Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 12:18 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Let's put it in a ranking with other similar famous harbor cities - Sydney, Cape Town, etc.?

What other cities would you rank up there with Hong Kong, and in what order?
Those are good ones. For other city harbors, Rio de Janeiro, Vancouver, Lisbon and San Francisco are notable, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,355,249 times
I visited Hong Kong on a rainy day when one couldn't see from Victoria Peak too much because of the low lying clouds. But of what I did on the way down when the clouds started to lift and from photos, I would say the views are great and definitely world class.

Old 05-05-2020, 03:51 AM

1,136 posts, read 523,904 times
Not sure how high or low HK would rank, but surely better than Macau's narrow, shallow and muddy water leading to Macau's decline when modern ships need big deep sheltered harbours.

Zhuhai's deep western port, not the one near the city centre, is also better than Macau's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Where would you rank Hong Kong in a 'world's beautiful harbors' list?

Old 05-05-2020, 06:24 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomboy- View Post
Not sure how high or low HK would rank, but surely better than Macau's narrow, shallow and muddy water leading to Macau's decline when modern ships need big deep sheltered harbours.

Zhuhai's deep western port, not the one near the city centre, is also better than Macau's.
Honk Kong would rank fairly high on a list. It’s got amazing scenery.

Old 05-05-2020, 09:18 AM

7,775 posts, read 10,153,660 times
I don't know how to rank (skyline? nature? uniqueness) plus I haven't been to most of them. I'm here to see pictures and hear the different options tho!

Kotor, Montenegro is one that seems to have fantastic photos and a unique backdrop. Some in Vietnam too like Ha Long Bay.

Old 05-05-2020, 10:59 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,764,113 times
HK Harbour used to be a lot better 50-60 years ago but too many highrises have gone up and blocked out the view of Victoria Peak from the Kowloon side. Tolo Harbour in the New Territories is more scenic.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:41 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Hong Kong's Victoria Harbor, along with Monaco and Hakodate, are three of the most famous night time landscapes. Japanese call it "million dollars view".

IMO the view is nicer 30 years ago before the airport was relocated. By that time there was height limit on the buildings in Kowloon. There was more contour on the Kowloon side. I could even see the far away distant Lion's Rock.

Actually nowadays the smog has been cleared up because the factories have been halting operation in the Pearl River Delta.

On the other hand, the ride on the cross-harbor Star Ferry has been less enjoyable. The ride used to be over 10 minutes but now it takes half the time due to reclamation on both sides of the harbor. The water current is more swift and the ride is more bumpy.

P.S. Part of the thrill is the Peak tram which goes uphill at a gradient of 27 degrees.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

On the other hand, the ride on the cross-harbor Star Ferry has been less enjoyable. The ride used to be over 10 minutes but now it takes half the time due to reclamation on both sides of the harbor. The water current is more swift and the ride is more bumpy.

P.S. Part of the thrill is the Peak tram which goes uphill at a gradient of 27 degrees.

I last rode the Star Ferry in 2002 and nearly got seasick because of the swift currents. Never again. The Peak Tram is great for first timers but I no longer get thrills from it. I'll just stick with riding Kowloon Motor Bus routes through what's left of HK's countryside in the New Territories thank you.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,143,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I last rode the Star Ferry in 2002 and nearly got seasick because of the swift currents. Never again. The Peak Tram is great for first timers but I no longer get thrills from it. I'll just stick with riding Kowloon Motor Bus routes through what's left of HK's countryside in the New Territories thank you.
If you are nostalgic about the old Victoria Harbor, watch William Holden's made in 50s movie "Love is a many splendored thing". At the end of the film, there is a panoramic view of the Victoria Harbor.

There is more thrill in getting on the double deck bus to do a circle Hong Kong island tour. Those roads are so narrow and winding while the bus drivers seem to be crazy like Evel Knievel. There are quite a few romantic small towns like Stanley, Repulse Bay and Shek O on the route where you can spend a couple hours leisurely.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
If you are nostalgic about the old Victoria Harbor, watch William Holden's made in 50s movie "Love is a many splendored thing". At the end of the film, there is a panoramic view of the Victoria Harbor.

There is more thrill in getting on the double deck bus to do a circle Hong Kong island tour. Those roads are so narrow and winding while the bus drivers seem to be crazy like Evel Knievel. There are quite a few romantic small towns like Stanley, Repulse Bay and Shek O on the route where you can spend a couple hours leisurely.

I have a picture book I bought during my last HK visit that showed the old Victoria Harbor back in the 1960's when my mother was growing up in HK. The train terminus used to be right next to the Star Ferry terminal (the clock tower is all that is left) and you could clearly see the looming Victoria Peak on the other side. It was a very romantic scene for sure for those getting off the KCR and ready to cross over to the island side. The nearby Peninsula Hotel (the original building) reportedly had equally good views that are now obscured by reclaimed and redeveloped land in front. I guess times change and we have to go with the times don't we?

Stanley and Repulse Bay are still leisurely? The last time I visited Stanley, it was packed with tourists and vendors selling knick knacks. Maybe I have a bias. I don't know why but I never thought much about the island side in all the times I visited HK, to me it's too Western, too cosmopolitan, and in some way too affluent for my tastes. Kowloon is too crowded as well. My favorite part of HK remains the New Territories where most of my relatives now live, I can get away from being an American and not mingle with other Americans, which is what I like to do while in HK. I just miss the old KMB "hot dogs" that is the un-airconditioned double deckers. They were my favorite vehicles to ride on with the windows all wide open and air blowing into your face, something Hong Kong youngsters will sadly never get to experience now just like the full Victoria Harbor view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia