand, I don't think Muslim Filipinos are treated any better in the Middle East.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:24 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,997,996 times
middle east and hong kong

Old 02-22-2013, 09:06 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Are there nations that treat Overseas Filipinos badly - discriminating against them, committing crimes against them, etc.? Are there nations that do not want Filipinos?
I haven't heard of any 'not wanting' Filipinos. But, I'd imagine there are definitely problems.

One thing I noticed in South Korea, was Koreans would hire 'entertainers' i.e. musicians. But, they'd want female singers/musicians, and as soon as they arrived, theyd try to put them near the U.S. military bases and strongly encourage them to milk the U.S. military guys, and prostitute themselves literally, or just in a way of milking guys to buy 'lady drinks' all night. Plus keep very tight lids on them, very little mobility, have stiff and strong curfews for doing anything whatsoever outside of working hours, etc.

Often this intensified as Filipinos often get 'ripped off' by Filipino agencies who promise them one thing, charge them high amounts to do the paperwork to get them somewhere else, and than have no 'refund' if the host country employer doesn't deliver properly on their own. Not many repurcussions for those agenies that connect the poor Filipino with the potentially iffy sleazy potential employer.

Additionally, since they can't easily come and go in and out of certain countries, they can get 'stuck' more easily.

There are a lot that Americans/Australians/Europeans really take for granted. The fact we can visit almost anywhere easily at anytime, and have the resources of some kind, to get out of any bad financial situation if things went bad. Filipinos (or Indonesians, etc.) run a much higher risk of being 'abused' in some way.

That being said, there are tons and tons of Filipinos all over the world, and quite happy to be living in the Dubais, the Singapores, the Hong Kongs, the Torontos, the Tokyos, etc. of the world. In short, it's definitely not all gloom and doom. The Filipino gov't is also doing a ton to try to educate the general population of the risks of going abroad and some of the situations that Filipinos might find themselves in. They also restrict issuing visas to Filipinos to go to such-and-such countries, if those other countries don't have the resources/legal protection/agencies to protect the Filipino citizens from those types of abuses.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:21 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
If I were a Christian Filipino, the only Middle Eastern nation I would work in is Israel. On the other hand, I don't think Muslim Filipinos are treated any better in the Middle East.
Actually, there are tons and tons and tons of Filipinos living and working throughout the Gulf countries - UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, etc.

From my understanding, many are quite happy there, and if they have some great skills like engineering and nursing, they are paid much higher than they would have been in the Philippines. Also, the UAE, they can fly and out without a visa. This means they can fly in, stay at their little rooming situations with other Filipinos, network, and look for the better job - as opposed to agencies like in South Korea, where you're connected sight unseen directly with an employer that might not be a legit good employer.

I've also heard that Filipinos in UAE have a lot of other options besides just nursing, maids, and such. Since everything is also in English, many are found throughout businesses and shops doing all kinds of things like travel agent and everything else.

In short, UAE in particular, can be a very desireable country for many Filipinos.

Generally, the horror stories from the Middle East, almost always come from Saudia Arabia. Not UAE, etc.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,997,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Actually, there are tons and tons and tons of Filipinos living and working throughout the Gulf countries - UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, etc.

From my understanding, many are quite happy there, and if they have some great skills like engineering and nursing, they are paid much higher than they would have been in the Philippines. Also, the UAE, they can fly and out without a visa. This means they can fly in, stay at their little rooming situations with other Filipinos, network, and look for the better job - as opposed to agencies like in South Korea, where you're connected sight unseen directly with an employer that might not be a legit good employer.

I've also heard that Filipinos in UAE have a lot of other options besides just nursing, maids, and such. Since everything is also in English, many are found throughout businesses and shops doing all kinds of things like travel agent and everything else.

In short, UAE in particular, can be a very desireable country for many Filipinos.

Generally, the horror stories from the Middle East, almost always come from Saudia Arabia. Not UAE, etc.
UAE and Dubai is one of the few places where filipinos succeed
America is the place with the most successful filipinos....with a few millionaires

Overseas Filipinos

Regions with significant populations
United States 3,416,840[2][3]
Saudi Arabia 1,159,003
Malaysia 900,000
UAE 609,704
Canada 436,190
Japan 350,972
Australia 336,140
Qatar 263,980
Italy 259,508
United Kingdom 200,987
Mexico 200,000
Hong Kong 168,550
Singapore 163,090
Kuwait 155,744
Taiwan 94,283
South Korea 81,395
Germany 55,309
Greece 51,656
Spain 51,268[4]
Bahrain 50,695
France 50,013
Oman 41,000
Israel 39,002
Jordan 32,896
Lebanon 31,348
Austria 29,824
New Zealand 27,139
Libya 23,713
Guam 23,563
Switzerland 22,431
Norway 20,683
Cyprus 20,284

Old 02-22-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
UAE and Dubai is one of the few places where filipinos succeed
America is the place with the most successful filipinos....with a few millionaires

Did you get those figures from Wikipedia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia