Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times

Advertisements

What good is friendliness if you're more likely to get murdered or kidnapped?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,652,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
Forbes website surveys

Top 15 World Friendliest Countries (4 is in Asia)
#1 New Zealand - In Photos: The World's Friendliest Countries - Forbes

06. Turkey

08. Philippines

10. Malaysia

14. Singapore
I don't think that trully reflects a country's friendliness level, how did the land of smiles like Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia miss the spot, and what trully amuse me is how Singapore did make it as one the list, wow amazing!

Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,071,354 times
I haven't been to all of the countries, but this is my experience

Japan: With a few exceptions I think Japan is very friendly. Customer service was good, if you are stuck in a subway people actually come up to help you, and there are people who help foreigners to know where to go. I found service quality to be quite decent. The japanese friends I have are quite nice.

Taiwan:
Again a very friendly country and good cusomer service. However, you are less likely to get help. Probably due to their poor English. I had a lot of fun in Taiwan.

China: Can be very friendly, but can also be the opposite. When I have been at hotels in Beijing I have met a lot of people. It is easy to get to know people in China. My close friends and their family are very friendly too. Customer service is often good, but is very bureaucratic and impersonal. The exception is street shops where they are very friendly. But there is a big negative about China. People working in the government are very unfriendly.

Hong Kong: Not a very friendly city. If someone approaches you in the street you can be certain he wants something in return. Customer service is decent, but impersonal. I have been to Hong Kong many times, I like it, but it is not a friendly city.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:19 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,977 times
Friendly: Thailand and Bali; non-big city China
Guardedly Friendly: Japan
Unfriendly: Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea
Cannot Fully Trust: Philippines

Old 11-26-2014, 10:46 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhanifin View Post
From the countries I've visited:

1. Philippines
2. Vietnam
3. Malaysia
4. Thailand
5. China (people have bad manners, but they are very friendly because I can speak chinese)
6. Japan (they are extremely nice, but too shy to be considered "friendly")
7. Cambodia
8. South Korea

I've never had a difficult time travelling in Asia, with the exception of South Korea. Customer service is lousy, people ignore you, and they have attitude.
airport personnel in Korea and Taiwan are very friendly and helpful

Old 11-27-2014, 02:11 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,378,309 times
Friendliest - Thailand and Philippines
Least Friendly - Hong Kong

I never realized South Korea aren't that friendly. Probably because I am with the locals during my entire 3 weeks stay in Seoul/Suwon.

I found Chinese people (esp those in less urban areas) to be friendly. I also enjoyed my stay in Kaohsiung, Taiwan... I was invited to a family dinner and that's remarkable. They prepared nice food and wine for me.

Old 11-27-2014, 03:03 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Friendliest - Thailand and Philippines
Least Friendly - Hong Kong

I never realized South Korea aren't that friendly. Probably because I am with the locals during my entire 3 weeks stay in Seoul/Suwon.

I found Chinese people (esp those in less urban areas) to be friendly. I also enjoyed my stay in Kaohsiung, Taiwan... I was invited to a family dinner and that's remarkable. They prepared nice food and wine for me.
It seems nobody likes HKers. Mainland Chinese don't like them either (and it is mutual).

However, the few Hong Kong guys/girls I know are decent. The only problem is that they don't party with other Chinese, but stick to themselves. Even Taiwanese often party with mainlanders.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:43 PM

645 posts, read 834,926 times
I guess, you cant judge friendliness as such. It all based on individuals.

But yeah, overall picture i would say, India tops it. Unfriendly i would say Koreans would make it.

Old 12-05-2014, 02:02 PM

9 posts, read 10,960 times
Chinese government is anti-american like russian government but the people's feeling of americans can varied.
Most Chinese are anti-japan

Old 12-05-2014, 09:46 PM

8 posts, read 12,777 times
Chinese noawadays can be as arrogant as the Americans. Having the same large country syndrome. The Chinese may look down on foreigners.
It is very likely China will overtake the US in GDP in the future. However, most other countries will not allied to both US and China, or allied to US instead of allied to China. Russia and China will remain loners in world politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyushBhat View Post
I think India is most friendly and China most unfriendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia