Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2013, 02:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

I was wondering whether to put this in the religious forum, but this is something I'm curious about. I read in a book that many educated Hinduism tend towards monotheism, and do not literally belief in say Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesha, Lakshmi as literal separate deity. I know many Hindus of whatever caste or class do acknowledge these gods are avatars of a supreme being, but it seems this idea is commoner among educated Hindus, many of whom have a more abstract view of things. They still might partake in the various ceremonies and rituals, but they have less 'folk beliefs.' Would you say this is true?

Are most rich Indians still mostly Hindu? Are there many agnostic/atheist Indians? I know India is a deeply religious country, so it'd be few as a percentage, but then again the percentage of really wealthy is small too.

What about the demographic characteristics of Muslims, Christians, Parsis, Jains.etc? In terms of socio-economic status?

Old 02-26-2013, 02:17 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Hey, what about tantra? There was a huge scandal in India last year re: some kids got horribly molested by a tantric group. What's the deal with that? I guess it's mostly underground, so the authorities can't shut it down, but if child abuse is happening, how hard could it be for the police to infiltrate some of these groups and arrest people?

Old 02-26-2013, 10:53 PM

26 posts, read 47,999 times
I'm an educated Hindu that was born and raised in the US. The ancient religion of the Vedic civilization was monotheistic, bordering on atheistic, and focused strongly on philosophy. Over time Hinduism absorbed elements of the various cultures throughout India, which included various animist cults that worshiped earth deities. From this fusion emerged modern day Hinduism. Most educated Hindus continue to follow the ancient rituals and worship avatars because those traditions are typically associated with a specific village or region. It's thus viewed as comforting and a cultural rather than literal/spiritual activity. Hindus can easily move from ritual to philosophy because our religion allows for a huge degree of intellectual freedom.

Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayArea32 View Post
I'm an educated Hindu that was born and raised in the US. The ancient religion of the Vedic civilization was monotheistic, bordering on atheistic, and focused strongly on philosophy. Over time Hinduism absorbed elements of the various cultures throughout India, which included various animist cults that worshiped earth deities. From this fusion emerged modern day Hinduism. Most educated Hindus continue to follow the ancient rituals and worship avatars because those traditions are typically associated with a specific village or region. It's thus viewed as comforting and a cultural rather than literal/spiritual activity. Hindus can easily move from ritual to philosophy because our religion allows for a huge degree of intellectual freedom.
Yeahhh exactly what I was going to say.

I was born and raised a Hindu but abandoned religion altogether many years ago, I'm Atheist now.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:16 AM

105 posts, read 202,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Hey, what about tantra? There was a huge scandal in India last year re: some kids got horribly molested by a tantric group. What's the deal with that? I guess it's mostly underground, so the authorities can't shut it down, but if child abuse is happening, how hard could it be for the police to infiltrate some of these groups and arrest people?
How do you know police already aren't doing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia