Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM

27 posts, read 53,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There's diversity in China too.
It's said in Harbin, a northeastern city, the average of young males is 178cm (5'11"). However in some rural areas of south China, it is barely 170cm (5'7").
In China's case people from the southwestern part of the country are the shortest in average. However, that doesn't mean they ain't tough

Old 03-21-2013, 05:21 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Diet is part of it, but genetics still does play a role. I've travelled to 7 countries in Asia, and have found the tallest in Northern China (where the average is similar to here), and the shortest in Vietnam, Malaysia and Indonesia. I'm not tall myself, about 175 cm of 5'9", yet it was rare to meet a Vietnamese male my height or taller. I found myself frequently dwarfed in China, to my surprise. Singapore, Taiwan, Hong Kong.etc all benefit from first world lifestyle/diet. The Japanese still don't seem as tall as a lot of Koreans and Chinese. Older Chinese do seem a lot shorter, though, which probably skews stats a lot.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The tallest man in the world is Mongol, from Inner Mongolia. Mongols tend to be taller than most other Asians, but I guess we're counting Mongolia as Inner Asia, not East Asia?
Average height of Mongolians is actually shorter than other E.Asians, but taller than SE Asians. Their diet is high in dairy and meat, so I'm not quite sure why. Maybe they're more cold adapted? Would be interested to see average heights for Siberians and Inuit. I also believe the Sami are shorter than southern Swedes.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
If find it interesting that Thailand is 2 to 3 inches taller on average than it's neighbors (Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Malaysia).
Thailand has more Chinese ancestry and the living standard is higher. Austronesians, including Malays, and Khmers are short people on average. It's not uncommon to see Filipino or Indonesian maids well under 5 feet.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:56 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhundred View Post
Asians are often stereotyped as being shorter than other groups i.e. Europeans and Africans and for some asian groups i've found that to be true on the most part, most Filipinos are quite short. However at least in North America i've noticed that the 1st generation asian North Americans are often not too dissimilar in height from their non-asian counter-parts especially the Chinese, koreans as well.

I guess i would chalk that up to improved diet? So is it just a stereotype that Asians are shorter? if not what do you think the basis for a shorter height is?
Generally I've found that Mongolians, Koreans, and northern Chinese (who have a lot of that Korean/Mongol type of blood as well), all seem to be generally quite tall.

I don't find Japanese or southeast asians to be as tall as that Korean/northern Chinese/Mongolia sphere. But I also don't find them to be exceptionally short either.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Generally I've found that Mongolians, Koreans, and northern Chinese (who have a lot of that Korean/Mongol type of blood as well), all seem to be generally quite tall.

I don't find Japanese or southeast asians to be as tall as that Korean/northern Chinese/Mongolia sphere. But I also don't find them to be exceptionally short either.
Indonesians, Filipinos and Vietnamese do stick out as short even by SE standards, at least the ones in those countries. I don't think it's just diet, either. I even noticed Viets in Hanoi were taller than other parts of the country. If seems height just increases as you go north.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,753,760 times
When I lived in a dorm in Beijing, 4 out 7 roommates of mine were over 182cm (6ft).
The tallest one was 192cm (of course it is just not normal.)

Old 03-21-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
When I lived in a dorm in Beijing, 4 out 7 roommates of mine were over 182cm (6ft).
The tallest one was 192cm (of course it is just not normal.)
When in Beijing it was common to see guys well over 6 feet. It really took me aback, actually.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 PM

844 posts, read 1,657,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Asians and Asian Americans have gotten taller due to changes in diet and lifestyle. Still shorter than most Americans, though.
Americans are only slightly taller.

Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yes. A study was done a long time ago that concluded the (once characteristic) short stature of East Asians was due to diet. Japanese in the US and Japan were studied, and it came to the conclusion you gave. Also, over generations, Japanese in Japan got taller as diet there improved. And let's not forget the Mongols and some of the other Inner Asian peoples, who tend to be tall, anyway. Maybe because dairy products (calcium) is a core part of their traditional diet...?
Another factor may be the ancestral origins of the early Asian immigrants to the US. The bulk of the early Chinese immigrants came from southern China, and in particular, from several counties in Guangdong Province - and it's pretty well known that southern Chinese tend to be shorter.

Sure, improved dietary intake over generations also helped.

Today, at least for Chinese, you have immigrants from other regions of China, including the northeast, where they tend to be fairly tall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia