Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 10:53 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,437,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingwuwang92 View Post
You know the average height of Chinese men's basketball is 203cm ?
Do you know that the average height of Chinese midgets is 120 cm?

Old 04-19-2018, 03:49 PM

36 posts, read 102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
"Many over 6+", I'm not sure if I'd got that far. I live part time in northern China, I'm 6' 2" and when I'm out in public, there is almost never a time when I see someone even within a few inches of my height. Just a rough guess, my shoulders are approximately 5' 8", maybe a littler shorter, and most Chinese barely make it to my shoulders, even the younger generations. I do meet some Chinese young men who are close to my height, but it's still rare, I'm not sure if I've ever met a Chinese person taller then me. I'd say most Chinese men, young ones specifically, are probably 5' 8" to 5" 10" with some, not many reaching 6'+. Northern Chinese are taller then southern Chinese, but not a lot taller, maybe a couple of inches on average.

The average height of Chinese men is now 172 cm, 1 cm taller than their Japanese counterparts: Shanghaiist
Whereabouts in the North do you live?

From personal experiences in Dalian, young men aged 18-20 tend to be very tall but older people tend to be much shorter by 4 inches/10cm. But then again, Dalian+coastal Shandong is referred to as the region with the tallest average height for Chinese men age 18-20 at an average of 176/177cm (5'9.5). In that sense, they are slightly taller than SK (and the tallest in Asia).

With younger men, there are definitely many over 6'2. I even see 6'7 people. I don't think you've been to many areas with young people then. I'm slightly taller than you and I saw younger men taller than me on a daily basis. Either that, or you haven't been paying attention.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:16 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,896,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeha View Post
Whereabouts in the North do you live?

From personal experiences in Dalian, young men aged 18-20 tend to be very tall but older people tend to be much shorter by 4 inches/10cm. But then again, Dalian+coastal Shandong is referred to as the region with the tallest average height for Chinese men age 18-20 at an average of 176/177cm (5'9.5). In that sense, they are slightly taller than SK (and the tallest in Asia).

With younger men, there are definitely many over 6'2. I even see 6'7 people. I don't think you've been to many areas with young people then. I'm slightly taller than you and I saw younger men taller than me on a daily basis. Either that, or you haven't been paying attention.
My wife’s family is from just outside Harbin, but they recently relocated to just SW of Beijing and that’s where our apartment is. My wife is 5’11”, and she was the 2nd tallest person in her graduating class. Only one guy was taller then her and he was barely taller then her.

I’m 30 years old and most of my Chinese friends are similar ages. I’m sure the next generation will be taller, but I can’t imagine a 4”+ average growth in a decade. I find it hard to believe you are seeing 6’2”+ people on a regular basis. But maybe, who knows.

When I’m on buses, trains, subways, etc. I can see well over the heads of the majority of people. I’m sure other tall foreigners have thought about the same thing. I remember I was in Zhengzhou, Henan once maybe 5 years ago and there was a black guy on the bus, he obviously hadn’t seen another foreigner in a while either, so we waved at each other, it was just a very memorable moment. Not a single person on that bus was even to my chin. And Henan people aren’t short by Chinese standards, above average. Anyway, those are just my anecdotal observations, by no means scientific, so it’s silly to argue over them.

Old 04-19-2018, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
My wife’s family is from just outside Harbin, but they recently relocated to just SW of Beijing and that’s where our apartment is. My wife is 5’11”, and she was the 2nd tallest person in her graduating class. Only one guy was taller then her and he was barely taller then her.

I’m 30 years old and most of my Chinese friends are similar ages. I’m sure the next generation will be taller, but I can’t imagine a 4”+ average growth in a decade. I find it hard to believe you are seeing 6’2”+ people on a regular basis. But maybe, who knows.

When I’m on buses, trains, subways, etc. I can see well over the heads of the majority of people. I’m sure other tall foreigners have thought about the same thing. I remember I was in Zhengzhou, Henan once maybe 5 years ago and there was a black guy on the bus, he obviously hadn’t seen another foreigner in a while either, so we waved at each other, it was just a very memorable moment. Not a single person on that bus was even to my chin. And Henan people aren’t short by Chinese standards, above average. Anyway, those are just my anecdotal observations, by no means scientific, so it’s silly to argue over them.
I was referring to older people (50+, who tend to be a lot shorter). People in their 30s also tend to be shorter than 18-20 year olds by maybe 1.5 inch (3cm) but not significant. Things like that are really common in fast developing nations that previously suffered horrendous malnutrition just decades before.

I find it hard to believe that your wife was the tallest in her class. She may have been exaggerated a bit imo or just happened to be in a shorter class. My cousin, who is 18 and lives in Dalian is 5'9 but is shorter than 80% of guys in his class (even though he is only half an inch shorter than average for his age). Every class is different.

Also, what I meant is that even if the average height is 5'8-5'10, you will still see plenty of people 6'2 in a really crowded region. It's how statistics works. A young person (around age 20) in Dalian who is 6'2 is the rough equivalent of a young white Anglo man around 6'3. They aren't that rare.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:07 PM

18 posts, read 28,654 times
If I have 1.73 cm height could I fit to Asian society easiely because I think I am too short for European standards :/ Or maybe there are any european country where everybody doesn't cafe and I will find someone? ;(

Old 04-21-2018, 09:07 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
South Koreans, due to diet, average 5 inches (24 cm) taller than North Koreans.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:56 AM

116 posts, read 191,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ertix View Post
If I have 1.73 cm height could I fit to Asian society easiely because I think I am too short for European standards :/ Or maybe there are any european country where everybody doesn't cafe and I will find someone? ;(
You will fit in all three East Asian countries but You would still be about average in height, I think. Maybe slightly taller at best but not by much. In some parts of China and South Korea You might even be considered slightly short.

Old 04-23-2018, 05:58 AM

116 posts, read 191,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Yes, there’s a big difference in height between the two because one is basically malnourished. Historically though North Koreans are a few inches taller than South Koreans, with the northeast part of North Korea being the tallest.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
5 inches is 12 cm /facepalm

Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,535,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabeha View Post
5 inches is 12 cm /facepalm
maybe it is a korean cm and shorter?

Chinese have a different counting system too, they hse a long scale or short? i forget which is which for counting

1 billion = 1,000 million for example, or something, i forget how it works

Chinese Numbers: Numerical Chinese Characters

Last edited by MLSFan; 04-26-2018 at 06:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia