Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 01:03 PM

214 posts, read 238,101 times

Advertisements

,2015年9月-12月我省连续第7年开展了中小学生免费健康体检。此次共对全省968.3万名6-18岁的中小学生进行了健康体检,体检项目涵盖身体形态、生理机能和常见疾病等3个方面的26项指标(9. 68 million 6 to 18 years old )
以身高为例,2015年我省18岁年龄组男生的平均身高已达到175.3厘米,女生达到163.2厘米,分 别超过2014年全国平均水平3.3厘米和3.8厘米,居各省前列。尤其是,我省农村男女生的身高与201 0年调研结果相比有了显著提高,18岁农村男生的平均身高达到了174.8厘米,比5年前提高了1.1厘米 ;女生的平均身高达到了162.9厘米,比5年前提高了2.1厘米。城乡中小学生间的身高差距进一步缩小, 我省城乡18岁男生的平均身高仅相差0.8厘米;城乡18岁女生的身高差距已经缩小到0.5厘 米。( The 18 year old The average height of Shandong 175.3cm City 175.6cm Rural 174.8cm)

Old 04-18-2018, 02:39 PM

116 posts, read 191,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingwuwang92 View Post
If Korean men are tall ? Why the average height of Korean men's basketball is 195cm? Average height of Shandong GAOSU men's basketball team 199.7cm Average height of Qingdao Shuang xing men's basketball team 199.1cm
You're equating a group of basketball team players to an entire group of people.

Theoretically you could still have a group of basketball team players representing X country that has a higher average height than another group of basketball team players representing Y country, and yet with the average of X country males having relatively shorter heights than the average males of Y country.

China has way more population than Korea (~26 times Korea's population), so you're bound to have way more outliers (in terms of height) than S.Korea. Hell, you're bound to find outliers than even the tallest country in the world, the Netherlands, lol! Does that mean that the average Chinese man is the tallest in the world?

My experience is that both young North Chinese and S.Korean men are quite tall, and many are over 6+ ft.

On average, the South Korean males are taller than your regular Chinese male when you average out all the provinces (perhaps on par or slightly shorter than Northern Chinese males, but little to no difference).

Just because it's easier to find outliers with exceptional height in China, especially in North China, doesn't necessarily mean that the people of that country must be the tallest on average.

Old 04-18-2018, 02:53 PM

Let me represent using a hypothetical (of course with many assumptions built in but this still illustrates my point):

Let's say there are 100 people in China. 90 people have average heights of 170cm; the remaining 10 people have average heights of 200cm (outliers, the ones you see in basketball).

The average height for the entire Chinese population is 173cm ((90*170)+(10*200))/100 = 173

Now let's say there are 10 people in Korea. 8 people have average heights of 170cm (same as the Chinese sample); the remaining 2 people have average heights of 195cm, which is far fewer than the number of people in the Chinese outliers, and also shorter on average.

The average height for the entire Korean population is 175cm ((8*170)+(2*195))/19 = 175.

You see, even with the far greater number of outliers pushing 190+cm in the Chinese sample (2 vs. 10), you can still technically have a higher average for the smaller Korean population.

I'm not saying that this hypothetical accurately reflects the average heights of the two populations.

But I'm simply pointing out a flaw in your logic that because you can easily find outliers in a very particular group of people, that fact alone should automatically serve as the proxy for the average height for the entire nation.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:32 PM

214 posts, read 238,101 times
You know the average height of Chinese men's basketball is 203cm ?

Old 04-18-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingwuwang92 View Post
You know the average height of Chinese men's basketball is 203cm ?
Doesn't matter if it's 203cm or 200cm. Even if it's 210cm, that doesn't change the fact that your logic can easily be disproved.

The point is you cannot infer the average height for a group of people from the average height of a very selected group of people (i.e., basketball players), for obvious reasons.

Old 04-18-2018, 05:44 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
You're equating a group of basketball team players to an entire group of people.

Theoretically you could still have a group of basketball team players representing X country that has a higher average height than another group of basketball team players representing Y country, and yet with the average of X country males having relatively shorter heights than the average males of Y country.

China has way more population than Korea (~26 times Korea's population), so you're bound to have way more outliers (in terms of height) than S.Korea. Hell, you're bound to find outliers than even the tallest country in the world, the Netherlands, lol! Does that mean that the average Chinese man is the tallest in the world?

My experience is that both young North Chinese and S.Korean men are quite tall, and many are over 6+ ft.

On average, the South Korean males are taller than your regular Chinese male when you average out all the provinces (perhaps on par or slightly shorter than Northern Chinese males, but little to no difference).

Just because it's easier to find outliers with exceptional height in China, especially in North China, doesn't necessarily mean that the people of that country must be the tallest on average.
"Many over 6+", I'm not sure if I'd got that far. I live part time in northern China, I'm 6' 2" and when I'm out in public, there is almost never a time when I see someone even within a few inches of my height. Just a rough guess, my shoulders are approximately 5' 8", maybe a littler shorter, and most Chinese barely make it to my shoulders, even the younger generations. I do meet some Chinese young men who are close to my height, but it's still rare, I'm not sure if I've ever met a Chinese person taller then me. I'd say most Chinese men, young ones specifically, are probably 5' 8" to 5" 10" with some, not many reaching 6'+. Northern Chinese are taller then southern Chinese, but not a lot taller, maybe a couple of inches on average.

The average height of Chinese men is now 172 cm, 1 cm taller than their Japanese counterparts: Shanghaiist

Old 04-18-2018, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
"Many over 6+", I'm not sure if I'd got that far. I live part time in northern China, I'm 6' 2" and when I'm out in public, there is almost never a time when I see someone even within a few inches of my height. Just a rough guess, my shoulders are approximately 5' 8", maybe a littler shorter, and most Chinese barely make it to my shoulders, even the younger generations. I do meet some Chinese young men who are close to my height, but it's still rare, I'm not sure if I've ever met a Chinese person taller then me. I'd say most Chinese men, young ones specifically, are probably 5' 8" to 5" 10" with some, not many reaching 6'+. Northern Chinese are taller then southern Chinese, but not a lot taller, maybe a couple of inches on average.

The average height of Chinese men is now 172 cm, 1 cm taller than their Japanese counterparts: Shanghaiist
You're probably right. I admit I was asserting more from the perspective of overseas Northern Chinese individuals, many of whom I see that go over 6+ feet (possibly due to a better diet in the States or just selective people make it to the West).

But yes, I'd agree with your observation. I was just addressing another poster since he was trying to establish a false link between the average height of basketball players and the average height of a group of people.

Old 04-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
You're probably right. I admit I was asserting more from the perspective of overseas Northern Chinese individuals, many of whom I see that go over 6+ feet (possibly due to a better diet in the States or just selective people make it to the West).

But yes, I'd agree with your observation. I was just addressing another poster since he was trying to establish a false link between the average height of basketball players and the average height of a group of people.
Well, some people aren't even worth replying to. Whats the point in comparing basketball players heights, I mean come on... China has a billion people to choose from, is it any surprise they tallest ones are basketball stars... lol.

East Asian heights are increasing due to better diet and we see that in other countries and regions as well. The US is actually decreasing right now, it makes me wonder if there is a correlation to fast food... probably... Americans are getting shorter and fatter...

Old 04-19-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Well, some people aren't even worth replying to. Whats the point in comparing basketball players heights, I mean come on... China has a billion people to choose from, is it any surprise they tallest ones are basketball stars... lol.

East Asian heights are increasing due to better diet and we see that in other countries and regions as well. The US is actually decreasing right now, it makes me wonder if there is a correlation to fast food... probably... Americans are getting shorter and fatter...
Yeah I should have exercised better judgement responding to that comment lol.

Hmm, yes the US height is decreasing, and it may be due to the increased fast food consumption but I also think it's due to the immigration coming from South America that's also impacting the average height.

If you separate out White Americans, Black Americans, and Hispanic Americans, you see that the White American male average hasn't really changed.

Old 04-19-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah I should have exercised better judgement responding to that comment lol.

Hmm, yes the US height is decreasing, and it may be due to the increased fast food consumption but I also think it's due to the immigration coming from South America that's also impacting the average height.

If you separate out White Americans, Black Americans, and Hispanic Americans, you see that the White American male average hasn't really changed.
That makes sense. But Americans of all races tend to me taller then those races from their native lands. Maybe an exception is for Scandinavians who are the tallest in the world, but I haven’t seen any research that really breaks the demographics down to ethnic groups, it’s mostly just by nationality and in some cases race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia