Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 AM

37,145 posts, read 39,394,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
They're both similar ... Size, Economy, Chinese and both were governed by Britain before. But I heard that English is better in Singapore than Hongkong ?
Yes, English is the basic language of instruction in Singapore schools and has been since the 80s, so you actually have several generations of Singaporeans by now who grew up learning English. In addition to that, the population, including just the Chinese population, had widely varying home languages/dialects so the only recourse for communication was English. This is different from Hong Kong in that the vast majority of people were Chinese who have been there or in the area for millennia and are usually communicate using Cantonese. Singapore is also substantially more diverse than Hong Kong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 12:58 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,992,461 times
They've got every reason to, but I have never heard a Singaporean badmouth Hong Kong or Hong Konger badmouth Singapore. I guess they're all too busy with their lives to worry about the other.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:04 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times
I wasn't aware there was much of a rivalry between the two, but I can see how they're eminently comparable. Both are relatively contained city states (okay HK is not technically one, but kind of was pre-1997 and for all intents and purposes still operates as one), both are 'Asian Tigers', both were really established by the British as major trading ports and commercial centres (at least in their modern incarnations), and both have relatively Westernised, globalised populations and economies.

I think HK might still have the edge over Singapore in GDP/wealth, but Singapore is catching up. Singapore has a more 'pan-Asiatic' feel while HK still feels more local/Chinese.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:21 PM

250 posts, read 661,774 times
Singapore is winning the rivalry. It's cleaner, safer, has better English, better (spoken) Mandarin, uses Simplified Chinese, has a higher per capita real GDP, and a higher overall GDP, and is more environmental. The English standard in Hong Kong is declining. That's because recently there has been an increase in schools using Chinese as the language of instruction. But all schools in Singapore must teach in English.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:22 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Errrrrrrr have you ever been to Singapore?

Singapore is 74% Chinese (and that's not Chinese-dominated according to you?) And Muslims only account for 15% of the population, and almost all are Malays, with a significant population of Indian and Arab Muslims. But still, Buddhism, Taoism, and Christianity are far larger than Islam in Singapore.
Actually Singapore is as Muslim as it is Christian. It still has those Malay roots, from it's name, national anthem, a lot of the place names, and of course a lot of the food is very Malay influenced.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:11 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times
I bet this rivalry is exaggerated but something to consider is that Hong Kong is more of an immigrant city. Singapore has lots of immigrants too, but poor mainland chinese have always flooded into it for opportunity and it has gotten worse.

Another thing to consider is that Hong Kong has more rivalry. A big reason Hong Kong became wealthy was because it was the gateway into China, espcially during the communist years. With special economic zones other cities, especially Shanghai are challenging Hong Kong.

Also Singapore is mostly Buddhist, then followed by Christian.

The straights also really help Singapore.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:47 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
I think Singapore's main rival is Kuala Lumpur, not Hong Kong, although a rivalry with HK definitely exists, as the two are more comparable economically and in global importance. Singapore is pretty multi-ethnic (despite the Chinese majority) while Hong Kong feels most Chinese.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:19 AM

440 posts, read 662,378 times
They are the most global cities in Asia along with Tokyo, but focus on different regions. Singapore mainly on SE Asia, Hong Kong on E Asia and Tokyo on Japan only. Shanghai mainly focuses on Mainland China.

Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I bet this rivalry is exaggerated but something to consider is that Hong Kong is more of an immigrant city. Singapore has lots of immigrants too, but poor mainland chinese have always flooded into it for opportunity and it has gotten worse.

Another thing to consider is that Hong Kong has more rivalry. A big reason Hong Kong became wealthy was because it was the gateway into China, espcially during the communist years. With special economic zones other cities, especially Shanghai are challenging Hong Kong.

Also Singapore is mostly Buddhist, then followed by Christian.

The straights also really help Singapore.
Singapore is 30% foreign-born. That's not something to be dismissed lightly.

I do question what the future holds.

HK's status as an independent beacon of capitalism is under the shadow of what will become of that status come 2047. The mobile young as well as the far-sighted rich have reservations about gambling their future on the caprice of Beijing in this matter. Aside from that, HK does not seem to be embracing its Anglosphere past with the fervour that Singapore has. It's not surprising, as HK is being transformed by Mandarin-speaking students and workers, as well as wealthy tourists and investors.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:30 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
They competing to for an extremely elite prize: to be a global financial capital, i.e., the London or New York of Asia. There are lots of important financial centers, for example Chicago and Frankfurt, but they don’t have clout and status of London or New York. Many billionaires and oligarchs have at least one apartment in London or New York. But Chicago? Not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia