Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
Tai and Austronesians supposedly have the same origin in Southern China. The Austronesians went to Taiwan, the Tais went to Laos & Thailand.

I was saying that out of all the Mainland Southeast Asians, Thais & Laos look most similar to Filipinos. Some people might say that it's Cambodians but I dont find that true at all. They may be brown like us but their facial features are quite different.
Well Austronesians left or were pushed out of the area a lot earlier. Dai left from about the 12th century, so by that time Dai were probably already intermixed by northern Chinese. The Austronesian admixture though is evident in them as it is in many Southern Chinese.

To me Khmer, Thai and Lao don't really look Austronesian though. Many still have the more classically Mongoloid eyes, even if it's not as extreme as Mongolian or Korean.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,997,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well Austronesians left or were pushed out of the area a lot earlier. Dai left from about the 12th century, so by that time Dai were probably already intermixed by northern Chinese. The Austronesian admixture though is evident in them as it is in many Southern Chinese.

To me Khmer, Thai and Lao don't really look Austronesian though. Many still have the more classically Mongoloid eyes, even if it's not as extreme as Mongolian or Korean.
At most they only left 300 years after the last wave of austronesian speaking people left southern china....also add to the fact that they are mixed with austroasiatic which left southern china much earlier then the first austronesians

and thai and lao dont have more mongoloid eyes...hell even their light skin types dont look ea

Old 05-19-2013, 09:26 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
At most they only left 300 years after the last wave of austronesian speaking people left southern china....also add to the fact that they are mixed with austroasiatic which left southern china much earlier then the first austronesians

and thai and lao dont have more mongoloid eyes...hell even their light skin types dont look ea
Austronesians went to Taiwan 5-10,000 years ago....

But still, I've noticed that Filipinos look more like Tais than Austro-Asiatic people (Vietnamese, Cambodians, some Western Indonesians) The ancient connection is still strong. Filipinos have nothing to do with Austro-Asiatic people, but we supposedly have some connection to Tai peoples

Old 05-19-2013, 09:32 AM

Plenty do, certainly to a greater extent than pure Austronesians. The 'Austro-Asiatic' people, by which I assume you mean the people who spoke proto-Austro-Asiatic because it's a linguistic term, were probably a mix of negrito type people and mongoloids who re-migrated or migrated back into SE Asia. The current look of almost all SE Asians today is noticeably of the Mongoloid type, no matter what the eye shape is, as they display a lot of genetic clustering. Yes, even Evenki with Malay. The majority of these people have relatively recent ancestry in the region.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:34 AM

Quote:

But still, I've noticed that Filipinos look more like Tais than Austro-Asiatic people (Vietnamese, Cambodians, some Western Indonesians) The ancient connection is still strong. Filipinos have nothing to do with Austro-Asiatic people, but we supposedly have some connection to Tai peoples
Thats the first wave of austronesians....notice i said last wave....the more recent austronesian migration from southern china happened during the iron age

Old 05-19-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=t...BMP6iQfo_YH4BA

I can see some resemblance. I think Filipinos have more Chinese ancestry than is believed which makes them look kind of like Thai. Thai have both the Dai input and influence from Chinese, mostly Teochew, from SEA so mostly a Southern Chinese look.

To me a classical Thai look is in between pure Austronesians and Sinids. Face shape is like Southern Chinese, but eyes are a bit more deep set with less of a tendency for the epicanthic fold.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
Thats the first wave of austronesians....notice i said last wave....
Are you referring to the Baiyue?

Baiyue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They could have been related to present-day Austronesians.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Are you referring to the Baiyue?

Baiyue - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They could have been related to present-day Austronesians. Many peoples identified as Baiyue look quite Sinid now though.
How would you classify this western visayan woman...her ancestry came from the last waves of austronesians from southern china

Old 05-19-2013, 09:41 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
No, he's referring to his ethnic group, the Karaya. He thinks they came to the Philippines during the Iron Age, because he read it somewhere online. But the Karaya speak a language related to every other Filipino language. So it's not possible that they simply came 1,000 years ago

Old 05-19-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
No, he's referring to his ethnic group, the Karaya. He thinks they came to the Philippines during the Iron Age, because he read it somewhere online. But the Karaya speak a language related to every other Filipino language. So it's not possible that they simply came 1,000 years ago
Yea lol because karaya is a austronesian language....we just stayed longer in china then formosan types did. most likely most modern filipino populations came from either southern china and malaysia. with the exception of igorots whose culture resembles taiwanese abos

If you northern filipinos came from taiwan then why dont you speak taiwanese....lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia