Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 12:22 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
Okay, I'm not quite sure why Mongolians are quite short and stocky (given their northern latitude), but I also find the general observation that height increases as you go up north is basically true.
muscular skeletal system?

gymnasts are also short and stocky too

Old 04-14-2018, 02:27 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
Okay, I'm not quite sure why Mongolians are quite short and stocky (given their northern latitude), but I also find the general observation that height increases as you go up north is basically true.

I live in a major U.S. city that has many internationals from all around the world, and I find that many Koreans and Chinese are quite tall nowadays. I have both Korean and Chinese relatives in my family, and the males tend to range between 5'9''-6'1'', without any shoe lifts.

Some of the girls I've seen are quite tall, like half a head taller than me. I stand 5'7'' as an Asian woman so I'm not exactly short.
haha, this is funny. Mongolians are on my list of tall Asians. Well-fed Chinese, Koreans and Japanese are also fairly tall.

Americans, btw, have been losing stature, and are among the shorter Euro-descended groups, now. The Dutch are the tallest.

It's all relative, and depends to a large extent on nutrition. Andean peoples--the Quechua, especially the women, tend to be child-sized. They don't have much protein in their diet at all, and almost no dairy. The younger generations are taller, as the diet has improved for some families.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:19 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
haha, this is funny. Mongolians are on my list of tall Asians. Well-fed Chinese, Koreans and Japanese are also fairly tall.

Americans, btw, have been losing stature, and are among the shorter Euro-descended groups, now. The Dutch are the tallest.

It's all relative, and depends to a large extent on nutrition. Andean peoples--the Quechua, especially the women, tend to be child-sized. They don't have much protein in their diet at all, and almost no dairy. The younger generations are taller, as the diet has improved for some families.
In 2014, an article says the average height of 18 year-old males in Beijing is 174.1 cm, females 161.4 cm.

Japanese fairly tall? Actually they are well known to be short in Asia. It's true nowadays they are slightly taller than rural Chinese, but still shorter than urban Chinese and Koreans.

Mongols are shorter than average East Asians too, but there is a big variation. Inuits are probably the shortest continental "Asians" (although technically they are "North Americans")

People in the west think Chinese are very shorter partly because most overseas Chinese were from Guangdong and Fujian, where people are among the shortest in China.

Last edited by Bettafish; 04-14-2018 at 03:28 PM..

Old 04-14-2018, 03:49 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Height is a genetic marker like other characteristics. Its nothing to figure out. They are short because they are suppose to be short. Its like the eyes. Asians have short heights, and unique eye shapes. They are identifiable genetic traits.
Then how do you explain the increase in average height of 8 inches in South Korean women in the last century? Or that North Korean men are about 3 inches shorter than South Korean men? It can't be strictly due to genetic markers. Diet obviously plays a part.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:41 PM

36 posts, read 102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I don't know your source, but that seems about right....
Urban Chinese should be taller than Japanese. Also, young Urban NE+Shandong Chinese should be taller than Korean and the tallest in East Asia.

Old 04-16-2018, 01:45 AM

90 posts, read 111,156 times
korean taller of all

Old 04-16-2018, 03:03 PM

116 posts, read 191,873 times
Generally, men from all three East Asian ethnic groups (Chinese, Koreans, Japanese) can be quite tall nowadays.

So how I distinguish 'tallness' is by looking at the female heights, because women's heights are less variable then men's after a certain age - and it's my observation that it's fairly easy to find rather 'tall' Northern/Northeastern Chinese women and S.Korean women but not so easy to find the same 'tall' Japanese women. (My definition of tall would be 5'8'' ~172cm and above).

If you watch a volleyball match between Chinese women vs. Japanese women or Korean women vs. Japanese women, you'll see that there's a bit of difference in the heights of the athletes.

Some Japanese men - esp. among the younger generation - can be tall, but their women tend to be quite short.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:33 PM

24,600 posts, read 9,440,677 times
Lived in japan for 3 years and korea for 1 year. To sum it up in a vast generalization:

Japanese folks are pretty short on average.

Koreans, man those folks are tall. Living there for just one year changed my entire view of Asians and height. They may not be taller on average than other ethnics, but go to Korea, and you'll see plenty of height.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:42 PM

214 posts, read 238,166 times
If Korean men are tall ? Why the average height of Korean men's basketball is 195cm? Average height of Shandong GAOSU men's basketball team 199.7cm Average height of Qingdao Shuang xing men's basketball team 199.1cm

Old 04-18-2018, 12:48 PM

214 posts, read 238,166 times
Xuzhou City, Jiangsu 我市学生身高高于全省平均 水平,其中7岁女生、11岁男生、13岁女生、17岁男生高于省均值1厘米,13岁男生、14岁男女生高于 省均值2厘米。17岁男生平均身高达到1.75米, Average height of 17 years old 175cm 比十几年前大大提高。男孩的身高成长主要在初中和高中阶段。

城市学生身高明显高于乡镇

从城乡学校来看,小学组抽测学校身高差距明显:小学组泉山星光双语学校学生平均身高1.46米,睢宁某小学 平均身高1.37米,差值9厘米。初高中差距没有小学组那么明显。云龙新城实验学校学生平均身高1.67米 与某城乡接合部学校相比,相差4厘米。市区高中学生明显高于县区高中学生,江苏模特学校、第36中学、徐州 三中等学校男生平均身高1.77米,与县区高中相差三四厘米。 Jiangsu model school Xuzhou 36 high school Xuzhou NO3 high school Average height of 177cm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia