Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: China or Japan?
China 26 27.37%
Japan 69 72.63%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 02:23 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

I've already been to China, but if I hadn't been to either it would still be China by the barest whisker. Both are fascinating countries and not too far from me on a world scale, and both have an interesting mix of the traditional and the supermodern. Both also boast natural beauty, although China is probably the most diverse single country on the planet (from palm fringed tropical beaches, to sub-arctic tundra, to the Himalayas, scorching deserts, towering limestone karsts).

I intend to make this an ongoing thing, and you can start your own 'battles' if you like.

Which would you rather go to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
I've recently been to both. I liked Japan better but I won't dispute your claim that China has diverse topography and cultures.

The major problem with China is that it is following the American pattern of homogenizing regions. New construction (and the emphasis is on new New NEW!) Da'li looks like Xi'an looks like Beijing, looks like Guanzhou, looks like Kashgar, looks like Wuhan.

The second biggest problem is the rampant commercialization and disregard for history, art, and culture that started before the horrific Cultural Revolution and continues to this day. I watched while a Chinese backhoe tore down the last wall of a 600 year-old monestary in Shangri-la. I had to catch myself from laughing in the face of a fake "monk" who was perverting Buddhism trying to peddle plastic good luck charms in the temple by telling people they would have bad luck if they didn't buy it. Rather than venerate and preserve the old, they prefer to tear it down and build a shiny plaster-and-cinderblock disney-style copy to snare (domestic) tourist dollars, and it's glaringly obvious and sad.

The Japanese are much better at preserving tradition and meshing it with moderninity. Of all the countries I've visited, I never felt the disrespectful commodification of history and culture as much as I did in mainland China.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:10 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,603,722 times
Japan, only because I haven't been there. I go to China all the time for family reasons.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:22 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,965 times
China, especially for a long holiday. Japan if it's a very short one.

Last edited by noela; 02-15-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 02:15 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,999 times
China is geographically much more diverse than Japan. It may take them another 30 years to catch up in commerce and technology. The annoying part is they are getting more and more expensive, I've to spend much more to visit China than say 5 years ago.
The Chinese are becoming richer, so much so that I'm seeing tourists from China buying up million-dollar-houses in North America.
It's still a choice destination for sightseeing and offers great opportunity ... fragrant wood that went through customs uneventfully fetches 3000x profit by the time it reaches Japan.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:27 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
I've recently been to both. I liked Japan better but I won't dispute your claim that China has diverse topography and cultures.

The major problem with China is that it is following the American pattern of homogenizing regions. New construction (and the emphasis is on new New NEW!) Da'li looks like Xi'an looks like Beijing, looks like Guanzhou, looks like Kashgar, looks like Wuhan.

The second biggest problem is the rampant commercialization and disregard for history, art, and culture that started before the horrific Cultural Revolution and continues to this day. I watched while a Chinese backhoe tore down the last wall of a 600 year-old monestary in Shangri-la. I had to catch myself from laughing in the face of a fake "monk" who was perverting Buddhism trying to peddle plastic good luck charms in the temple by telling people they would have bad luck if they didn't buy it. Rather than venerate and preserve the old, they prefer to tear it down and build a shiny plaster-and-cinderblock disney-style copy to snare (domestic) tourist dollars, and it's glaringly obvious and sad.

The Japanese are much better at preserving tradition and meshing it with moderninity. Of all the countries I've visited, I never felt the disrespectful commodification of history and culture as much as I did in mainland China.
Oh I know, a good example is when they tore down all those old 'hutongs' - neighbourhoods that are hundreds of years old in Beijing to 'modernise' the place. Don't they realise how much things like that attract tourists? China is like the US in the 1950s - just build, build, build. I went to the world's biggest shopping mall (at the time, they've probably bettered themselves twice over now!) and it was full of Chanel and Louis Vutton stores that were so deserted it was eerie; and this was at 3pm on a Saturday! I hope they begin to appreciate what is important.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:11 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Oh I know, a good example is when they tore down all those old 'hutongs' - neighbourhoods that are hundreds of years old in Beijing to 'modernise' the place. Don't they realise how much things like that attract tourists? China is like the US in the 1950s - just build, build, build. I went to the world's biggest shopping mall (at the time, they've probably bettered themselves twice over now!) and it was full of Chanel and Louis Vutton stores that were so deserted it was eerie; and this was at 3pm on a Saturday! I hope they begin to appreciate what is important.
It's funny, I say the same thing. It is a LOT like 1950's America. I wonder if they'll have a "Blue Scare" led by Yu-Chen McCarthy?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:14 PM

1,264 posts, read 3,861,999 times
And world's? biggest shopping mall in Canton? or Quangzhou? that has no customers for years. Such a waste of resources.
I learned that travelers can't access certain regions or can't do so as freely as a Chinese resident. Any advice on getting around that. I'm feeling a bit adventurous and I may have more time to tap in to the vast opportunities before everyone man and his dog jump in to the wagon.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:47 PM

895 posts, read 2,366,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
Japan, only because I haven't been there. I go to China all the time for family reasons.
For me China, for similar reasons.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:34 PM

860 posts, read 2,205,508 times
I will take Japan over China. I'm a bit of a WWII history buff so that would be one reason. Also Mt. Fuji looks splendid. But the chance to check out the battleship Mikasa and the world's largest model of the Yamato would inspire me.

Moderator cut: copyrighted images are not permitted.......consult the TOS

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-15-2010 at 09:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia