Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 06:07 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,086,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix_Lennon_Ono View Post
Also, about the belief that korean women are trying to look white..well, it depends on each person of course. But most of them aren't trying to look like western people. Koreans(or east asians) have their own beauty standards and ideal beauty, which of course include rounded, bigger eyes with double eyelids, slimmer face, lighter hair etc. But they're not trying to look white. In fact, when koreans go to the surgeons, they always asked not to make them look not asian, they like double eyelids but always prefer smaller eyelids so they can retain the asian look but prettier. Its the japanese who are more into looking western I think and they like bigger eyelids, some almost droopy, and tanned skin compared to the koreans. Koreans want to look prettier but not un-asian. Watch this video to understand that beauty standard more..

Korean Plastic Surgery NOT "trying to look caucasian" - YouTube
She looks completely different, like she's another person because not only did she change her eyes but the shape of her face too, she also put a bridge on her nose. I would consider her plastic because it really transformed her into another girl.

Is it really possible for an Asian to achieve a Western/Caucasian look ? I think notwithstanding surgery and dying of hair, they will still not look so Western.

IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2cy5sed.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Hermosaa; 08-12-2013 at 06:23 AM..

Old 08-12-2013, 07:14 AM

5 posts, read 6,596 times
Well the girl in the pic in the vid (Park Min Young) is known for her quite drastic surgery so I won't defend her. She had several surgeries for her eyes and jaw shaving too, she;s not what I WONT call a plastic.
Yeah I agree they'd still look asian even with all the surgery and cosmetics, though I don't think most asians aim to look caucasian, because they are still careful not to lose the asian look when, say, going for a surgery.
But still there are several asians who want to look caucasian like singaporean blogger Dawn Yang who's purely chinese but after many surgeries she's now claiming that she's Eurasian -_-
Though, watching the vid is advisable to understand the korean beauty standards more..

Old 08-12-2013, 07:23 AM

5 posts, read 6,596 times
Ooops I've just realized I double posted.. sorry about that

About surgery hyppe in s. korea..I think its also because of the pop culture's influence..like in the early to middle 2000s when kpop was rising, the agencies won't accept people who have "defects" on their faces, especially SM entertainment, even if the kids were talented, SM's more for fresh and attractive faces, though there are agencies that don't really require their talents much pretty faces and focusmore on talent. But SM is the biggest, most prestigious one, and many young people want(ed) to be accepted and be stars so they go under the knife even before auditioning to impress the judges and officials. Now being famous is almost every youngster's dream there so they want to get some facial features fixed, especially the eyes. And you'd have bigger job opportunities when you're good looking (though I think its how it is in most countries as well)

Old 08-12-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix_Lennon_Ono View Post
Well the girl in the pic in the vid (Park Min Young) is known for her quite drastic surgery so I won't defend her. She had several surgeries for her eyes and jaw shaving too, she;s not what I WONT call a plastic.
Yeah I agree they'd still look asian even with all the surgery and cosmetics, though I don't think most asians aim to look caucasian, because they are still careful not to lose the asian look when, say, going for a surgery.
But still there are several asians who want to look caucasian like singaporean blogger Dawn Yang who's purely chinese but after many surgeries she's now claiming that she's Eurasian -_-
Though, watching the vid is advisable to understand the korean beauty standards more..
OMG, what a transformation. I didn't know it was possible for pure Asians to look mixed until I saw her pictures.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:07 PM

I mean I didn't know that a pure Asian can achieve a " FAKE " Eurasian look through surgery until I saw her pictures.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 AM

101 posts, read 386,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
i've been watching a lot of s. korean rom-coms lately (thanks to netflix and dramafever), but since s. korea is known for its obsession with and heavy plastic surgery utilization, im wondering as to the extent of those actresses being general representation of s. korean beauty. im thinking if the middle class people can afford plastic surgery (which, if you compare to the philippines, only the top 10% can afford such), do you have to look among the impoverished (which i think s. korea doesnt have much of) to look for the people with natural beauty? i feel that if i were to visit s. korea, i would find everyone there, especially the women, to look plastic. it makes me feel like there's less genuine people there.
I see the other thread you created, why are you interested in teaching there then if you feel the women are fake? If this thread gets posted to other forums Korean related, you can kiss that job possibility of teaching in Korea good bye.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:29 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien Lee View Post
I see the other thread you created, why are you interested in teaching there then if you feel the women are fake? If this thread gets posted to other forums Korean related, you can kiss that job possibility of teaching in Korea good bye.

oh i definitely don't mind not teaching in korea, just exploring possibilities. i can kiss korea goodbye too, as if i can be threatened by not being able to work there. just sayin'!

but anyway, what has finding korean women fake got to do with teaching in korea?

Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 AM

101 posts, read 386,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilam98 View Post
oh i definitely don't mind not teaching in korea, just exploring possibilities. i can kiss korea goodbye too, as if i can be threatened by not being able to work there. just sayin'!

but anyway, what has finding korean women fake got to do with teaching in korea?
Let's just say you might as well cross Korea off your list....

Old 08-14-2013, 05:39 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,352,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrien Lee View Post
Let's just say you might as well cross Korea off your list....

so? why does it bother you that much? i'm not that desparate for your beloved korea.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:28 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
She looks completely different, like she's another person because not only did she change her eyes but the shape of her face too, she also put a bridge on her nose. I would consider her plastic because it really transformed her into another girl.

Is it really possible for an Asian to achieve a Western/Caucasian look ? I think notwithstanding surgery and dying of hair, they will still not look so Western.

IMG]http://i42.tinypic.com/2cy5sed.jpg[/IMG]

Those photos look creepy. Everytime I see Asians trying to achieve those effects with their eyes either with photo editing software or plastic surgery, I think it looks really creepy. Not cute or pretty at all. In my opinion, if they want to look white, then they need the whole package deal. You can't look white with just big eyes, no no. Besides, that's just silly. Never understood the need some people have to look like somebody they are not
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia