Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM

116 posts, read 212,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceofangel View Post
You would have to define what "overtly" means. For example if you are to take the article the OP linked at face value that is an overt act of aggression. However there has been relatively little reaction to it.
There was reaction to that aggression which led India to respond in kind which resulted in chinese troops packing up and going home.

Quote:
p.s. You are arguing about containment. The containment of the Soviet Union for example was to have as little to do with it as possible. That is fundamentally different from active warfare you are using as counter examples.
I'm not talking about containment alone although that will be an agenda of such an organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM

90 posts, read 203,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codexone View Post
There was reaction to that aggression which led India to respond in kind which resulted in chinese troops packing up and going home.

I'm not talking about containment alone although that will be an agenda of such an organization.
But you are arguing that there will be a multinational reaction to overt Chinese aggression. If the situation was as blatantly overt as it is made it out to be, then you would have to question how easy it is to get other nations with territorial disputes involved when they didn't even bat an eyelid at the recent flareup.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
But you are arguing that there will be a multinational reaction to overt Chinese aggression. If the situation was as blatantly overt as it is made it out to be, then you would have to question how easy it is to get other nations with territorial disputes involved when they didn't even bat an eyelid at the recent flareup.
Read this again:
If China continues doing this, it wont be long before all these countries come together to sign a mutual defence accord much like the formation of NATO against the Russian threat.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 PM

I read that part. But ask yourself, if the Chinese decides to go camping there every other month. Do you really think that Japan (as an example) would issue any sort of statement explicitly supporting India much less join a defence accord when the Senkaku/Diaoyu issue has just calmed down (especially when Abenomics seems to be working)?

Anyway I'll bump this next time something happens and then we can look at the regional responses.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
I read that part. But ask yourself, if the Chinese decides to go camping there every other month. Do you really think that Japan (as an example) would issue any sort of statement explicitly supporting India much less join a defence accord when the Senkaku/Diaoyu issue has just calmed down (especially when Abenomics seems to be working)?

Anyway I'll bump this next time something happens and then we can look at the regional responses.
Just to keep you happy.

Bloomberg: May 29, 2013
Abe Pledges With Singh to Boost Japan-India Defense Cooperation
Quote:
Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh pledged to increase defense cooperation and push for a deal that would allow the export to India of nuclear reactor parts for civilian use.
Quote:
India and Japan’s navies held their first joint exercise in June 2012, and Abe and Singh “decided to conduct such exercises on a regular basis with increased frequency,” according to the statement. The two nations will discuss ways to cooperate on using Japan’s US-2 amphibious aircraft designed for air-sea rescue operations.
Janes Defence: Jan 11, 2013.
Japan's Abe calls for 'democratic security diamond' across Asia

Quote:
Abe, who was elected in a landslide victory for his Liberal Democratic Party in mid-December 2012, said that he envisaged "a strategy whereby Australia, India, Japan, and the US state of Hawaii form a diamond to safeguard the maritime commons stretching from the Indian Ocean region to the western Pacific. I am prepared to invest, to the greatest possible extent, Japan's capabilities in this security diamond."
Defense Cooperation and Exchanges with Other Nations ?India?

Old 05-31-2013, 02:01 PM

I would be more interested if you dug up some news release where Japan condemned the Chinese incursion into India (not going to argue whether the incursion is an incursion or not, but lets just assume it is).

These kinds of diplomatic talk is all too common. In fact just a couple days ago Singh (India) and Li (China) issued a statement regarding military cooperation.

Anyway what you need to look at is what is not being said.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I would be more interested if you dug up some news release where Japan condemned the Chinese incursion into India (not going to argue whether the incursion is an incursion or not, but lets just assume it is).

These kinds of diplomatic talk is all too common. In fact just a couple days ago Singh (India) and Li (China) issued a statement regarding military cooperation.

Anyway what you need to look at is what is not being said.
Oh but it is. You're just sticking your head in the sand what with being Chinese and all.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:20 PM

Believe it or not I am actually Japanese (though I do admit I've lived in China for a bit ). I work in the financial industry as a quant so it is part of my job to look at things objectively. I am not saying you are totally wrong. However you, along with a lot of other people, are jumping the shark.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Believe it or not I am actually Japanese (though I do admit I've lived in China for a bit ). I work in the financial industry as a quant so it is part of my job to look at things objectively. I am not saying you are totally wrong. However you, along with a lot of other people, are jumping the shark.
You're not doing your job if you want to look at things objectively. And I doubt you're Japanese, considering the viewpoints of people I met when I stayed in Japan and talked politics with them extensively.

You're bouncing all over the wall and I'm trying to pin it down. All the sources I posted above point to the countries coming closer as a result of Chinese incursion. And if this continues, it might lead to a defence pact. How is this jumping the shark, my objectively looking financial industry working man?

Old 05-31-2013, 02:44 PM

It is in your right to doubt my background and tbh I don't mind if you assume I am Chinese. I grew up in Flushing after all. I understand that you are trying to discredit my PoV from an ethnic perspective.

My point was that the incident is made out to be a bigger issue than it actually was and used other countries (who have disputes with China's) reactions as a supporting argument. My next point was that China would need to do a lot worse than it is currently to give enough momentum for its neighbors to form any sort of pact. All the current "talks" are lacking in substance.

Last edited by aceofangel; 05-31-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia