Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 11:48 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,795,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio_Auditore View Post
Does langauges in Northern China are lesser deverse than in Southern China?
The greatest diversity is to be found in Fujian province (Fukkien, Hokkien, Min) in Southeast China. Once part of the ancient non-Han kingdom of Minyue, it was only fully Sinicised by the Tang Dynasty, but largely by the Han. Many of the languages are believed to have Tai-Kadai/Austronesian substrate. It's said that language chances if you go for 10 miles anywhere. In those days many people rarely travelled more than 20 miles from their birthplace. The rugged terrain was a big reason.

In the more flat open plains of north China greater movement of people was enabled. This was where Imperial China was strongest, and where the Chinese civilisation began. What became Mandarin genesis has dominated this area for a long time...only since 1949 has Mandarin started encroaching onto the territories of the Southeast.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:21 AM

16 posts, read 34,234 times
In Vietnam, the people of Southern and Northern communicate each other easily, they both are difficult to understand the Center dialect accent . I can't distinguish between North Vietnamese and Tai/Kadai . South VN similar the mixed between Khmer and Chinese. North Vietnam girls are very beautiful, more than South VN so much. The language VN is unity. King of VN MinhMang had the policy of assimilation in the South VN on first half of the 19th century . About 50% people of South Vietnamese then had the origin non Viet (Khmer, Cham, Malay, Chinese and many other minority Mon-Khmer language as Ma, Stieng, Chauro...). They mixed Viet from the Center/North become the present South Vietnamese. So you look South Vietnamese like Cambodian mixed with Chinese and more Australoid than Tai/Dai/Kinh.

Last edited by cholonman; 09-23-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 09-23-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholonman View Post
In Vietnam, the people of Southern and Northern communicate each other easily, they both are difficult to understand the Center dialect accent . I can't distinguish between North Vietnamese and Tai/Kadai . South VN similar the mixed between Khmer and Chinese. North Vietnam girls are very beautiful, more than South VN so much. The language VN is unity. King of VN MinhMang had the policy of assimilation in the South VN on first half of the 19th century . About 50% people of South Vietnamese then had the origin non Viet (Khmer, Cham, Malay, Chinese and many other minority Mon-Khmer language as Ma, Stieng, Chauro...). They mixed Viet from the Center/North become the present South Vietnamese. So you look South Vietnamese like Cambodian mixed with Chinese and more Australoid than Tai/Dai/Kinh.
Yes that's what my Vietnamese friend told me, that the central dialect is hard to understand. She's from Saigon but her parents are from the north/centre and she said in Hue she sometimes had difficulty understanding them. The standard is the Hanoi dialect, but I think in the South they speak a different dialect. Interesting I heard the stereotype the girls in Saigon/the South were prettier, but there are pretty ones in the North too. The Northern Viets are more 'pure' and look closer to Southern Chinese to me.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:15 PM

Vietnam language is unity , there are not the many diffrent between dialects, the difficulty in communicate is only accent region . Saigon accent easy to understand because Saigon is average of Vietnam Country. Saigon people are 25% white, 50% medium. 25% dark skin. Hanoi 90% white, 10% medium, 0% dark . Hanoi girls very beautiful because Hanoi has been capital of Vietnam 1000 years ago. Hue girls also are very beautiful . Saigon girls are medium level .
North Vietnamese are not completly the same South Chinese. I easily distinguish the difference between Guangdong, Fukien with North Vietnamese but can't do it in case Guangxi, Yunnan people .

Last edited by cholonman; 09-23-2013 at 10:52 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Vietnam language is unity , there are not the many diffrent between dialects, the difficulty in communicate is only accent region . Saigon accent easy to understand because Saigon is average of Vietnam Country. Saigon people are 25% white, 50% medium. 25% dark skin. Hanoi 90% white, 10% medium, 0% dark . Hanoi girls very beautiful because Hanoi has been capital of Vietnam 1000 years ago. Hue girls also are very beautiful . Saigon girls are medium level .
North Vietnamese are not completly the same South Chinese. I easily distinguish the difference between Guangdong, Fukien with North Vietnamese but can't do it in case Guangxi, Yunnan people .
Yes, I notice women also tend to be fairer than men partly because they cover up/use skin lightening. I saw attractive girls throughout Vietnam, though.

No Northern Vietnamese are not exactly the same as Southern Chinese, they just seem a bit more Chinese than South Viets.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:22 AM

No, South VN have more blood of Chinese ( Guangdong, Fukien, Chaozhau) than North VN. North VN is pure Viet belong Bai Yue race similar Tay/Thai. Estimate 25->30% South Vietnamese have origin from China. 30->35% from Khmer, Cham. 40% from North VN. The accent of center VN is difficult to understand because it from accent Cham ethnic be assimilate in the time Vietnam be divided two country about 17-18th century, there was no much Viets ethnic in the center then . The accent South VN easily to understand because it be composed from North and Center after 100 years when Vietnam unity, so it is nearing with accent North more than.
In Vietnam dark-skin and fair-skin mixed each other, because communist regime against every racist.

Last edited by cholonman; 09-24-2013 at 03:33 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 04:42 AM

Quote:
No, South VN have more blood of Chinese ( Guangdong, Fukien, Chaozhau) than North VN. North VN is pure Viet belong Bai Yue race similar Tay/Thai. Estimate 25->30% South Vietnamese have origin from China. 30->35% from Khmer, Cham. 40% from North VN. The accent of center VN is difficult to understand because it from accent Cham ethnic be assimilate in the time Vietnam be divided two country about 17-18th century, there was no much Viets ethnic in the center then . The accent South VN easily to understand because it be composed from North and Center after 100 years when Vietnam unity, so it is nearing with accent North more than.
In Vietnam dark-skin and fair-skin mixed each other, because communist regime against every racist.
But I mean the people in northern Vietnam often LOOK more Chinese to me, more pale and often hard to tell apart from Chinese.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:53 AM

9 posts, read 46,028 times
How are you sure that the difference between skin color of Northern and Southern Vietnamese is not due to the difference in latitude and therefore UV ray exposure?

Old 09-24-2013, 09:50 AM

There are much North Vietnamese living in South VN . We can compare tone skin of North and South in the same enviroment . Not only dependent skin color , the face of South people are closer to Khmer, obviously are South East Asian.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranthad View Post
How are you sure that the difference between skin color of Northern and Southern Vietnamese is not due to the difference in latitude and therefore UV ray exposure?
Yes i think that plays a role too...Hanoi is a pretty cloudy place, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia