Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times

Advertisements

I'm not that aware of the differences, but curious if others are. I loved Hong Kong filmes like Chungking Express. Always liked the Jackie Chan movies set in fuedal China - but always assumed that was filmed in Hong Kong?

Curious if and how they are similar or different. Wondering if HK still dominates with film, or if Beijing/Shanghai is surpassing it or not. On that note, does Macau have any film industry, or any famous films to note?

Might be an interesting discussion in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I'm curious to, the Chinese film industry has become more well known since the 1970s. Zhang Yimou's 'Raise the Red Lantern' is one of the earliest Chinese films that seemed to gain widespread appeal. Also Taiwan, Ang Lee is one famous Taiwanese director who comes to mind, and a lot of Mandarin films, especially light-hearted romantic comedies, seem to come out of Taiwan.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:06 AM

1,141 posts, read 2,203,381 times
I used to watch a lot of Hong Kong films and TV, but the industry seems to be waning. This article pretty much sums it up: Movies: Hong Kong taps China's potential - TIME

Although the article says that the Asian Financial Crisis affected the HK film industry from which it never recovered, the HK handover to China was probably a factor as well.

I used to enjoy the Jackie Chan movies, the Once Upon a Time in China series as well as the Condor Heroes trilogy series. One of the first HK movies I watched after the handover was The Soong Sisters, and it is disappointing that the film obviously puts the Communists in a favorable light.

Am not a big fan of the current mainland Chinese films. Hero also has a somewhat political message to it, which I dislike. I must admit that the cinematography of films like House of the Flying Daggers and The Curse of the Golden Flower are excellent. However, I do find the storyline and plots kind of disappointing. And not sure, but something is amiss in these films that makes me prefer those from Hollywood or even from Japan or Korea instead. I am a big fan of Ang Lee, and IMHO, he is one of the best film directors.

I am not sure when the HK film industry will make a comeback or will it be permanently be overshadowed by China. But there are just not many new faces there. Andy Lau, Jet Li, Maggie Cheung and Jackie Chan were the big names when I was still a small kid. Nowadays, they are still the ones in HK films, except maybe Jet Li and Jackie Chan are also in Hollywood films! Aren't there any new movie stars from HK?

Old 02-22-2013, 06:07 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,190,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I am not sure when the HK film industry will make a comeback or will it be permanently be overshadowed by China. But there are just not many new faces there. Andy Lau, Jet Li, Maggie Cheung and Jackie Chan were the big names when I was still a small kid. Nowadays, they are still the ones in HK films, except maybe Jet Li and Jackie Chan are also in Hollywood films! Aren't there any new movie stars from HK?
I just wished Jackie Chan didn't have to use guns and have guns throughout all his American films. I absolutely loved the old feudal china martial ones. Putting him in American cities with gun guys and fast cars didn't seem as cool (to me anyways).

That being said, I believe American audiences really loved that though.

Old 02-22-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I just wished Jackie Chan didn't have to use guns and have guns throughout all his American films. I absolutely loved the old feudal china martial ones. Putting him in American cities with gun guys and fast cars didn't seem as cool (to me anyways).

That being said, I believe American audiences really loved that though.
I don't mind the guns so much, there are still a lot of fighting scenes in the Rush Hour series...although his others ones not so much.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:31 AM

One thing about Jackie is his English skills, or rather lack of. You'd think such a prominent celeb and one who's been to Hollywood would have a better command of English.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:02 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
One thing about Jackie is his English skills, or rather lack of. You'd think such a prominent celeb and one who's been to Hollywood would have a better command of English.
Actually I think his English is pretty good. You need to know he was trained to perform Peking opera since childhood and did not attend school much.
He is one of the few Chinese actors who can be interviewed by foreign media without a translator.
In mainland China, no actor can do that!

Old 07-20-2015, 02:00 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
I think this is a Hong Kong old school flick.

Master of the Flying Guillotine - U.S. Theatrical Trailer

Old 07-20-2015, 09:32 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Jackie Chan is an abysmal human-being, and a horrible actor as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Am not a big fan of the current mainland Chinese films. Hero also has a somewhat political message to it, which I dislike. I must admit that the cinematography of films like House of the Flying Daggers and The Curse of the Golden Flower are excellent. However, I do find the storyline and plots kind of disappointing. And not sure, but something is amiss in these films that makes me prefer those from Hollywood or even from Japan or Korea instead. I am a big fan of Ang Lee, and IMHO, he is one of the best film directors.
I've only seen House of the Flying Daggers out of these and it was a terrible watch. #killitwithfire

Old 07-21-2015, 09:24 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,180 times
HK is not as attractive as before. For example, people in mainland China are not as interested in HKers' life as before, and prefer stories that take place in mainland China (or foreign countries). HK film companies usually have limited budgets too.

However, many Chinese (mainland) films use HK actors or staff, and vice versa. They gradually become the same.

One problem of Chinese film industry is the heavy censorship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia